• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hanigan seems a good foil for Gleeson. A lot to like about the backrow you've chosen. Definitely need some second rowers to step up, though.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
While I agree that Swinton in form has to be considered for a start, I would prefer Hanigan at 6. For the last two years he has been pushed into the second row when his strengths are far more suited to 6. He has a huge motor that is not being utilised in tight and yet his play has been, to my eyes, outstanding. I think he still suffers in people's perception from being pushed too far too early and now everyone writes him off as a journeyman. But his play last year was way better than that.

[Incidently, I have the same concerns with what will happen to Tom Hooper in the next couple of years]

So, my team to start the year in the back five would be Holloway, Lee Warner, Hanigan, Gamble and Gleeson. Amatosero and Swinton on the bench. Then form, fitness and injury will play out over the season. Sinclair will no doubt get game time as attrition takes its toll.

Ghost has nominated Vailanu as THP and Holz as LHP, with Lambert at Hooker for the bench. This may just be an error, but perhaps he's read something I've missed somewhere. I am concerned about our depth at 17 and 18, I feel we really need to see some massive improvement this year compared to last when the bench comes on.
As an outsider and a previous critic of Ned's, I was impressed with his form in the "Barbarians" games last year. I think you've nailed the back 5.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hanigan seems a good foil for Gleeson. A lot to like about the backrow you've chosen. Definitely need some second rowers to step up, though.
Well Kane Douglas just went on the market.

Yeah he’s 34 but you could do a lot worse in the squad. Genuine Second Rower and I wouldn’t be against the age in the squad .

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
Hawko.... just noticed your quote.

Alan Gaffney: "put the ball in front, accelerate through the ball, put pace on the game".

I reckon players need to adopt this simple strategy more. Especially forwards off the ruck or maul. They usually get it standing still.

What do 'they' say .... do the simple things well.
Unfortunately that is Edmed's biggest issue, taking the ball flat footed when he is tired or flustered. When he hits the ball at pace he creates so many more options, like against the Crusaders when he punched holes in them at Leichardt. If he can consistently add pace to the game and give that backline options the attack could be deadly. Harrison is more likely to take the line on and is much quicker.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
While I agree that Swinton in form has to be considered for a start, I would prefer Hanigan at 6. For the last two years he has been pushed into the second row when his strengths are far more suited to 6. He has a huge motor that is not being utilised in tight and yet his play has been, to my eyes, outstanding. I think he still suffers in people's perception from being pushed too far too early and now everyone writes him off as a journeyman. But his play last year was way better than that.

[Incidently, I have the same concerns with what will happen to Tom Hooper in the next couple of years]

So, my team to start the year in the back five would be Holloway, Lee Warner, Hanigan, Gamble and Gleeson. Amatosero and Swinton on the bench. Then form, fitness and injury will play out over the season. Sinclair will no doubt get game time as attrition takes its toll.

Ghost has nominated Vailanu as THP and Holz as LHP, with Lambert at Hooker for the bench. This may just be an error, but perhaps he's read something I've missed somewhere. I am concerned about our depth at 17 and 18, I feel we really need to see some massive improvement this year compared to last when the bench comes on.
Agree Hawko,not a lot between Ned and Fergus, it will come down to performances on the training paddock and in trials.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Apologies if this has come up before but has there been commentary on the Tahs having 5 home Friday night games this year? Personally I prefer a friday night game as I work in the city - but in this day and age of the TWAT phenomenon, crowd numbers may be low.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I agree. Personally like it but it can be hard for a lot of families to coordinate.

At least they won't have to compete with Club/Schools and people having had enough on a Saturday. At least the Brumbies is on Saturday night.

Love a Sunday game though...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree. Personally like it but it can be hard for a lot of families to coordinate.

At least they won't have to compete with Club/Schools and people having had enough on a Saturday. At least the Brumbies is on Saturday night.

Love a Sunday game though...
You must have seats on the western side of the arena. On a sunny Sunday afternoon the eastern seats are an absolute nightmare.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Unfortunately that is Edmed's biggest issue, taking the ball flat footed when he is tired or flustered. When he hits the ball at pace he creates so many more options, like against the Crusaders when he punched holes in them at Leichardt. If he can consistently add pace to the game and give that backline options the attack could be deadly. Harrison is more likely to take the line on and is much quicker.
My point was this is an important skill of good rugby players and yet I see it all too frequently…. too often a player gets the ball flat footed or a pass behind them…. ball in front and run onto the ball… if a coach got their players to do this on a regular basis they would win more matches …

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
My point was this is an important skill of good rugby players and yet I see it all too frequently…. too often a player gets the ball flat footed or a pass behind them…. ball in front and run onto the ball… if a coach got their players to do this on a regular basis they would win more matches …
Aussies women's 7s team have the best passing skills out of any team in union or league in Australia.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Good move. Key positions need to be locked in and he's a good player in the position looking across the Aus sides. Don't know if it stunts my dreams of NSW singing someone like Pollard though.

What is the contract situation with Jorgensen?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm excited to see more of Edmed this year, if he can remain uninjured.

I think his first season showed a lot of promise, and it was exceptionally interesting to see Dan Carter ask about him on The Good, The Bad & The Rugby.

He was quite impressed with Edmed, and said he had spent some time with him and thought he had a great head on his shoulders.

Apparently Edmed reached out to a mutual connection and asked for an introduction, essentially begging for some 1-on-1 training time with Dan. That shows a type of drive and ambition that is often rewarded with the right work.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I think his first season showed a lot of promise, and it was exceptionally interesting to see Dan Carter ask about him on The Good, The Bad & The Rugby.

He was quite impressed with Edmed, and said he had spent some time with him and thought he had a great head on his shoulders.

Apparently Edmed reached out to a mutual connection and asked for an introduction, essentially begging for some 1-on-1 training time with Dan. That shows a type of drive and ambition that is often rewarded with the right work.
I think this comes across.

Need him to take the line on a bit more and not just be a distributor. Will help give some space to Foketi and Perese.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)

I think this comes across.

Need him to take the line on a bit more and not just be a distributor. Will help give some space to Foketi and Perese.
Yes agree.

Edmed is not an instinctive, attacking 10. Much more conservative than others. But for the Waratahs backline to shine, he needs to take on the line more and improve his running game. But it also depends on the game plan that Coleman intends to play. If it is the same as last year, Edmed will do more kicking than running which probably suits his game. His form early last year wasn’t great so he needs to start well as he’ll have Bowen and Harrison waiting in the wings for an opportunity.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Yes agree.

Edmed is not an instinctive, attacking 10. Much more conservative than others. But for the Waratahs backline to shine, he needs to take on the line more and improve his running game. But it also depends on the game plan that Coleman intends to play. If it is the same as last year, Edmed will do more kicking than running which probably suits his game. His form early last year wasn’t great so he needs to start well as he’ll have Bowen and Harrison waiting in the wings for an opportunity.
Sits so far in the pocket can’t ignite any front foot ball