• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
How many times did UJ kick beautifully into the corner for a given penalty and we lost it in the line out? Can't afford that at any time.
Didn't the Argies have some speed. Wet weather didn't slow them down.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Outfought and outmuscled in the rain. Seems a familiar refrain. That pitch was a disgrace for a tournament of this magnitude. Shouldn't happen nowadays. Think the Irish/English have to play on it in an hour.

Gill - honest & positive in his post match comments. He'll learn from this too. Arg were better at the breakdown.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Did you see their passion before the game and at half time.

It can work against you on a dry track if a team puts a few on you and all of a sudden you are looking up the hill having spent all your emotional energy. But in weather like tonight its guts and glory stuff.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
If it had be refereed better the breakdown wouldn't have been such a shot fight players flying in, coming in from offside positions not releasing it was as if Bryce was out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Was mentioned earlier in the thread yesterday.

Thanks mate. There has been so much confused information/misinformation about viewing that I must have missed it. Ended up watching a totally uneventful stage of the Dauphiné. Bloody old Murdoch. I hold him personally responsible for how useless Foxtel is in providing information to their viewers.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The Argentinian openside (Matea?) is a player to watch; he was the best on the park by some margin. Completely outplayed Gill, and you wont read that too often in the years to come.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
I may be mistaken but did Australia even attempt a rolling maul? Perhaps they didn't want to take the Argies on like that. Few too many dropped passes but it shouldn't have been played that wide so often. Godwin didn't kick well in play, distance kicks were too floaty and I think all through out Australian rugby, players are almost scared to put in attacking low trajectory kicks, set play or open. It's almost as though kicking has grown into a naughty habit in Australia (Stephen Donald syndrome?) All their territory was off the back of penalties. They made enough ground through some good forward runners but too often met isolation or a more tenacious set of ruckers.

Essentially, Argentina looked like they wanted it more and were more willing to do what it takes in the conditions. Should be a cracker against France if the rain stays away.

I agree, a lot harder than it looks, as he made it look simpler than it is (is that a tautology?)

lol, I think so. :confused: I'm no English professor though.

NZ have changed their 10 to suit the conditions. A left boot with a body attached for practicality from Southland, Scott Eade. Has played ITM Cup.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The telling stat was - Ball Moved to Wings - Aus 8, Arg 0.

We don't know any other way than to fling it wide. In the wet it gives the chance of that runaway try happening. We never got the chance to return the favour.

Australian teams never learn to grind it out up front. It is rare for us to beat foreign teams playing this way as they are invariably better that us here. Frankly, there is a cultural aversion to it in our rugby; we want the ball to be moved wide and for the game to entertain and for it not to be a dour struggle.

Other countries don't have that luxury because of weather; they encounter shit conditions regularly and teams will not survive if they can't slug it out toe-to-toe in the muck.

Even with dry weather, some teams (Munster, Top14 sides in France, Aviva Premiership teams) choose to play that way, and the punters accept and relish the arm wrestle, the scrum battles, the territorial battle. It's a game fore "traditionalists" they say. Australian teams get derided for choosing to play that way, and when we have to, we just can't. We don't know how to. We fly into breakdowns to generate quick ball for the halfback to use, not to wear down the opposition. Our set-pieces are more typically thought of as a means to re-start the game and provide a platform from which we can attack; elsewhere they view those set-pieces more as a primary weapon to subdue and overwhelm.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Again Oz players were like Babes in the Woods in the wet and mud.

I don't really have an answer for it because we don't have a lot of weather like that and when it is wet it's not so muddy because of our sandy soil on the parks we play on as youngsters.

I doubt if the Argies had any more experience in those conditions though. I think they were street smarter in the conditions on offer and more more used to a narrow game anyway. Better in the top inches also.

Of course if we had played a narrow game and lost, we knockers would be criticising them for not having a Plan B.

Just guessing.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
NZ have changed their 10 to suit the conditions. A left boot with a body attached for practicality from Southland, Scott Eade. Has played ITM Cup.

All teams must start every member of their squad in the pool stages. That might have something to do with it too.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
All teams must start every member of their squad in the pool stages. That might have something to do with it too.

Ah, well that would be part of it. I didn't know that rule. Eade is playing very sub-par.

Jeez, the Welsh are a mouthy bunch. Demanding penalties at every ruck. Pretty obnoxious some of them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If any of you are with bookies you can absolutely clean up here. Lines of +26 for Argentina and Scotland. +40 for Wales and Italy, bookies have no idea about the weather and it's affect.

I'm convinced Australian performances in these types of soil and rain are to do with the councils here.

Reactions: ACR

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lee, there are no councils in this country that would allow their fields to be used in the conditions we saw in this game.
If its not a fast track, the ovals are closed.
Kids today cannot learn to play in muddy conditions.
Not so fast Ilike.

I've told this story before.

A long while back my eldest was playing in the Under 10s or something like that on the ground outside Rat Park. It had being raining for weeks and there were puddles like mini lakes. They played all right.

One time Big Ollie of Newport got the ball near the Narrabeen 22. He was always hard to stop, Ollie, but just as he started to get into his stride one of the Narrabeen players said: "Look, there's a frog." All his team mates went over to the huge puddle and looked at the frog as Ollie walked over the goal line and scored the try.

Then he and the other Newport players went over to look at the frog, as the Narrabeen coach was tearing his hair out.

A lack of concentration in the wet starts early in Oz.

Reactions: ACR

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ could go down here as well. Imagine if Wales and Argentina knock off NZ and Aus in the same day!

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
NZ could go down here as well. Imagine if Wales and Argentina knock off NZ and Aus in the same day!

New Zealand (via Eade) taking some poor options to pass it out wide. Need to put it just behind the rushing Welsh defence if we can't clear the cover defence.

He was not held, terrible call 1 metre out from the line. NZ were in there.

God we've been kicking it terribly. Have to say, that penalty to take the lead was wrong as well. The 3 was binding on the arm and the touchie made an uneducated call.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wales really got away with the missed pen by NZ after that fluffed kick. 9-6 up with 15 to go Wales just have to keep it up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is a carbon copy of Aus vs Scotland

If NZ goes on to lose it's also the 2007 WC all over again :p

Status
Not open for further replies.