• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There is a comp on the Northern Beaches - don't know what its like these days but its called the Peninsula Cup. St Paul, Mater Maria, St Lukes, Oxford Falls etc. ( I think).

Would be interested to see how this is structured. And whether it would be workable in other regions.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Last time you spruiked this I literally pulled out the stats which shows this not to be the case:
You can believe anything damn stupid thing you read. I have a daughter who's a teacher and my ex works in education and I can tell you male teachers have bailed out of Govt and lower private schools Education because of many issues. Most males left are older and up the food chain and not in 1:1 teaching which is dominated by women. Even Tafe, which was always a large employer of men, has lost, many male teachers, mostly to retirement.
Here's a post from a left-wing rag you would read? SMH https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ails-to-increase-numbers-20230109-p5cbd6.html

Data from the Universities Admissions Centre shows just 210 graduating year 12 schoolboys put primary school teaching as their first preference for university study this year.
That figure, which does not include students who applied directly to universities, is a 24 per cent decrease on the year before and is the lowest number recorded in the past seven years.

This is the last report re Men in Education:

In secondary schools, they (men) made up 39.8 per cent of the workforce and received 43.1 per cent of promotions. some BS by Kevin McGrath

Even your stat of 28% differs from the SMH which claims 22%. The real number of teachers working, rather than admin in schools would be less than this.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
There is a comp on the Northern Beaches - don't know what its like these days but its called the Peninsula Cup. St Paul, Mater Maria, St Lukes, Oxford Falls etc. ( I think).
Yes, it seems to be still operating but I didn't see any details.
This made me smile -Nothern Beaches Christian School - the list of sports inc Yoga, Pilates, cheer leading, Dance and Frisbee...

List of sports and development squads​

The following sports are offered seasonally at various times for Year 7 to Year 10 students:

AFL

Basketball

Beach Volleyball

Boxing

Bushwalking

Cricket

Cheerleading

Circuit Training

Dance

Dodgeball

Football

Frisbee Golf

Futsal

Golf

Gymnastics

Kayaking & Paddleboarding

Mountain Bike Riding

Netball

Oztag

Par 3 Golf

Parkour

Pilates

Self Defence

Scootering

Squash

Strength & Conditioning

Surfing

Girls Learn to Surf

Tennis

Touch Football

Triathlon

Ultimate Frisbee

Yoga

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
You can believe anything damn stupid thing you read. I have a daughter who's a teacher and my ex works in education and I can tell you male teachers have bailed out of Govt and lower private schools Education because of many issues. Most males left are older and up the food chain and not in 1:1 teaching which is dominated by women. Even Tafe, which was always a large employer of men, has lost, many male teachers, mostly to retirement.
Here's a post from a left-wing rag you would read? SMH https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ails-to-increase-numbers-20230109-p5cbd6.html

Data from the Universities Admissions Centre shows just 210 graduating year 12 schoolboys put primary school teaching as their first preference for university study this year.
That figure, which does not include students who applied directly to universities, is a 24 per cent decrease on the year before and is the lowest number recorded in the past seven years.

This is the last report re Men in Education:

In secondary schools, they (men) made up 39.8 per cent of the workforce and received 43.1 per cent of promotions. some BS by Kevin McGrath

Even your stat of 28% differs from the SMH which claims 22%. The real number of teachers working, rather than admin in schools would be less than this.
A couple of things:

Tallying University first preferences is an extremely poor marker of any field's graduates - they don't consider preferences at any other position, don't account for the 10-15% of people who change degrees, and don't include direct applications as stated in the article.

No one is disputing that the % of male teachers are and have been in decline over decades, just no where near the rate you suggest. In the most recent Schools, 2022 report released by the Bureau of Statistics, 28.1% of all teachers (contact teachers, not admin staff) were male. In 1969, the ABS says the figure was 41.3% - a 13.2% change in the split over 50 years (notedly not the actual number of males, which has increased substantially of course).

As you noted, secondary school teachers have essentially a 60/40 split of females to males, with primary schools accounting for the biggest difference in demographic (see attached ABS stats). These secondary schools are where the rugby programs exist and have existed, not primary schools.

The point being: If 40% of secondary school teachers in 2022 were males, only down from 54% in 1980 (available to see at the link below), surely we can't suggest that that 14% reduction is the reason secondary school rugby programs are disappearing?

ABS data if you're interested: https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/education/schools/

Attachments

• 1705724204530.png
    1705724204530.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The Australian is saying all super rugby teams are in debt, but I thought Queensland posted a profit last financial year?
Being in debt and posting a profit are not mutually exclusive.

Edit: for a bit more detail it was $279,952 debt in the most recent annual report (2022), with $250,000 of that being a QLD Rural & Industry Development Authority Loan, which is a locked in low interest loan repayable over 10 years.

Unless I've significantly misunderstood the annual report I can't see any issue with this debt and it's a bit disingenuous of the Australian to have lumped it in with the debt other teams are in.

Last edited:

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Would be interested to see how this is structured. And whether it would be workable in other regions.
Ostensibly two divisions but the 2nd division is a bit scratch, with basketball scores.

St Augs vs St Paul’s is the highlight of the cup, with club mates bashing the shit out of each other.

The whole thing relies on teachers organising after school. Has been patchy in recent years

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Was it just me, or was the biggest bombshell in that article not about the Brumbies, or all of the teams being broke… but that nugget about the Rebels being cut/potentially merging with MP (Moana Pasifika) (Moana Pasifika)?
What would be the point of a merger? Neither team has any fans and their reasons for existing at all are pretty dubious.