• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think he’s been okay rather than great. I am more coming at it from the angle of not moving Petaia from wing.

I’ve always thought Petaia had all the attributes to be a great 13 but the reality is he has never looked as good there, apart from the off bright spot, as he has as a winger.

Last edited:

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If Flook is out injured, it does show how difficult it is to have a squad place held by Henry and now also O'Connor's who are both extremely injury prone.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lack of go-forward/mass in the tight stuff is showing up in the Reds. They are getting caught out going wide too early and pushing the offloads, defence identifying the trend. With the likely suspension of Mcreight, put Wright to 7, Uru to 6, start Blyth and rotate the front row again (Ravai & JTA off the pine). Go forward first fellas.

Reactions: dru

Doubting Thomas

Stan Wickham (3)
Lack of go-forward/mass in the tight stuff is showing up in the Reds. They are getting caught out going wide too early and pushing the offloads, defence identifying the trend. With the likely suspension of Mcreight, put Wright to 7, Uru to 6, start Blyth and rotate the front row again (Ravai & JTA off the pine). Go forward first fellas.
Exactly what Brad would do. Have we got any new ideas?? Same old same old… no plan B

Wilson

David Codey (61)
So Highlanders at home next week. No Tate, Fraser nor Flook you'd have to think. What do we do?

15 Campbell (by default)
14 Vunivalu
13 Petaia
12 Paisami
11 Grealy
10 Lynagh
9 Thomas
8 Wilson
7 Wright
6 Uru ?
5 Blyth
4 Smith
3 JTA
2 Faessler
1 Ravai

16 Nasser
17 Hodgman
18 Nonggorr
19 Daly
20 Bryant
21 Werchon
22 HMP
23 Creighton / Anan / Wright

Might be time to rotate that front row a bit too. Perpahs Hodgman starts for Ravai
Mostly agree, but I'd be leaning towards keeping Uru where he is and running Brial or Bryant at 6.

Would love to have O'Connor available and run him at 12 with Paisami at 13 and Petaia staying on the wing, but it sounds like he's still a week or two off. Goldsborough might be an outside chance for the bench if Flook is out long term, I can see Les Kiss taking a look at him at the back end of the game to see if he's ready, though Annan is more likely.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I know they are very different offences but for me Tate should get more that McReight. Tate deliberately set out to attack an opponent and McReight used poor and dangerous technique to make a tackle that is part of the game.

I think the biggest change in the disciplinary system is that the primary driver is level of danger.

The impact from McReight's shoulder directly to Havili's head was more significant than what McDermott's swinging arm inflicted.

There was some outrage on twitter last night referencing the headbutt by the Drua player and that being far more foul play related. While that's true, the headbutt also failed to connect.

I think there are plenty of issues with the disciplinary regulations but I also think that a key aspect of dealing with foul and dangerous play is that we don't excuse heavy contact with the head on the basis of it just being a tackle gone wrong. The whole point is that McReight was in a position where the contact was very likely to hit the ball carrier in the head because of how upright he was and he did it with significant force.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I know they are very different offences but for me Tate should get more that McReight. Tate deliberately set out to attack an opponent and McReight used poor and dangerous technique to make a tackle that is part of the game.
Yep commonsense doesn’t exist in many parts of rugby these days.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am not a huge fan of 'damage inflicted' being a key driver for the punishment. How is that a deterrent on foul play?

I may as well take a swing at someone and hopefully it hurts them, but not too much cause then I won't get a big punishment...

There's no great need to more substantially deter the headbutt or elbow seen in the Drua vs Rebels game. They are already vanishingly rare.

McReight's tackle is something that happens frequently that absolutely causes concussions. This is why they're being dealt with in the way they are and not just written off as a tackle that went a bit wrong anymore.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
There's no great need to more substantially deter the headbutt or elbow seen in the Drua vs Rebels game. They are already vanishingly rare.

McReight's tackle is something that happens frequently that absolutely causes concussions. This is why they're being dealt with in the way they are and not just written off as a tackle that went a bit wrong anymore.
Yeah, swayed me. It's hard to disagree with this rationale.

I will say - while Fraser and Tate's punishments are justified by the above - I think the issue is the ultimate equivalence to the headbutt which, in my opinion, deserves a stronger punishment regardless of its rarity. If Koroiduadua had received 5wks, I don't think we're having this discussion.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Agree they are in Super Rugby but is the same punishment framework to be rolled out across the board?

Unfortunately some of those incidents are still popping up through the grades. I understand different governing bodies hand down punishments depending on the competition but you'd want alignment.