• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Slayer!

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not as good as the previous year, but a very solid result given Ballymore didn't re-open until the end of the financial year. I also wonder what effect taking two games to Townsville had in the end, though the State Government may have kicked in enough there to make up the difference. Look forward to seeing the full annual report.
Release mentions a reduction in funding from RA so that's the majority of the difference ...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Release mentions a reduction in funding from RA so that's the majority of the difference ...
That and the increased investment in Ballymore to finish off the redevelopment. Still I'm not sure they'd ever call out any variation in the take from taking games tot he region so specifically, not unless there were no other explanations.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Official season launch today.

More good words from Kiss.

Womens team with some interesting names. Lori Cramer is back. Liz Patu back out of retirement and fresh from a baby. Really lacking in the pack I reckon. Nat Wright switches from 7s and will be tried out at scrumhalf.

Hall of Fame inductees, which I am proud to say I am part of the committee that selects these, were Graham Cooke, Tanya Osborne and David Wilson.

Phil Waugh spoke authentically and passionately about the game. Not without its challenges. Aim is for Lions tour to clear debt (at least) and world cups to build the legacy.

Vision of Ballymore a consistent message too. As you’d expect.

Very interesting crowd. Lots of influential people. Not just $$ but influence.

Exciting announcement imminent. Maybe as soon as Monday.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Forgot how big Kemeny is, makes Wilkin look very small. Josh uses his weight well.

Ekausi is on and he’s going to have a great year, man is explosive.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
unless it’s the Feds paying, surely not QLD Govt funded since Miles has taken over and started his 60’day review of Olympic plans.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Anyone else concerned about what the Suncorp surface will be like after a concert in the rain tonight?

I would imagine if a normal concert can ruin the surface then heavy rain could add to the damage.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Anyone else concerned about what the Suncorp surface will be like after a concert in the rain tonight?

I would imagine if a normal concert can ruin the surface then heavy rain could add to the damage.
Not too worried to be honest. The only thing the tahs had over us last week was the scrums, if the surface isn't in great shape it's just as likely to limit they're ability to make the most of it as anything else.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Not too worried to be honest. The only thing the tahs had over us last week was the scrums, if the surface isn't in great shape it's just as likely to limit they're ability to make the most of it as anything else.
I wasn't so much concerned about it affecting our chances, it was more that I get concerned by the increased chances of injury if the scrums destroy the surface.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Interview with Les Kiss from Pick and Drive:

Really impressed with Les Kiss every time I hear him speak.
Highlights for me:
- New facilities mean they can integrate the academy training into the main squad a lot more, helping bring those guys through
- "Open door" for club and school coaches to visit and watch training, take part in coaching sessions, etc.
- Seems pretty honest and clear eyed about where the team is out - specifically mentions the breakdown not being good enough against the Force and how important it is to get right against the Kiwis
- Not entirely convinced with his answer around discipline, but it's good to hear they're very focused on body height at the tackle and integrating general metrics around penalties into the training

Feels like his relatively early arrival and the challenger series/Saitama game are going to a be a huge benefit to hitting the ground running this season.
I agree. I really enjoyed the interview and the way Les was talking about things. Specifically it gave some good insight to how they (the coaches/team) are trying to find that balance of letting the players play with freedom and what's in front of them built on a clear foundation of getting their set pieces right. I was happy to hear him acknowledge the importance of the breakdown and how they were off the mark in The Force trial and while the trial against the Tahs was better it's still not there. It's been a real disappointment of mine how poor Australian teams have often been at the breakdown compared to other teams. Good sometimes, off the mark often, really lacking consistency. The Reds have lovely attacking threats and great cohesion between many of the players. To my mind, get the breakdown right with some quick ball and they are every chance of winning.

Last edited:

Filipo Daugunu

Peter Burge (5)
how is the big uso toomaga-allen tracking anyone? hopefully fit for this weeks game, need someone to hold their own against Belly, Nongorr going to be roadkill if he starts.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I tend to agree but I won’t be surprised if he does against Bell. I expect a lot of props to have issues with Bell. His scrummaging looks like it has really come on.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I tend to agree but I won’t be surprised if he does against Bell. I expect a lot of props to have issues with Bell. His scrummaging looks like it has really come on.
I said this in the trial when Bell had him going where he wanted. It's not a mark of shame and more a positive around Bell developing.

He only gets better from facing these types of players as well. Only 22 so to be where he is at currently is impressive in the Front Row. Bell is an outlier doing it at the same age.