• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The last couple of Kiwi schoolboy sides have been quite poor imo compared to previous years. They're not taking their current Super rugby players and will be poorer for it, not many big names in their squad. I'm sure they'll be of high quality mainly due to the superior coaching they'll receive but I don't expect them to be any near as strong as last year. Last year they had about 10 or so big names, I don't know any of them this year.

The French like the English run the best development programs, they were physically bigger than most sides last year and they always have a lot skill and flair to work with.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It strue the past two NZ schoolboys were not that good but from what I am led to believe that the schools pathway is a little behind the clubs pathway in NZ. How many of the NZ squad played in those past two school teams. From what I saw last year of the English under 18/19 side and the strength of their junior program I can't help but think they will be very strong. Didn't they play NZ in the final last year

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It strue the past two NZ schoolboys were not that good but from what I am led to believe that the schools pathway is a little behind the clubs pathway in NZ. How many of the NZ squad played in those past two school teams. From what I saw last year of the English under 18/19 side and the strength of their junior program I can't help but think they will be very strong. Didn't they play NZ in the final last year
That english squad were awesome.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jed Holloway and Apo Latunipulu played together today in a win against Sydney Uni. Both looked very good and confortable at that level which was encouraging to see. Apo has a much improved game since when he was playing schoolboys where he was criticised for lacking ball distribution and defence. Has a nice long pass on him now and can offload in the tackle. Defence is also much stronger. Holloway was good up against a big Uni pack, held his own in tight and did well in the lineouts.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
and my backline

It's in the backs that I think England may struggle. At 9, Ben Spencer is a quick distributing scrum-half who has already played for Saracens and England Saxons. Tom Heathcote has been playing first XV rugby with Bath and is a fairly capable replacement for George Ford.

Ryan Mills is an all-round 10/12 and may be replaced by Sam Hill who plays a more direct game. I like Charlie Walker at 13 even though he's lighter than the average England 13, he's quick and has played with the England sevens team.

In the back three, England have to choose between Addison, Yarde, Elliot and Bassett. Most have played in the Aviva Premiership this season.

The main shortcoming I can see is that while there is plenty of ball-playing and quick feet, a lack of ball-carriers may see play become too lateral.

The england pack is alright but not as big or accomplished as last year, Sinckler, Twomey, Merrick and Clifford are all quality players. Have played against Sinckler and Clifford since I was about 12, good to see a couple of surrey boys at the JWC.

Hill is not as good as Mills, doubt he will replace him if im honest. Have a feeling Robson might start at 9 as well, he was decent in the 6 nations and has been in the set up longer than Spencer.

Walker is class, as are Ransom and Yarde. No doubt we will miss Ford and Daly though, this years backline would have been devastating had they made the comp.

Prediction: Probably semi's, will miss the control from Ford and some dynamic ball carriers in the back row of years gone by.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Keo
Paarl Gym 10 gets Baby Bok surprise

22 May 2012
Paarl Gym 1st XV flyhalf Handre Pollard has received a call-up to the Baby Boks training camp this week.

With Cheetahs flyhalf Johan Goosen ruled out with a shoulder injury, Bulls Vodacom Cup and U21 pivot Tony Jantjies will be the front runner to spearhead the Baby Boks at the upcoming Junior World Championship from 4-22 June. However, who will provide backup?
SA U20 head coach Dawie Theron has handed Pollard a national call-up this week. The 18-year-old has been a star feature for Paarl Gym, who are currently ranked as the No 1 rugby school in the country, and is set to play his second year of Craven Week for WP in July.
Theron plans on fielding the schoolboy in the Baby Boks’ trial match against Hamiltons U20s in Cape Town on Wednesday night.
‘He’s been very good this year. I’ve been very impressed with the way he has played for Paarl Gym and the WP Craven Week trial squad,’ Theron told Schoolboy Derby. ‘It’s not impossible for an 18-year-old to excel in an international U20 tournament. [Leicester Tigers pivot] Graham Ford made his debut for the England U20s at the age of 17 and Derrick Hougaard starred in a Currie Cup final nine months after finishing school. I believe Handre has the size and talent to do the same.
‘I have also called up Sharks XV flyhalf Fred Zeilinga as a possible option. Lions fullback Marais Schmidt is also a capable flyhalf, but he’s struggling with an ankle injury.’
Pollard admitted that he was surprised by Theron’s call last weekend, but plans on making the most of the opportunity.
‘Coach Dawie spoke to me over the weekend and told me about his plans. He wants to see how I fit into the squad and if I can make the step up,’ Pollard also told this site. ‘It’s a huge honour for me and will be a big challenge. I expect this level will be quicker and more physical compared to the kind of standards that I’m used to, but I’m positive I will be able to handle it.’
Pollard is also highly rated by Springbok head coach Heyneke Meyer. In the June issue of SA Rugby magazine, Meyer said: ‘He has a good rugby brain and has the physical attributes too [Pollard stands at 1.89m and weighs 95kg]. If he continues doing well, he’ll play for the Springboks one day.’

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Doesn't Australia play a trial in Aus before they leave? Anyone know when it is ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It's on at Rat Park which is not too far from where they are training at Narrabeen.

Don't know the time but I will try to find out from the Rats tomorrow.

It's probably not on at night as it is pricey to turn the lights on.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I could be completely wrong. It's just that the Manager of the Rats told me that it cost them a lot to have night games for that reason - they had to reimburse the Council, the owner of the ground.

The ARU would have more in the kitty than the poor old Rats who don't have a spare 20 cent piece to scratch their bums with - so maybe my pricey remark should not have been made.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I could be completely wrong. It's just that the Manager of the Rats told me that it cost them a lot to have night games for that reason - they had to reimburse the Council, the owner of the ground.

The ARU would have more in the kitty than the poor old Rats who don't have a spare 20 cent piece to scratch their bums with - so maybe my pricey remark should not have been made.
lee don't get me wrong in no way do I see this is a poor reflection on the rats and if they publicized it might even give them a chance to generate some (from what I hear) sorely needed funds.
Also without getting too insular it would be hard to pick a destination more fraught with Friday evening traffic, assuming its even an afternoon game, than the northern beaches: north Sydney oval would attract a good crowd - if they gave it any publicity as opposed to burying it in a press release attached to some photos, the players in which don't match the squad list (Meakes) - I know he made 2011 but if he's in the 2012 squad he must have left school at 15.....
Still this level of support is something the players should get used to......do they to keep their socks and shorts this time? One mum told me the u19s that played English schools had to give them back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have to agree that they should have done something to promote this game. I'm sure there are a lot of interested people out there who would love to see the bright young stars of the future play. The only reason that I know the game was on was because I was talking to Maile told me at training last week before he went into camp.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
lee don't get me wrong in no way do I see this is a poor reflection on the rats and if they publicized it might even give them a chance to generate some (from what I hear) sorely needed funds.
The council gets all the cash from entry, car parking & even the fucking canteen, as part of the lease.
Rats do get to keep any funds from raffle tickets they sell I think, but that would be all.

Status
Not open for further replies.