• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
just like the transition from analogue to digital tv 20 years ago, which had many up in arms, technology evolves and people get on with life.

it'll come a point where auctioning the spectrum to mobile providers is more attractive to the government, and they'll find a way to sell it to the public and cover the costs of transitioning over. Australian Digital TV lags the world anyway, we cant receive 4K via Terrestrial whereas it's become the norm in Europe and the US.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
first trailer for Netflix's Six Nations tv show.

Looks decent enough. I assume they'll have to restrict it to two or three players from each team so we can actually build a bit of a relationship with them. You want to barrack for players like you do for drivers in DTS.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
God I hope so

Gimme that Sunderland til I die energy
Me too. Feels more likely with both Hamish and Eddie gone, current admin don't have to wear as much of the embarrassment and it'll help sell any positive turn around they can get going from here on out.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
When it comes to nostalgia, no one is more nostalgic than me. My Saturdays consisted of going out to play football (soccer) with my church team in the morning followed by recovery time in the afternoon. That consisted of sitting on the couch watching Shute Shield on ABC with Cyril Towers commentating. I maintain that there was no better rugby education to be had anywhere, and its the source of my lifelong enjoyment of rugby.

But, that was then and this is now. Then, we didn't even own a phone in the house, I had to walk half a mile to the phone box to call my grandma. Now I have to carry my mobile around 24/7 just so I don't miss a spam call. Back then, the ABC was king of my world, now I only watch streaming on i-view. For rugby, I have Stan and its great. If RA could get match-of-the-day broadcast on one of the 9 back channels that would meet the pleas for FTA coverage and it wouldn't cost much to get that done as its being shot for Stan anyway. The PR value would be unknown and unknowable, except for stories like mine. Was I the only poor kid who fell in love with rugby because of Cyril Towers on match of the day? Somehow, I don't think I am all that unique.

And in praise of Stan, the Sarries vs Leicester game I watched yesterday was absolutely awesome.
I grew up on country NSW and we had 2 tv stations.

I think ABC had the Sydney club rugby early on a Sunday morning, Randwick seemed to be on almost every week which was good to watch and the first play I recall being aware of was David Knox.

My earliest memories of the Wallabies is watching spring tour matches that were taped over night on a VCR.

I think I looked forward to the Bledisloe Cup more as a young child as it was always exciting to see what players NZ would have each season, there may be a new kid with a big reputation who I had never seen play and I would look forward to seeing what the hype in the lead up was about. While I love Super Rugby, the intrigue of seeing players once a year or a player you have never seen play before has gone, and I think this has reduce the excitement level of international rugby against NZ. I still get excited for test matches where I rarely see their players prior to the tour.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I grew up on country NSW and we had 2 tv stations.

I think ABC had the Sydney club rugby early on a Sunday morning, Randwick seemed to be on almost every week which was good to watch and the first play I recall being aware of was David Knox.

My earliest memories of the Wallabies is watching spring tour matches that were taped over night on a VCR.

I think I looked forward to the Bledisloe Cup more as a young child as it was always exciting to see what players NZ would have each season, there may be a new kid with a big reputation who I had never seen play and I would look forward to seeing what the hype in the lead up was about. While I love Super Rugby, the intrigue of seeing players once a year or a player you have never seen play before has gone, and I think this has reduce the excitement level of international rugby against NZ. I still get excited for test matches where I rarely see their players prior to the tour.
If David Knox was the first name you can recall from the ABC coverage, then I guess you're a bit younger than me. You missed out on Catchpole and Hawthorne and the unforgettable Ella, Ella, Ella. That was the good stuff.

You were also fortunate to miss some of the darkest days of Australian Rugby. Those of you who think Australia has now hit rock bottom never knew how bad some of the times in the 60's and 70's were. I genuinely thought then that Rugby was finished whereas today I am certain we can be mostly competitive in 2024 and will get close to the Lions in 2025. How close depends on the coaching team selected and the teams and gameplans we use.

KentwellCup>ShuteShield

Bill Watson (15)
If David Knox was the first name you can recall from the ABC coverage, then I guess you're a bit younger than me. You missed out on Catchpole and Hawthorne and the unforgettable Ella, Ella, Ella. That was the good stuff.

You were also fortunate to miss some of the darkest days of Australian Rugby. Those of you who think Australia has now hit rock bottom never knew how bad some of the times in the 60's and 70's were. I genuinely thought then that Rugby was finished whereas today I am certain we can be mostly competitive in 2024 and will get close to the Lions in 2025. How close depends on the coaching team selected and the teams and gameplans we use.
I've heard the horror stories from my father, but wasn't the grassroots of the game in much better shape?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Bang on Hawko, they weren't called the woeful wallabies for nothing in 72? I was only seeing it from this side of the Tasman, but they were abysmal.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
My thoughts are that it is time for the rights to go back to Foxtel and possibly offer one FTA game a week. Part of returning the pay tv should be to include them financing a third tier competition.
Fox (and NewsCorp) have made it pretty clear they have no interest in rugby - and certainly not for big money.

We've already got one Super match FTA on Gem each Saturday night. A new broadcast deal needs to be pushing for more.

Reactions: dru

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I suspect they’ll be back at the table next time.
Genuine question - why? A home WC and Lions tour will of course bring eyeballs for short periods, but all metrics have regular viewership in decline - with the NRL broadcast deal up in 2027, I'd say they'll be putting all their chips in for that.

Granted, the broadcast game has changed post-covid, with fewer staff needing to travel to grounds for the OB enabling leaner operations - but I still can't see Fox throwing their hat in the ring for any serious amount.

A lot undoubtedly rides on the success/viewership of both Super and Wallabies this year.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The World Cup rights are negotiated with World Rugby and not Rugby Australia, so I would expect Fox Sports to definitely make an offer...