• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 QLD Club Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Well just following on from Noddy's lead, and to remove the QLD Club rugby chat from the Reds thread..I have however heard some talk about player movements.

Ben Tapuai, a star for Gold Coast in 2009 has been poached by Sunnybank, with a alleged rather larger financial sweetner thrown in the mix.

T

tranquility

good move for everyone, ben can play.

what is the story with Rex Tapuai supposedley good player - where was he playing before he came back to the breakers?

T

TOCC

Rex went to Japan for a few years i believe, but his back in Australia and hoping to pick up a S14 contract

G

Geronimo

What I have heard from our end is that he was sick of the travel to Brisbane and wanted out from here. I can understand that and I don't think it was necessarily a case of Sunnybank poaching him or opening the purse strings. Sadly from our perspective, I think it will be difficult to keep Rex

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't know the ins and outs of club land as some here, so thought I'd contribute to just list where the Reds contracted players play. Not that they play much. Will academy players in once they are listed on the site:

QLD Uni
- James Horwill
- Adam Byrnes
- James Hanson
- Luke Morahan
- Ezra Taylor
- Brando Va'aulu
- Laurie Weeks

Norths
- Blair Connor
- Will Genia
- Leroy Houston

Easts

Souths
- Quade Cooper
- Anthony Fainga'a
- Saia Fainga'a
- Van Humphries
- Jack Kennedy

Wests
- Scott Higginbottham
- Poutasi Vaiofiso Tuasivi Luafutu

Brothers
- Sean Hardman

Sunnybank
- Danya Edwards
- Greg Holmes
- Digby Ioane
- Ben Lucas
- Rob Simmons

GPS
- Rod Davies
- Peter Hynes

Gold Coast
- Ben Daley

Sunshine Coast
- Daniel Braid
- Morgan Turinui

Will Chambers and Lei Tomeki are yet to decide!

meanwhile I hear Andrew Walker has finally hung up his boots...in rugby at least. He's playing for Goodna in the Ipswich league comp.

T

tranquility

aidan toua & ed quirk are both from easts

and the young easts skipper, James Charalambous was in the reds academy but left because of a dud contract.

T

TOCC

James Charalambous never really earned his contract regarless, he was a decent player at club level but never looked like progressing to S14

Geronimo said:
What I have heard from our end is that he was sick of the travel to Brisbane and wanted out from here. I can understand that and I don't think it was necessarily a case of Sunnybank poaching him or opening the purse strings. Sadly from our perspective, I think it will be difficult to keep Rex
possibly that is the case, but from the Sunnybank perspective i heard that the community centre have chipped in some money, this is also the same community centre who threw $50'000 at Digby as part of his third party contracting to remain in QLD

T

TOCC

Brothers have lost the most since 2009, McKibbon and Croft were there two best players and absolutely instrumental in winning them the premiership

T

tranquility

interesting take on charalambous. he is injured at the moment so i cant say too much, but dont be too suprised if he ends up at the force in some capacity given there hooker shortage. I do not agree on your potential assessment of him TOCC.

T

TOCC

well the force didnt even really look at him regardless of there hooking shortage, instead they went for some unknown 23yr old kiwi..

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
tranquility said:
what is the story with Rex Tapuai supposedley good player - where was he playing before he came back to the breakers?

Rex T played for the Broncos on 2008/09. Went well by all accounts.

T

tranquility

I believe that was for the box hill broncos, a rugby union side in victoria as opposed to the brisbane broncos.

T

TOCC

ha, yes it is the Box Hill Broncos, he played a few games for them earlier this year after he returned home from rugby union in japan, he then moved up to the Gold Coast and played in the premier grade with them for the rest of the year.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
I don't know the ins and outs of club land as some here, so thought I'd contribute to just list where the Reds contracted players play. Not that they play much. Will academy players in once they are listed on the site:

QLD Uni
- James Horwill
- Adam Byrnes
- James Hanson
- Luke Morahan
- Ezra Taylor
- Brando Va'aulu
- Laurie Weeks

Norths
- Blair Connor
- Will Genia
- Leroy Houston

Easts

Souths
- Quade Cooper
- Anthony Fainga'a
- Saia Fainga'a
- Van Humphries
- Jack Kennedy

Wests
- Scott Higginbottham
- Poutasi Vaiofiso Tuasivi Luafutu

Brothers
- Sean Hardman

Sunnybank
- Danya Edwards
- Greg Holmes
- Digby Ioane
- Ben Lucas
- Rob Simmons

GPS
- Rod Davies
- Peter Hynes

Gold Coast
- Ben Daley

Sunshine Coast
- Daniel Braid
- Morgan Turinui

Will Chambers and Lei Tomeki are yet to decide!

meanwhile I hear Andrew Walker has finally hung up his boots...in rugby at least. He's playing for Goodna in the Ipswich league comp.
Correct on Walker Noddy.

I heard that Vaalu is going back to Sunnybank and that Rex Tapuai will be joining his brother there. Jake Schaatz is also a Sunnybank boy.

From the Academy, Slipper is Gold Coast, Lance at Uni, Shipperley at Brothers.

From last years Aussie schoolboys, Gill and Lucas are off to Sunnybank with Alo-Emilie, Tupou and Faulkner could be headed to Easts.

I thought I heard that Chambers was going to Brothers as most Nudgee boys do.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
tranquility said:
interesting take on charalambous. he is injured at the moment so i cant say too much, but dont be too suprised if he ends up at the force in some capacity given there hooker shortage. I do not agree on your potential assessment of him TOCC.
Agree with you on Charalambous, Tranquility. He was the OZ schools hooker in 05 if I remember correctly and was rated above Hansen before he picked up an injury a couple of years back. Very dynamic and inspirational hooker with a great work ethic. If he can remain injury free, he would definitely be a good pick up for one of the franchises.

T

TOCC

spectator said:
Correct on Walker Noddy.

I heard that Vaalu is going back to Sunnybank and that Rex Tapuai will be joining his brother there. Jake Schaatz is also a Sunnybank boy.

From the Academy, Slipper is Gold Coast, Lance at Uni, Shipperley at Brothers.

From last years Aussie schoolboys, Gill and Lucas are off to Sunnybank with Alo-Emilie, Tupou and Faulkner could be headed to Easts.

I thought I heard that Chambers was going to Brothers as most Nudgee boys do.

Vaalu never left Sunnybank, i imagine Rex will join Ben at Sunnybank, they do live together so it would make sense.

I would have thought Faulkner would be a Sunnybank boy as well considering he is from Logan

C

chief

Honestly, I can't see too many of this years schoolboys jumped into the Premier Rugby scene. Alo-Emile should be slotted in, as will Gill. Lucas has his brother to contend with for the Halfback spit, unless Ben Lucas will be playing at Flyhalf. I think very highly of Matt Lucas, definitely bought the edge on when playing for the Australian Schools team. Gill of course I think highly of, it is a shame he does not have a little bit more height, hopefully that won't matter, because Gill is a fantastic player with great ruck skills, and great forward vision.

As for the likes of Faulkner and Tupou, I can't see them slotting into the Easts Premier Rugby side. Class act it is already.

Status
Not open for further replies.