• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sydney Subbies 2022

Tah Man

Larry Dwyer (12)
What a hoax the Kentwell Cup luncheon is. Pigs! The clubs in the lower divisions have propped up Subbies again in 2022 and it’s a big wankfest with only Division 1 clubs invited.
The Knox people lunching it up should be ashamed of their contribution to rugby this year.
You realise its called the "Kentwell" cup lunch, not the Subbies lunch?

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
You realise its called the "Kentwell" cup lunch, not the Subbies lunch?
Good one, Tah man. This is a traditional event that all clubs in Subbies land go to.
Subbies is supposedly the game for the game itself… or is it the game for those who play in division 1.
Did you see a notice for the Barraclough lunch, or the Clark lunch, or the McLean lunch, or the Jeffrey lunch?
Thanks Tah Man, jog on.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good one, Tah man. This is a traditional event that all clubs in Subbies land go to.
Subbies is supposedly the game for the game itself… or is it the game for those who play in division 1.
Did you see a notice for the Barraclough lunch, or the Clark lunch, or the McLean lunch, or the Jeffrey lunch?
Thanks Tah Man, jog on.
Keep your shirt on WW. One would assume that a Kentwell Cup lunch would only involve teams from that division.

Did you score an invite to the Shute Shield luncheon as well? Relax mate

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not sure how the invitation system works, and I admit to not knowing everyone in Subbies, but I definitely spoke to Lane Cove while I was there. Neither of the gents involved are Board members or Life Members as far as I'm aware.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One would assume that a Kentwell Cup lunch would only involve teams from that division.

Usually the "Kentwell Lunch" is on GF Day for Div 1, and you'd have the President and Secretary given invitations from each club across all Divisions. I believe that is still happening but is a drinks function from 2PM at TG, rather than a lunch.

The lunch today also celebrated 100 years since the Kentwell Cup was introduced.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Usually the "Kentwell Lunch" is on GF Day for Div 1, and you'd have the President and Secretary given invitations from each club across all Divisions. I believe that is still happening but is a drinks function from 2PM at TG, rather than a lunch.

The lunch today also celebrated 100 years since the Kentwell Cup was introduced.
Oh well, best not to invite the riff raff that pays its dues and props the top division up.

Keep your shirt on WW. One would assume that a Kentwell Cup lunch would only involve teams from that division.

Did you score an invite to the Shute Shield luncheon as well? Relax mate
can’t wait for the lower division lunches then….

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
From an Epping point of view, it is incredibly disappointing to find out that a club like Lane Cove (no issues with the Covies) are invited to the Ketwell luncheon, however, as a club, Epping were not.
This season there were 24 clubs that fielded 3 or more grades in regular competitions (not including Halligans Cup). Of those 24, only 6 clubs fulfilled their divisional responsibility and playing responsibility for the entire 2023 season. By this, I mean, they fielded the required number of games and did not forfeit a single fixture. These are the clubs that should have been rewarded and recognised as part of the Subbies luncheon.
The Subbies executive and the Subbies board have alot of work to do over the off season, because they need to fix the mess that the competition is right now. Sticking to strict and rigid rules regarding player numbers, teams and divisional status (or God-like status if you can make it to Kentwell) will drive more and more clubs out of business.

Division 1 does not stand alone in Subbies and it cannot. I have a copy of the Subbies book, "The Game for the Game Itself", somewhere and it is duly noted how the competition survives based on the strength of its numbers. Ostracising clubs and players is not the way to go.
I mean, seriously, the McLean Medal was awarded at the grand final and the player wasn't there. He was adjudged the most outstanding player in the division and it was a case of "here's the medal, club president, can you give it to him?"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I mean, seriously, the McLean Medal was awarded at the grand final and the player wasn't there. He was adjudged the most outstanding player in the division and it was a case of "here's the medal, club president, can you give it to him?"

My recollection is that they were to be invited to the McLean Cup final to receive the medal. I assume some form of communication got through because your President was in attendance - was the player not available?

It is an unusual case this year because I believe every other medal winner was playing on GF day. Even the guys today with the Kentwell and ?Barbour? Medal are both scheduled to play Saturday (Colts guy said he will probably play 2nd Grade for Pats).

Last edited:

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
My recollection is that they were to be invited to the McLean Cup final to receive the medal. I assume some form of communication got through because your President was in attendance - was the player not available?

It is an unusual case this year because I believe every other medal winner was playing on GF day. Even the guys today with the Kentwell and ?Barbour? Medal are both scheduled to play Saturday (Colts guy said he will probably play 2nd Grade for Pats).
Ill back LC to win both the Kentwell medal as well as Man of the Match tomorrow. Good conditions, fast deck. They wont keep up

Heavyd

Nev Cottrell (35)
Do we know if the elite and privileged who attended this event had to pay or was it funded by my clubs subs and ludicrous insurance premiums of which subbies get a massive backhander on?

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Do we know if the elite and privileged who attended this event had to pay or was it funded by my clubs subs and ludicrous insurance premiums of which subbies get a massive backhander on?
Unlikely that any of them paid to attend. I’d be reconsidering my affiliation fees if I was a lower divisions club.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm reasonably sure it wasn't "ludicrous insurance premiums of which subbies get a massive backhander".
No, it was more likely the affiliation fees paid for by the 40+ clubs in the association.
but it’s not like rugby to only consider the top end of town and forget about the little guys.
Probably a lot of people in the room patting themselves on the back for the amazing job they have done this year.