• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

GeoffL

Bob McCowan (2)
The Shute Shield coverage was better when they just had the game of the week on free-to-air with proper production. As opposed to the STAN streams which are on par with NSWRugbyTV

Probably better for exposure for SS and Rugby as well.
Probably better for exposure for SS and Rugby as well.

Without a shadow of a doubt - STAN is just shouting at those already inside the tent

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Aside from broadcasting all Shute Shield and Hospital's cup games along with a weekly game from the WA premier grade, Stan has a weekly show dedicated to club rugby. Their interviewing players and coaches across the country and promoting those voices and the club comps themselves to a broader rugby community that had in many cases lost touch with the club game. I don't think there's any real substance to the argument that Shute Shield (or Hospital's cup) were better off before Stan.

GeoffL

Bob McCowan (2)
One game a week, shown live only in one market, on the SD 7Two channel, is better exposure?

I don’t think so…
Thats the trouble when as you say "you dont think"

The Shute Shield was on Free to Air on the ABC for 57 years - no need to remind anyone that covered the only period when rugby has been strong in this country.

As everyone constantly says - you can't be what you can't see. The Shute Shield was FREE to AIR on the ABC for 57 years. Stan is pay TV and only the true believers bother signing up for it - locking rugby away from potential converts is killing the game just like Foxtel did

oh and standard definition only - wow, what a failure. That would have made all the difference, Why didn't someone tell the ABC during that 57 years they televised the Shute Shield on Free to Air they should move with the times?

GeoffL

Bob McCowan (2)
This is a joke right?

Coverage wasn’t very good and non Rugby fans didn’t tune into the ABC to catch a game. Stan has let Rugby fans watch more than 1 game a week or the Club they follow every week.
if its a joke its not very funny

ABC coverage was 3-5 cameras, professional on staff commentators, full on site ground crew, a quality that was a bench mark for decades - and they published the ratings - unlike STAN who will never tell you, because its just the shrinking captive insiders who sign up - nobody else gives a rats. Stan is amateur hour on steroids but hey I can watch "more than 1 game a week"

Good for you and other half dozen watching

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You wouldn't really expect anything better than amateur coverage for a (very hard on the eyes) amateur competition, would ya?

Shute Shield hasn't, isn't and won't convert a single fucken soul to rugby.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

The Shute Shield was on Free to Air on the ABC for 57 years - no need to remind anyone that covered the only period when rugby has been strong in this country.

As everyone constantly says - you can't be what you can't see. The Shute Shield was FREE to AIR on the ABC for 57 years. Stan is pay TV and only the true believers bother signing up for it - locking rugby away from potential converts is killing the game just like Foxtel did

oh and standard definition only - wow, what a failure. That would have made all the difference, Why didn't someone tell the ABC during that 57 years they televised the Shute Shield on Free to Air they should move with the times?

wasn’t there games on gem last season? I know easts v wicks def was.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)

Not to forget the ABC's coverage of schools rugby. I used to watch Kurtley Beale making a joke of the oppo for Joeys.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

57 years huh?

That’s nice, all that “back in the day” nostalgia, but you won’t be seeing the Shute Shield on the ABC again…

So back here in the present day with a a vastly different media landscape, we have Stan which is one of two profitable steaming services with an increasing subscriber base providing more content than the ABC did, fuck… when did they last broadcast any rugby?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
57 years huh?

That’s nice, all that “back in the day” nostalgia, but you won’t be seeing the Shute Shield on the ABC again…

So back here in the present day with a a vastly different media landscape, we have Stan which is one of two profitable steaming services with an increasing subscriber base providing more content than the ABC did, fuck… when did they last broadcast any rugby?

They made ARU pay them to broadcast the ARC back in 2007, the fees ABC demanded were a big reason that competition failed financially.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

ABC dropped rugby, they dropped QLD Premier Rugby years ago and Shute Shield followed, hence why SRU reverted to paying for their games to be broadcast and QPR went to a crappy Facebook stream. All this whining about ABC been better then Stan misses the point; ABC weren't interested and Stan are. .Times have moved on since the 60s....
Image result for Old Man Yells at Cloud. Size: 206 x 206. Source: knowyourmeme.com

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
if its a joke its not very funny

ABC coverage was 3-5 cameras, professional on staff commentators, full on site ground crew, a quality that was a bench mark for decades - and they published the ratings - unlike STAN who will never tell you, because its just the shrinking captive insiders who sign up - nobody else gives a rats. Stan is amateur hour on steroids but hey I can watch "more than 1 game a week"

Good for you and other half dozen watching
Well, sounds like you’re supporting the grass roots game.

Someone tell Phil Waugh our problems are solved if we can just get Sydney Uni v Easts on ABC. Did you like it on 7Two? Its FTA…

Bigger issue is the gate for Club Rugby if you wanted to make a fan. Some of the Clubs charge way too much for what it is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
slightly unrelated, its 2024 & I still cant stream the cricket FTA

This is a broadcast rights thing.

Seven don't have streaming rights to a whole bunch of the content as those rights are owned by Foxtel as far as I know.

This deal expires this year and from next season the new deal kicks in which does provide streaming rights to Seven.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This is a broadcast rights thing.

Seven don't have streaming rights to a whole bunch of the content as those rights are owned by Foxtel as far as I know.

This deal expires this year and from next season the new deal kicks in which does provide streaming rights to Seven.
Correct, Foxtel held almost all digital rights for cricket which prevented 7Plus from streaming them, that changes for this year. Likewise with the AFL.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Correct, Foxtel held almost all digital rights for cricket which prevented 7Plus from streaming them, that changes for this year. Likewise with the AFL.

It's interesting to observe how fast things have changed. You will almost certainly never see another broadcast agreement again where the primary broadcaster doesn't have streaming rights.

I'd love to know the percentage of viewers that only access FTA TV through the relevant app for each channel. It's certainly the only option on my main TV.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
When it comes to nostalgia, no one is more nostalgic than me. My Saturdays consisted of going out to play football (soccer) with my church team in the morning followed by recovery time in the afternoon. That consisted of sitting on the couch watching Shute Shield on ABC with Cyril Towers commentating. I maintain that there was no better rugby education to be had anywhere, and its the source of my lifelong enjoyment of rugby.

But, that was then and this is now. Then, we didn't even own a phone in the house, I had to walk half a mile to the phone box to call my grandma. Now I have to carry my mobile around 24/7 just so I don't miss a spam call. Back then, the ABC was king of my world, now I only watch streaming on i-view. For rugby, I have Stan and its great. If RA could get match-of-the-day broadcast on one of the 9 back channels that would meet the pleas for FTA coverage and it wouldn't cost much to get that done as its being shot for Stan anyway. The PR value would be unknown and unknowable, except for stories like mine. Was I the only poor kid who fell in love with rugby because of Cyril Towers on match of the day? Somehow, I don't think I am all that unique.

And in praise of Stan, the Sarries vs Leicester game I watched yesterday was absolutely awesome.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd love to know the percentage of viewers that only access FTA TV through the relevant app for each channel. It's certainly the only option on my main TV.
We don't have a TV aerial on our roof and internal aerials are all crap. So its NBN all the way. Don't think I'm the only one and within 20 years I expect TV channels will stop broadcasting off towers and just have streaming. Whether that's good or bad for others I don't know - it's good for me. Everything changes in life, we just adapt or vanish. Darwinism at work I believe.