• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

$1 million Rugby Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
They are doing what we all need to do, realise that a fully national comp is damn expensive and difficult logistically. Just as the AFL and NRL started in a base and spread, we need to understand that it is fools gold to go wide before earning the right.

In a couple of seasons, add a few Brisbane clubs, then a little while later build on the base already there to add from further afar.

I also love that it is coming from outside, nothing shakes things up like this might.

Difference is that those comps started without having to compete with a product from their own code.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I like the idea. It would be great to have teams from outside Sydney involved but if it needs to start off Sydney focused then so be it. At least they are trying to find content for free to air tv. I'd watch it on a Friday night at home.

The ARU need to bring Livingstone into the fold and have him involved at some level. He seems like the only guy with ideas and the money to back them at the moment in Aust rugby.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I still don't understand how most people seem to think that a 3rd tier that is professional is viable in this country. It will struggle for top players, and therefore support and therefore funding. There is only two ways I can see to viably get a different comp going:

1. Super rugby goes and we join with the kiwis to form an anz comp that also takes over from the itm cup.
2. Keep super rugby and add another comp along the lines of the big bash - greatly vary the rules of the game to form something different and exciting and capture the imagination. Could be 10 or 13 a side or 15 with a rule shake up.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Did he say that this would be a professional set up? I don't think it would work if it was. I think they mention contracted players not required by the Wallabies and bringing in some marque players. Younger players will want to be part of it for the exposure. The best thing about the ARC was the young guys who played in the comp who have gone on to bigger and better things.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
2. Keep super rugby and add another comp along the lines of the big bash

This is surely the sort of thing they are aiming for. Something a bit different with potentially some experimental rules held over a relatively short period of time.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
Did he say that this would be a professional set up? I don't think it would work if it was. I think they mention contracted players not required by the Wallabies and bringing in some marque players. Younger players will want to be part of it for the exposure. The best thing about the ARC was the young guys who played in the comp who have gone on to bigger and better things.
The best thing about the Shute Shield and the QLD comp is the young players who go on to better things. It's already in place and it works when promoted and fed.
If the powers that be would stop screwing with the model that has given us 2 world cups and create some continuity, also promote and support it it will grow again.
Why recreate something new?
8 teams winner takes all create 1 rich club and 7 broke ones.
Ring any bells?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's not going to be 7s though.

I'm more talking about the structure of the tournament and it being held over a shorter period of time similar to the Big Bash.

A 7s event is held over a weekend and clearly doesn't provide the type of content that you'd be looking to show on FTA TV at a good timeslot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The best thing about the Shute Shield and the QLD comp is the young players who go on to better things. It's already in place and it works when promoted and fed.
If the powers that be would stop screwing with the model that has given us 2 world cups and create some continuity, also promote and support it it will grow again.
Why recreate something new?
8 teams winner takes all create 1 rich club and 7 broke ones.
Ring any bells?

I think the main idea is about trying to engage with a new audience.

I believe the 8 teams winner takes all idea is to incentivise players, not make a rich club. From the sound of things this won't be about existing Shute Shield clubs joining a new competition. It will be far more akin to the ARC with teams made up of players from a variety of sources.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
It's not going to be 7s though.

I'm more talking about the structure of the tournament and it being held over a shorter period of time similar to the Big Bash.

A 7s event is held over a weekend and clearly doesn't provide the type of content that you'd be looking to show on FTA TV at a good timeslot.
So free to air tv would rather promote a complex sport with a million penalties, static mauls, iron defence than a high speed, high scoring fast game?
Don't get me wrong I'm a forward and think a scrum is an exciting place but we need to win fans, sponsors and money.
My daughter loves league - it's simple and brutal.
7s will win the hearts and fill the wallets, and as such will fund the game they play in heaven.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
As said in a previous thread ARU wont let anything happen that could effectively kill the Shute Shield and some of the heritage clubs. Hence they wont allow players to go, which means that know contracted pros makes things pretty much just players from the shute shield whoa rent tied to any academies....which limits your possibilities which limits your possible marketability.

The problem with the ARC was the fabrication of clubs.......he would be better off just putting this much effort into shute shield. Surely the money that they aim to generate with this will be more than enough to benefit the comp and fix its financial woes. Regards, Its actually one of those thigns if everyone jsut worked together a bit better everyone would get a slce of the pie however everyone wants to jump ship and be there own cpatain.

Paying players is an issue but i know QLD rugby league for instance cap the amount players can be paid so for instance players playing regional comps can only get 100 bucks a win and players in under 20's can only be paid 75 a win (or something along those lines) its actually written on the registration forms the amount the players should be paid. On the other hand make it that any super 15 players aren't allowed to be paid by clubs and they delegated to clubs to cut out the squabling and bidding wars.

This delegation could be done by particular criteria (i.e players junior club, what clubs are struggling, which areas rugby wants to break into). In my mind the money should have 3 rules to cut spending 1. saved for genuine amateur players 2. Be capped at per person & per squad 3. only be paid per win. If clubs want to cheat the system then thats a blight on them and their problem but i think it's things as simple like this that need to be done. I think simple steps should be taken before drastic

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Why not have an NPC type comp, but with 2 teams from each state. One for contracted, academy, eps players, one as a rep side from the club comp. have it over 3 months September October November.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So free to air tv would rather promote a complex sport with a million penalties, static mauls, iron defence than a high speed, high scoring fast game?
Don't get me wrong I'm a forward and think a scrum is an exciting place but we need to win fans, sponsors and money.
My daughter loves league - it's simple and brutal.
7s will win the hearts and fill the wallets, and as such will fund the game they play in heaven.

I wish it was 10s that became popular and not 7s.

T

TOCC

the whole point of the $1million price tag is that it will force the ARU's hand...

I think people need to disregard the ARC concept, this is not what this proposal is about at all, its about offering established clubs the opportunity to compete for a prize pool of money.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
How about 16-20 team competition where half the teams come from Qld and the other half come from NSW.

The 8-10 QLD teams play their usual home and away fixtures
the 8-10 NSW teams play their usual home and away fixtures.
But then QLD clubs would play half the amount of NSW teams at their home grounds & the other half down in NSW (vice versa for the NSW clubs)

Top 8 clubs go through to the finals

You could fund the airfares issues by sponsorship from the broadcasting rights pie.

The total amount of flights you would need to pay for is the 4 away fixtures (& maybe 2 or 3 rounds of playoffs)

The flights down to Sydney or up to Brisbane could be done on a fly in/fly out Saturday operation with no need to stay at hotels.. Maybe even see if Jetstar/Qantas/Virgin want to be the competition sponsors to severely subsidise the cost impact of the grassroot battler clubs.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
A national sevens tournament in the style of the 7s World Series would be amazing and probably would be fairly easy to run. A one off in each city- Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne (And Hobart?). Surely it must be easier marketing and selling out a one day event than it would be to market an on-going competition. The timing would be great for those players considering other codes coming into the Olympics. If the Shute Shield finished a week or two earlier, you could have it in the September/October window.

The only downside is that Australia's lack of depth seems biggest in quality tighthead props, locks and big backrowers. Those aren't really positions that are developed by 7s. Perhaps the ARU just needs to be better at junior talent identification and making more lucrative pathways to those players who have the physique and the potential to be stars.

T

TOCC

How about 16-20 team competition where half the teams come from Qld and the other half come from NSW.

The 8-10 QLD teams play their usual home and away fixtures
the 8-10 NSW teams play their usual home and away fixtures.
But then QLD clubs would play half the amount of NSW teams at their home grounds & the other half down in NSW (vice versa for the NSW clubs)

Top 8 clubs go through to the finals

You could fund the airfares issues by sponsorship from the broadcasting rights pie.

The total amount of flights you would need to pay for is the 4 away fixtures (& maybe 2 or 3 rounds of playoffs)

The flights down to Sydney or up to Brisbane could be done on a fly in/fly out Saturday operation with no need to stay at hotels.. Maybe even see if Jetstar/Qantas/Virgin want to be the competition sponsors to severely subsidise the cost impact of the grassroot battler clubs.
Broadcasting and sponsorship??
Not sure what world you live in, but the last time a 3rd tier of rugby was broadcast on TV(ARC) the ARU actually had to subsidise the ABC's cost of production.
Many clubs are already running a tightrope financially, sponsorships aren't going to increase dramatically overnight.. What you are proposing would be a financial burden on all involved

A national sevens tournament in the style of the 7s World Series would be amazing and probably would be fairly easy to run. A one off in each city- Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne (And Hobart?). Surely it must be easier marketing and selling out a one day event than it would be to market an on-going competition. The timing would be great for those players considering other codes coming into the Olympics. If the Shute Shield finished a week or two earlier, you could have it in the September/October window.

The only downside is that Australia's lack of depth seems biggest in quality tighthead props, locks and big backrowers. Those aren't really positions that are developed by 7s. Perhaps the ARU just needs to be better at junior talent identification and making more lucrative pathways to those players who have the physique and the potential to be stars.

A 'national sevens' tournament of sorts will become viable in the next couple of years from a broadcasters perspective, however it needs to be acknowledged that there are already some rather well established 7's tournaments within Australia, rather then try and create a whole new competition of 'fake teams', they should rationalise the exsisting competitions into a season tournament. That is the financially sensible option, and it also gives credit to those organisers out there who have worked hard on establishing 7's tournaments like the ones in Darwin, Noosa etc.

However that is another topic which isnt applicable to this article..

Status
Not open for further replies.