• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
My opinion of this game is that the wallabies will field a stronger team than in recent weeks and will generally be more 'up' for it. Add to that they are pretty much always strong when playing in brisbane.

I don't however think this will be enough to beat the all blacks, at least not a full strength all black team.

The wallabies are in rugby purgatory. They are fundamentally getting worse, but at the same time fighting hard to get better. I don't think they lack spirit or are not trying hard enough, I just think that pretty much every aspect of the wallaby 'program' has something wrong with it.

Realistically my only hope for this game (after a miracle win) is that both teams put on a good show. People can appreciate good rugby, even if their team goes down on the night.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here's a reason why we have such a high injury toll, we're playing much more Test rugby than anyone else.

In 2011 we played 5 more games than the Boks and 2 more than the ABs.

Samoa, WC semi, WC 3rd play off, Barbarians and Wales.

We will have played 3 more than the Boks this year and 1 more than the ABs.

Scotland and ABs. Springboks only playing 3 on their EOYT.

So by the end of the year we'll have played 8 and 3 more games than our competitors in the last 2 years, it'll only get worse with the Lions tour next year as well.

Anyone else really surprised by how many Tests (lack of) the Boks have played compared to Aus and NZ?

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
../snip Anyone else really surprised by how many Tests (lack of) the Boks have played compared to Aus and NZ?

They probably don't need the extra income like Australia and especially NZ. Too be honest, I'd quite like the AB's to skip a European EOYT one year and do a Japan-Canada-USA or Italy-Romania/Georgia-Russia exhibition tour. And only have a maximum two Wallabies - AB matches a year, 3 is overkill let alone the 4 of recent years. Will never happen though, need the money.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Here's a reason why we have such a high injury toll, we're playing much more Test rugby than anyone else.

So by the end of the year we'll have played 8 and 3 more games than our competitors in the last 2 years, it'll only get worse with the Lions tour next year as well.

Anyone else really surprised by how many Tests (lack of) the Boks have played compared to Aus and NZ?

Would it be drawing too long a bow to put this down the ARU being overly reliant on wallaby games for both funds and promotion (due to lack of funds).

Once again the real problem is at the top?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would it be drawing too long a bow to put this down the ARU being overly reliant on wallaby games for both funds and promotion (due to lack of funds).

Once again the real problem is at the top?

So what else is generating the big income for the ARU if its not test match rugby? Because Shute shield and BrisVegas club rugby sure ain't.

SARU and NZRU generate income from TV deals for CC and ITM respectively. Oz need the extra test matches to compensate.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)

You have to remember that we played two more games than South Africa in 2011 because they were knocked out in the quarter final. But even 6 more is a considerable amount.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
A lot of NZ and SA players will go back to play CC and ITM though. Not as tough probably as Tests but they usually come back into their squads around finals time I think.....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A lot of NZ and SA players will go back to play CC and ITM though. Not as tough probably as Tests but they usually come back into their squads around finals time I think...

Do they really.. which 1st 15 ABs have or will play ITM Cup rugby this year?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't know about this year but I know that most seasons, once their AB obligations are finished, if they are un-injured most of the squad will play ITM/NPC.....

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I honestly believe we will win this won.

It's a dead rubber, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Well it would actually. It'd shock the hell out of me. I'm quietly resigned to having a lot of hell left in me at the final siren, but I'll still watch the full 80 (and not a second more). And I'll increasingly resent Tom Waterhouse's intrusive cheeriness as the match progresses. Git. Why would I want to bet against someone with generations of betting in their blood? How is that an incentive?

T

tranquility

It's a dead rubber, so it wouldn't surprise me.
And I'll increasingly resent Tom Waterhouse's intrusive cheeriness as the match progresses. Git. Why would I want to bet against someone with generations of betting in their blood? How is that an incentive?

Ha ha. As a person who works in Advertising, this is such a good consumer insight.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well there you go..3 years away and everything has changed. Now in the good ol' days..lol

Hang on I take that back because I think Hore may have played a game. Some of the players that have been rotated - Savea, Thomo, Crockett have also played ITM.

Given the scheduling I doubt they will be back for the finals as has been the case in years past

Status
Not open for further replies.