• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hunters Hill take out the runners up and will be there next Saturday at 3PM. Hell of a game - great counterattack feeding off the odd Waverley error, and staunch defence.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Newport 3rds threw a premiership away by not taking points in front however thank god for first grade. The try just before halftime was first class. UNSW had two opportunities to level it but dropped cold two certain tries.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Need to open the iris on the camera a bit more in this Whales v Colleagues game - look like they're playing in the dark!

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Burke: St Pats defeat HH on a post-siren drop goal.
Interested to hear from Eastcoast, given his previous thoughts on SP’s end of game melts.
Devestated for 2's - But Credit to St Pats - They got it done in the end and have a good squad. No melt down today. Felt sorry for Pats colts - no one likes to bow out after a draw.

Huge effort from 1's - Great win. Looking forward to next week. Hoping these 2 belt each other now

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 1 GFs next week are lining up as:

Burke: Waverley(1) v St Pats (3) -this is still in progress but Waves just got their 4th try so it would need a heck of a comeback.
Kentwell: TBC

Sutherland: Mosman (1) v Waverley (3)
Judd: Blue Mountains (1) v Waverley (2)
Whiddon: Waverley (1) v Mosman (3)
Barbour: Colleagues (1) v Waverley (2)
Burke: Waverley(1) v St Pats (3)
Kentwell: Colleagues (1) v Hunters Hill (3)

Minor premiers contesting all games. Waverley contesting all bar Kentwell.

The Waverley Walrus

Bob McCowan (2)

Minor premiers contesting all games. Waverley contesting all bar Kentwell.

Attachments

• A8CDA774-B1D7-43FE-ACF9-FAB4455CC042.jpeg
    A8CDA774-B1D7-43FE-ACF9-FAB4455CC042.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 72

oldmate11

Herbert Moran (7)
Too early to talk about 2023 comp structure? Here’s what I’ve whipped up so far.

Div split

1 - 5 grades + colts

Colleagues

Mosman

Hunters hill

St Pats

blue mountains

Forest

Waverley

Petersham

2 - 3 grades + colts + combined 4th grade comp

Epping

Newport

Hawkesbury valley

Hills

Lindfield

UNSW

Drummoyne

Harlequins

3 - 2 grades + combined 3rd grade comp + optional colts (radford)

Beecroft

Old ignatians

Blacktown

Briars

Knox

Manly savers

Oysters

old barker

4 - 2 grades + optional colts (radford)

Redfield

Merrylands

Mac uni

Chatswood

Renegades

Raptors

Northern saints

HAC

Radford cup

Beecroft

Old Ignatians

Blacktown

Briars

Knox

Old barker

Wakehurst

Colleagues 2

3rd grade + 4th grade comp

Epping

Newport

Hills

Lindfield

UNSW

Drummoyne

Beecroft

Briars

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
And minor premiers take Barraclough. Close game.
Just watched the Barraclough this morning. Was this 2 teams who didnt want to win? Newport had the game in the bag and decided to gift it to UNSW and then UNSW decided they didnt want to win. Seemed to have alot of possession.
Feel bad for the player who dropped the ball. Never nice to see in a GF.

Congrats to all the other teams in Div 2 - Good mix of winners across the grades.

@Mangoman - Good win by you boys in 4's. Guess the players having to cover 3 grades caused the late mishap in 1's.

Waterloo_Ned

Herbert Moran (7)
Congratulations to all premiers.

1st Grade - Newport 17-12 winners. A well deserved premiership for the men from Porters.

2nd Grade - Lindfield 27-19 take out an undefeated premiership. They really showed what a high quality 10 can do for any team. They were the best team we played all year.

Colts - Lindfield 15 - 3 win. Is this the start of the Old Soldier era? One of the best colts teams in Subbies, strong second grade, big numbers throughout the club and a strong old boys network who fills lower grades.

3rd Grade - Hills 7 - 5. Congratulations to Hills. They were the best team we played all year. Hopefully now the games stop and half that side play top 2 grades. The 12 should be playing Kentwell Cup and the 2 could be in Shute Shield.

4th Grade - UNSW 12 - 5 - A huge boiler with UNSW winning. I don't know if I agree with it, but the strategy of prioritising 4s has paid off for them.

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
3rd Grade - Hills 7 - 5. Congratulations to Hills. They were the best team we played all year. Hopefully now the games stop and half that side play top 2 grades. The 12 should be playing Kentwell Cup and the 2 could be in Shute Shield.
Northmead I was watching a different game as through my blue eye Newport dominated for 55 minutes, were held up 3 or 4 times over the line and should of won the game comfortably. I still cannot explain what Newport were thinking not taking 3 or 4 kickable penalities leading 5-0. Hills really didnt look like scoring a try all game except to their credit on the bell. Congratulations to Hills on their premiership as Newport will absolutely rue how they threw away what should of been a pretty comfortable victory.

The Wombat

Herbert Moran (7)

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
- Mosman have players that should be playing 1st Grade, not sure how they get away with it. Waverley have a bit of size for a 5th grade team, however cant see them matching the skill of this Whales squad. Watch out for the 15. Looks handy. Mosman by 15

- Mountains will be winning this one. All GFs are tight games, but I feel the good players for Mountains have been going at 60% all year and if they decide to put their foot down, it will be hard for Waverley to match. Mountains by 7

- Mosman with an upset here I think. Waverley strong all year, however I have heard a few of their better players have been taken up into 2nd grade this week so that may disrupt the rhythm. Mosman have a knack of winning GF's. Mosman win this by 3.

- Didnt watch too much of Colts this year, so unsure how this one will go. Surely Colleagues win another colts premiership. Colleagues by 10

- I feel like I need to tip Waverley in at least one game, would be a horrid day to lose 5 Grand Finals. St Pats played their GF last week. They outplayed us, however I cant see them knocking off a very strong Waverley team here. Waverley by 5

- Ill leave this one up to the others to analyse. The boys are up for it. Would be a huge achievement to win 3 Premierships in a row (2 x Barraclough and 1 Kentwell)

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Suthos:
Mosman v
Waverley.
Ill be backing the sperm whales on the opening account of the day. With only 1 loss this season, Ill think they'll be too strong.

Judd:
Blue Mountains v
Waverley.
With the mountain gone through the season undefeated, with a side that looks too good for 4th Grade, they will take this one out against the backpackers.

Whiddon:
Waverley v
Mosman
I'm backing Waverley in this 3rd grade match up. They've been too strong this season going through undefeated, winning by a bonus point in 13 games (wow!). However, Colleagues ran them very close in the semi, which would be worrying for the ExPats. Along with Mosman polishing off a very strong blue mountains side, I think this will be a very close affair. The game I am least unsure about.

Barbour:
Colleagues v
Waverley
A div 1 heavyweight clash! 1 v 2. This will be one of the best games on the day in my opinion. The competitions best forward pack (Colleagues) v the competitions best backline (Waverley). It will be interesting to see who prevails, but as the old adage goes "Forwards win the game, backs decide by how much" and I believe this will ring true this Saturday. Colleagues pack will be too strong for Waverley, if Colleagues can force Waverley to play their game.

On an interesting side note, if Colleagues win Barbour. It will be first Colts double crown, in subbies history! With Colleagues winning the Radford Cup earlier this year.

Burke:
Waverley v
St Pats.
Waverleys burke team has looked insane this year, powerful forwards coupled with a strong, fast backs. I think Waverley will put the Patties boys to the sword.

Kentwell:
Colleagues v
Hunters Hill
The main event, a clash of old rivals. Some good close tough match ups between the two teams this year. With each team taking the chocolates home at-least once this year. Colleagues first final berth in nearly decade, and will be looking for their first Kentwell trophy since 2011. I think the Blue Giants will wont slip up in this game, especially after form dip in the latter part of the season. Hunters Hill will be strong, and you cannot count them out whatsoever.