• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Genuine question, with the game being on FTA, has the viewer number gone up? I don't see numbers from over here,(well don't know where to look), but I am wondering how the FTA games have added to games popularity etc. I have heard some people here in NZ saying that rugby needs to be FTA etc (mainly ones without sky of course) , and so wondered.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think Rugby has the ability to get some casual viewers on a Saturday when there is no NRL on FTA on a Saturday. I also know people who are pretty down on Rugby and don’t want to pay anything for it but will watch it if it’s on… bitter, yes but it’s happening.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_0548.jpeg

Obviously not Rugby and not Rugby money but it’s good to see so many options in the market.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Rugby has the ability to get some casual viewers on a Saturday when there is no NRL on FTA on a Saturday. I also know people who are pretty down on Rugby and don’t want to pay anything for it but will watch it if it’s on… bitter, yes but it’s happening.
I've found that so many people don't know that a Super match is broadcast on Saturdays due to it being on Gem.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Most exist entirely on apps now. If you're into the League people just put on Fox League and leave it for the day.

If I'm on FTA I have the tv guide pop up if I want.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Reading into the APL mess that is coming out of soccer provides some warning, it’s interesting to see that APLs broadcast agreement with Ten/Paramount actually has the APL covering production costs for broadcasting the game.

reportedly costing the APL around $12 million annually, which is significantly more then they had originally budgeted and around 30-40% of their annual broadcast fee from Ten/Paramount.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reading into the APL mess that is coming out of soccer provides some warning, it’s interesting to see that APLs broadcast agreement with Ten/Paramount actually has the APL covering production costs for broadcasting the game.

reportedly costing the APL around $12 million annually, which is significantly more then they had originally budgeted and around 30-40% of their annual broadcast fee from Ten/Paramount.
I guess one advantage of this is that once they prove they can produce the televised games they are able to go to any network or streaming company and sell off the game and keep consistent broadcasts.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Technically any code could, broadcaster are outsourcing most of these productions now to a couple of key companies, which is what APL did also, I’m guessing APL thought they could negotiate it cheaper then the equivalent cost if Ten retained it.

I’d be interested to see if this was the influence of PE, SilverLakes bought 33% of APL so if they’re taking 33% of revenue before expenses, then it’s it there interest for Ten to pay more cash and APL to retain the production costs.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)

That story about the A-Leagues is grim reading. I thought rugby could burn money, but that's next level. They've basically taken the investment from PE, burned it, and are now in the same position, except they're giving away 33% of every dollar they earn to SilverLake.

Coleman Rees

Allen Oxlade (6)
I remember on Fox Footy they used to have White Line Fever and they’d have an open line where punters could ring up and have their say. Maybe we could call it Pushover Try or Rolling Maul. It’d be great.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Genuine question, with the game being on FTA, has the viewer number gone up? I don't see numbers from over here,(well don't know where to look), but I am wondering how the FTA games have added to games popularity etc. I have heard some people here in NZ saying that rugby needs to be FTA etc (mainly ones without sky of course) , and so wondered.
Short answer is we can't tell using ratings info.

Longer answer:- FTA Super Rugby almost never make the Top 20 multi-channel ratings list on a Saturday. It probably hasn't made things worse, and surely there are people watching that would not have Stan, but it's too few to trouble the scorers.

If we use FTA Wallaby games as a proxy, ratings are way down on 10 / 20 years ago, but that's true of almost all sports, and we have no idea what Stan ratings are.

As an aside - the Australian ratings measurement system is changing this year, so comparison with the past is now meaningless. If.you see anyone doing it from 2024 onwards, you can tell they don't know what they are talking about.