• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

I am indeed pleased, lily, that you find so much mirth in me staying loyal to a club that is renowned throughout the land for its treachery. Each year a small horde of Uni players go knocking on the doors of all the other Sydney clubs, pleading to be let in because they can no longer cope with being "completely screwed". The player to whom you spoke is a case in point.

He's quite a peripatetic young lad, if he's the one I'm thinking of. Just over three years ago he was part of the Queensland Reds Academy and a member of the Brisbane Brothers Club. Later that year, 2009, he turned up in Sydney playing for the De La Salle Junior Rugby League Football Club. The next year he was with the Cronulla Sharks Rugby League Club. At the end of that year he was with the Brumbies Academy, so we are led to believe, although I can find no record of it.

Then came his annus horribilis with the disloyal Sydney Uni "guys" before he found a place of refuge and material sustenance with Norths. If I were you I would maintain contact with him. He may fancy a season living by the seashore.

Bruce, I don't generally like to weigh into this political stuff. But for all your grumbling about the Private school system and NTS, isn't it a bit rich when you play the inside line with Sydney Uni? Retorting all arguments with your intimate knowledge of the individual players and disregarding the larger issues; such as in this instance the belief that based on the U20 selections Sydney Uni as a rugby system is getting preferential treatment.

Had this player still had played for uni, you would have probably pushed his credentials as a super player of the future, rightly so as he appears to be a good player having been in two academys. However, as it stands he has left the club having been a little bit disillusioned for whatever reason, and you are poking at his character and loyalty in an attempt to lower his credibility? I ate peaking duck this morning, and it wasn't half as rich.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
England squad announced

England squad named for JWC 2012

England Under 20 coaches Rob Hunter and Nick Walshe have named their 28-man squad for the IRB Junior World Championship in South Africa.

England's first match in the tournament is against Italy on 4 June, and the squad contains seven players who participated in the 2011 edition of the Junior World Championship.

Koree Britton, Matt Kvesic, Ryan Mills, Dan Robson, Sam Tworney, Ben Ransom and Marland Yarde all return from the 2011 JWC in Italy, the latter ending this year's U20 Six Nations as leading try scorer with five, but IRB Junior Player of the Year George Ford has not been selected.

Ford's absence could suggest he may be on the plane to South Africa with the senior team, whilst another JWC 2011 player to miss out is Elliot Daly.

“Competition for places has been high and some good players have missed out," said England head coach Rob Hunter.

"However we’re very pleased with the 28 selected. The games come thick and fast in this tournament, we’ve got a tough group and we’re excited by that challenge.”

In 2011 England finished runners-up behind New Zealand and after Italy, Six Nations winners England face Ireland before coming up against hosts South Africa in Stellenbosch, one year after defeating the southern hemisphere nation 26-20 at the same stage.

“We have two huge games before we come up against South Africa," added Hunter.

"But that match stands out for the experience of playing them in front of their home support.

"For now though all our attention is on that first game against Italy, each year they improve and we’ll need to be fully focused."

England Under 20 squad:
Forwards:
Dominic Barrow (Leeds Carnegie)
Koree Britton (Gloucester Rugby)*
Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Max Crumpton (Saracens)
Ross Harrison (Sale Sharks)
Alec Hepburn (London Wasps)
Matt Kvesic (Worcester Warriors)*
George Merrick (Harlequins)
Nathan Morris (London Wasps)
Ben Nutley (Northampton Saints)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
David Sisi (London Irish)
Sam Twomey (Harlequins)*
Chris Walker (Leeds Carnegie)

Backs:
Will Addison (Sale Sharks)
Josh Bassett (Bedford Blues)
Tommy Bell (Sale Sharks)
Jamie Elliott (Northampton Saints)
Tom Heathcote (Bath Rugby)
Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
Ryan Mills (Gloucester Rugby)*
Ben Ransom (Saracens)*
Dan Robson (Gloucester Rugby)*
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Spencer (Saracens)
Charlie Walker (Harlequins)
Marland Yarde (London Irish)*

* Played in IRB Junior World Championship 2011

http://www.irb.com/jwc/news/newsid=2061917.html

The big omission, as far as I can tell, is no George Ford.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
The England squad by position (as best I can tell)

Props:
Luke Cowan-Dickie
Ross Harrison
Alec Hepburn
Kyle Sinkler

Hooker:
Max Crumpton
Koree Britton
Nathan Morris

Second-Row:
Dom Barrow
George Merrick
Sam Twomey

Flanker:
Matt Kvesic
Ben Nutley
Chris Walker

No.8:
David Sisi
Jack Clifford

Scrum Half:
Ben Spencer
Dan Robson

Fly Half:
Tom Heathcote
Tommy Bell
Henry Slade

Centre:
Sam Hill
Ryan Mills
Charlie Walker

Wing:
Josh Bassett
Marland Yarde
Jamie Elliot

Fullback:
Ben Ransom
Will Addison

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
3x Evans, 2x Thomas, 2x Jones seems pretty standard.

With only one Jenkins and one Davies you'd think they're a little light in that department.

A probable team that only includes one of each

1. Rob Evans
2. Kirby Myhill
3. Samson Lee
4. Cory Hill
5. Matt Screech
6. Ieuan Jones
7. Dan Thomas
8. Luke Hamilton

9. Tom Habberfield
10. Matthew Morgan
11. Harry Robinson
12. Tom Pascoe
13. Jack Dixon
14. Eli Walker
15. Tom Prydie

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
What's he story with Ford? Injured?

He's not injured. I can't find anything official, but have heard that it is so he can have a proper off-season and put some much needed muscle on his small frame.

The thinking is that he'll soon be in the reckoning for the senior test team and will not be afforded the luxury of full off-seasons in the near-future.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Bruce, James D stays at Rats and trains the same as he had at Uni, he is 1,000 to 1 to tour.
Boyd K is ripping it up in 1st grade and gets pipped by another flanker playing Ok in colts at Uni.
Deny it all you like, but playing for Uni gives players an advantage in being selected for higher honours.
No suggestion of any wrondoing, just a statement of what EVERYONE outside of Uni know to be true.

James will be back up inside centre behind Apo. Slim pickings in that position. So Killingworth comparison not really valid.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
How many of that England team toured Australia last year
8 by my count Iluv - more than I thought. All the lads who were here though as U/18 players in 2011 were in impressive physical specimens and had obviously had as much S&C work as a NRL trainee at the same age would have had.

When they played against Oz Schools last year they looked like men against boys, and the same held true for the comparison against the older players in the Oz U/19 team.

I'm not talking about size so much as strength and conditioning. Also they had obviously been exposed to a high level of footie expertise at their clubs and regional academies. They played older than their years and you could see the influence of the (England) RU which runs everything over there. Their team work in scrum and lineout, restarts, mauls etc looked like it was from the same playbook as the seniors

Therefore I wouldn't be so circumspect about those England guys playing U/20s in 2012 (though U/19 eligible, if there was anything to be eligible for) as I would be about Aussie players the same age.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
James will be back up inside centre behind Apo. Slim pickings in that position. So Killingworth comparison not really valid.
You misunderstand my point.
I only mentioned James as I believe had he stayed with Boyd at the Rats he would never have been selected. I am not suggesting that his selection is not warranted, just that Rats players are severely disadvantaged when compared to similiar players from Uni.
The Uni Colt's flanker I referred to is Melrose, not James D.
Does anyone think Boyd playing in Uni colours would not feature above Melrose in any selection process?

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
My England under 20 pack

Luke%20Cowan%20Dickie.ashx
Koree%20Britton.ashx
Kyle%20Sinckler.ashx

1. Luke Cowan-Dickie dfgldfjhdjfhgk2. Koree Britton adfghdflgjhdfgkjhd3. Kyle Sinkler
Age: 18 jfldjfhgldkfjhgdkfjghdkfjghAge: 20 djfhldfjhgldfkjhgdlkfjhgldkfjghAge: 19​
dfvHeight: 184 cm dfvhdlfvhdfjvhdkfjvHeight: 180 cm dfjvhbdljfhvbdlfjhvbHeight: 183 cm​
dfvWeight: 110 kg fvjhdfvhdfbvkjdhfvWeight: 107 kg dfhvbkdjfhvbkdjhvbWeight: 120 kg​

Sam_Twomey.ashx
U18_George_Merrick.ashx
4. Sam Twomey vdjfvndlkfjnkjkk5. George Merrick
Height: 197 cm djfhgldskjfhglkdjfhgHeight: 200 cm​
Weight: 115 kg dsfhglkdjfhgkdjfhglWeight: 120 kg​

U20_Ben_Nutley.ashx
Jack_Clifford_HS.ashx
Matt_Kvesic.ashx

6. Ben Nutley dfgdsfgdfgdsgsdfss8. Jack Clifford eghfghdfghfdhfghg7. Matt Kvesic
Age: 20 dfhgdfghrdhfghncvbcbbbbAge: 19 sdfsdfgxcvxvdfvsdfvxcvvdAge: 20​
dfHeight: 188 cm dfgsdfgffxcvdfadfHeight: 193 cm dfasdfasdfasdfsadfdHeight: 186 cm​
dWeight: 105 kg asdfasdfsdfsdvcvWeight: 100 kg yuiuioukjhktyuyujhjWeight: 104 kg​

As usual, the forwards are the England team’s strength. However, quite a few of them are a year young and perhaps not as intimidating as they could be.

Having said that, Kyle Sinckler is a big boy and was one of the better, if not the best, ball-carriers in the under 20 Six Nations.

Ben Nutley and Matt Kvesic are the two most experienced players in the squad, both having racked up appearances in the Aviva Premiership and in Europe. Both have been playing at 7, so one of them will have to switch to 6 if the team is to accommodate both players in the starting team.

Jack Clifford, a rather lanky No 8 with a nack for running great lines in support, is likely to start at 8. However, monster 120 kg No 8 David Sisi looks to be the reason Billy Vunipola (younger brother of prop Mako) missed out on the squad, so I expect him to push for that spot.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
and my backline

U20_Ben_Spencer.ashx
Heathcote223x223.jpg
sdf9. Ben Spencer dfsakdjfksjdfkfjg10. Tom Heathcote
dfgAge: 19 dfhgdjfhgdfgdfjhgfdjghkdfAge: 20​
Height: 183 cm dfghdfgjdshgkdjfdHeight: 179 cm​
Weight: 85 kg dfgjdshkgjhdfkjkjhhWeight: 89 kg​

Ryan_Mills.ashx
Charlie%20Walker.ashx
12. Ryan Mills jfdskgjdkgjdfghh13. Charlie Walker
Height: 183 cm eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHeight: 180 cm​
Weight: 94 kg eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeWeight: 83 kg​

Jamie_Elliot.ashx
Ben%20Ransom.ashx
Marland%20Yarde.ashx

11. Jamie Elliot eeeeeeeeeeee15. Ben Ransom eeeeeeeeeeeeee14. Marland Yarde
Age: 19 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeAge: 20 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeAge: 20​
Height: 180 cm eeeeeeeeeeeeeeHeight: 180 cm eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHeight: 185 cm​
Weight: 88 kg eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeWeight: 86 kg eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeWeight: 88 kg​

It's in the backs that I think England may struggle. At 9, Ben Spencer is a quick distributing scrum-half who has already played for Saracens and England Saxons. Tom Heathcote has been playing first XV rugby with Bath and is a fairly capable replacement for George Ford.

Ryan Mills is an all-round 10/12 and may be replaced by Sam Hill who plays a more direct game. I like Charlie Walker at 13 even though he's lighter than the average England 13, he's quick and has played with the England sevens team.

In the back three, England have to choose between Addison, Yarde, Elliot and Bassett. Most have played in the Aviva Premiership this season.

The main shortcoming I can see is that while there is plenty of ball-playing and quick feet, a lack of ball-carriers may see play become too lateral.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
England U20 have been hit by a blow ahead of the 2012 IRB Junior World Championship after Worcester flank Matt Kvesic was ruled out injured.

London Wasps back-row forward Billy Vunipola will replace the injured Kvesic in the squad for the trip to the tournament South Africa next month.

Former U18 international Vunipola, brother of Mako who played in last year's competition, is in line to make his U20 debut after impressing for Wasps in the latter stages of the season.

Aviva Premiership Discovery of the Season nominee Kvesic misses out after having surgery on a shoulder injury, meaning the 20-year-old Warrior won't add to his fourteen U20 caps.

"This is a really exciting opportunity and one I'm looking forward to. Matt's a quality player and he'll be missed, but having trained with the squad earlier in the season I know that there's some real talent in there," said Vunipola.

Meanwhile a disappointed Kvesic added: "I'm obviously gutted to miss the tournament. After losing in last year's final against New Zealand I was looking forward to giving it another crack, but it's not meant to be.

"I've loved every minute representing the Under 20s and I wish the guys the best of luck in South Africa - I've got every confidence they'll give it their all."

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,14793_7742624,00.html

Big blow for England's hopes, although they have good cover in Nutley who is accustomed to playing No 7.

It may result in a more traditionally "balanced" back row with an extra ball-carrier such as Sisi coming in.

T

tranquility

Hard to go past the Saffers or French for me. The Kiwi side will be quite poor imo.

Ha ha, yeah right.. I won't hold my breath. :rolleyes:

The Saffas do look good don't they?
What is known of the French? I know nothing....
Poms are always well drilled..
Aussies to be lucky to make the semi's, but I love this tournaments and will be watching every second if given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.