• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Australia vs New Zealand - 20 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am also not sure why Mitchell, Palu and Kepu are doing there. For their own sake, I hope they are not included in the 22. Playing guys who have just recovered (or still recovering) from injury in the final match before a spring tour is a silly thing to do. The risk of re-injury, especially after considerable layoff, is not worth it. Let them rest up some more, and then include them on the spring tour.

I would think that would be the sensible approach.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hang on a sec, I thought we wanted to win this??

I agree probably not Mitchell but Palu is definitely needed in the pack. Kepu less so but he would be good off the bench.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I just hope deans doesnt drop those players who saved his job last week with some injured players

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And what good would Palu do us if he re-injures himself early in the game?

So he should never play again in case he injures himself? He's got to play some day.

We need the Higgers/Palu backrow which worked so well against Wales. Palu and Kepu offer better ball carrying options and ability to win the collisions.

Also you don't know the circumstances, maybe he was fit for the last two games but they didn't risk him then.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
So he should never play again in case he injures himself? He's got to play some day.

I am not saying that he should never play again. Why would you play him against the All Blacks first game back from injury though? Let the guy build back into the game. Take him on the spring tour, give him some minutes to get fitness and gametime conditioning back.

Playing him against the All Blacks after a considerable layoff does not help Palu in any way whatsoever.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
1. Robinson
2. Polota-Nau
3. Alexander
4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Beale
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Tapuai
14. Shipperly
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

5:2 Split

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Douglas
19. Dennis
20. Gill
21. Sheehan
22. Fainga'a

4:3 Split
16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Douglas
19. Gill
20. Sheehan
21. Fainga'a
22. Harris

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
1. Robinson
2. Polota-Nau
3. Alexander
4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Beale
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Tapuai
14. Shipperly Cummins
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

5:2 Split

16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Douglas
19. Dennis Samo
20. Gill
21. Sheehan
22. Fainga'a Shipperly

4:3 Split
16. Fainga'a
17. Slipper
18. Douglas
19. Gill
20. Sheehan
21. Fainga'a
22. Harris

I like it, but want to see Cummins get another go starting. Samo offers more impact off the bench and hopefully can repeat a little of Brisbane 2011 form vs AB's...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
This is probably not a bad moment to reflect on Ben A. Any front rowers out there care to share? It looks to me that his side of the scrum is getting pushed back at will. I'm guessing that he's copped more penalties than any other player in the Wallabies.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
I think the Wallabies could benefit from a new coach but to be fair to Deans our poor performances are not all his fault. We've lambasted Deans for his tactical and personal blunders at the WC and in NZ earlier this year, and rightfully so. I think most people would agree he's lucky to still have a job. But in the same vein we should also give him credit for a good (albeit unpolished) win over the Pumas in Roserio.

I'd find it refreshing to see a guy like Link take the reins but until that happens I'm ever hopeful that Deans will prove me wrong.

I'm assuming you watched the game? Not the highlights on the news?

'unpolished'? For much of the match I was doubled over in fits of laughter at the poor standards from both sides. It was a race to see which side could be first to lose the match.

If it was the first test of the year, you may call it a rusty performance. But it's fairer to say that Dean's team is rusted. But your right, we were not the first team to lose to the Pumas in the RC (kiss the rosary). In the light of the astonishing low records set during his tenure, we should be proud of a four pointer against any international side.

(side note. Respect paid from this rugby follower to the Pumas who exceeded my expectations during the RC. They were still in the first match against the AB's, right up until the yellow card, which I felt was a tough call. A ball in all tackle that was called as a tap down.)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Both Slipper and Alexander (and Kepu) have suffered from being mucked around between LHP and THP, or vice versa. I'll qualify my remarks by stating I was a back and there are times (OK, most of the time) the dark arts of the front row remain a mystery to me. BUT, having watched rugby for all of 48 years I hope I've gleaned at least something about scrummaging. To my eye Slipper seems to play better at THP and Alexander at LHP. And Kepu at THP, which make Dingo's decision to play him at 1 and Ben at 3 in last year's RWC look a bit silly. Like me Deans was a back, so I suppose he can be forgiven for that mistake.

The problem for the coaches when they rotate the props during a game is Robinson. I've written elsewhere he may be taking longer to recover from his latest injurty than we realise. To complicate matters Fat Cat performed extremely well when he came on last week against Argentina, a notoriously strong scrummaging nation; in fact I'd go so far as to say our dominance in the scrum in the second half was the winning of the match. But we should keep his performance in perspective: it was only for a half, the second half against a tiring Argie pack at that. Topo Rodriguez predicted his countrymen would run out of petrol at about the 60 minute mark, and he was right.

For Brisbane I'd go with Robinson at 1, Slipper at 3 and Alexander at 17. If Robinson isn't fit enough to put in 55/60 minutes it should be Alexander 1, Slipper 3 and Ryan 17. And Kepu to continue his rehabilitation in order to make the EoYT squad.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Still not sold on Robinson. He has played one good game this season for the Wallabies and yet alot of you guys want him starting again.

I wouldn't be rushing Kepu back for this one, although he is my preffered tighthead when fully fit.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Cummins over Shipperley for sure. I half agree with Gary Owen & his stance on Deans I also have banned myself from going to watch the Wallabies live until Deans is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.