• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well, it looks like we are stuck with our coach, at least until the end of TRC.
There are not many changes that can be made if there are no new players drafted into the squad. Surely he will take a couple in place of injured players? If JOC (James O'Connor) and McCabe are available I would suggest that McCabe go to IC. Cooper needs an IC that can makes some cheap yards when nothing else is on and who can shut down Steyn who made some good ground in midfield against the Pumas that got them over the adv. line and going forward. JOC (James O'Connor) to the bench or onto the wing in place of Mitchell.
The biggest change needs to be in the mindset of the backline and having pre-practised moves off first and subsequent phase play. This would help a lot.
Our scrum wasn't too bad on the weekend. Will Kepu go straight back in if available?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
There isn't a ton of changes that can be made, there isn't a few changes that can be made.

I would argue that there would be greater Importance and greater rewards in making as few changes as possible and allowing some combinations and understanding to form for the rest of the championships.

Bringing back McCabe, fine, but although he was absent from one bad defeat he was there for another. Etc etc.

There isn't fresh, winning, consistent players waiting in the wings, the "depth" is gone, cupboard is bare and we need to back who we got.

T

TOCC

I dont particularly agree WJ, I think there are players out their capable of performing at test level who just haven't had the opportunity to really display it at super rugby level..

One of those is Cummins, put him on the end of the Brumbies or Reds backline and he would be a Wallaby starter already..

There are also players like Tapuai, Neville, Fardy, Charles, Hanson, Shipperly etc who all performed better then some of the current Wallabies throughout the season yet aren't considered

I'm not suggesting these guys are natural substitutes, but there is definetly room for tinkering with the current squad.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
TOCC- agree with ships and taps. They should be around selection at the moment. Every other player you mention though would not make or provide any difference for the better in the current wallabies, due to a) there own ability and b) the opportunities they would be provided by those around them in the team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it would be worthwhile considering Shipperly if Mitchell is injured and Beale is really struggling. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could remain at fullback and Shipperly could be drafted in on the wing.

Tapuai could be worth bringing into the squad but it is hard to see him being parachuted into the 22. I don't think Barnes is likely to be dropped after one bad test considering he was really good against Wales and OK in Bledisloe 1.

Horne has been solid at 13 and has defended really well. He has had very few opportunities in attack and you'd have to say he is marginally ahead of Fainga'a in what we've seen in the two Bledisloes. If Tapuai was brought in it would seemingly be at the expense of Fainga'a in my opinion.

TPN and Moore have been amongst our better players and will stay. I don't see Hanson and Charles as being anywhere near a call up.

It would seem like Neville and Fardy aren't likely to get a look in before Douglas. Unless Simmons really falls out of favour it is unlikely any of them will get a run soon. Timani and Sharpe will remain the starting locks for the next few tests.

What we really need is a number 8 whilst Palu isn't fit.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Here is my XV.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ships
12. Barnes
13. Cummins
14. Ioane
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I am still a fan of the Cooper-Barnes nexus at 10/12, they just kicked too much fucking ball.

Samo has added some real punch off the bench, so he needs to start. Higgers isn't an 8.

Cummins needs to be tried at 13, Horne/Fainga'a have been solid but not sure that's enough.

Beale is not right, and should be sent back to clubland to get his shit together.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Horne has been solid at 13 and has defended really well. He has had very few opportunities in attack and you'd have to say he is marginally ahead of Fainga'a in what we've seen in the two Bledisloes. If Tapuai was brought in it would seemingly be at the expense of Fainga'a in my opinion.

We need Stirling Mortlock, not to play, but to be brought into the coaching squad to teach Horne how to run lines. Surely he's got a load of knowledge about how to be a proper 13 that could be imparted onto Horne. Right now, Horne defends great and he is fast and strong enough to become a good attacking 13 but he's got no idea how to beat his opposing number.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
When was Cooper injured have we found out yet? If it was early then i think the backs will remain much the same. The game plan was obviously torn up hence Barnes playing at 10 most of the game. If this is the case can someone from the Wobs coaching staff be a bit more transparent ...why the secret?. All they are doing by hiding is opening themselves up to be ridiculed by all of us. If we didnt get to play to the Cooper style game then give them another chance. We can have Mccabe and JOC (James O'Connor) on bench for plan B. BTW Cummins is McCabe but not as good ...we've all agreed you can't have two hit up men in the centres outside Cooper..or you get RWC mk II. BTW i'm not sure who is questioning JOCs defence but you need to replay a few matches..he's missed 1 tackle in recent memeory and that was McCabe in Super 15. Anyway lets all calm down and get the real story on what that was about......if it indeed was the game plan to not get tackled all night then by all means smash away... Berrick has indeed proved btw that he is not a Ten. Never,Never,Never again.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think thats a pretty fair team barbs. I think that pack is about the best we can put out at the moment.

The backs hinge on the fitness of JOC (James O'Connor) and McCabe. I dont think you can reward poor performance, and barnes played poorly. I agree with your wingers though, and I also would like to see cummins rewarded for his efforts.

On another note, I would be suspect about playing a back 3 of Beale, Ioane and Ships as none of them are noted kickers. I think this is probably what is keeping AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out of the 13 jersey at the moment.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Here is my XV.

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Timani
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ships
12. Barnes
13. Cummins Horne
14. Ioane
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I am still a fan of the Cooper-Barnes nexus at 10/12, they just kicked too much fucking ball.

Samo has added some real punch off the bench, so he needs to start. Higgers isn't an 8.

Cummins needs to be tried at 13, Horne/Fainga'a have been solid but not sure that's enough.

Beale is not right, and should be sent back to clubland to get his shit together.

I'm inclined to agree with BH regarding Horne. He has been average, but not bad. That said, I'd like to see Taps or Cummins get a run -- but from the bench. Given that Taps is coming back from injury, I agree with you that it's the Honey Badger who needs a shot but I'd have him on the bench. Also, Samo can't play much more than 30 minutes, but hopefully he'll set the tone a bit before we get Higgers back at 8.

16. TPN
17. Robbo/Alexander
18. Simmons
19. Dennis
20. Gill
21. Phipps
22. Cummins

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
What's the go with Inman? We need to develop a quality 13 and Horne isn't doing anything for me at the moment. I really don't think Cummins is the option as I see him more as a winger. Inman has shown great improvement and is a great size. I'd love to see him in the squad and groomed as a 13 option.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
We need Stirling Mortlock, not to play, but to be brought into the coaching squad to teach Horne how to run lines. Surely he's got a load of knowledge about how to be a proper 13 that could be imparted onto Horne. Right now, Horne defends great and he is fast and strong enough to become a good attacking 13 but he's got no idea how to beat his opposing number.

I think Horne has been a victim of circumstance in his attacking play over the last year or so. When he came on the scene the lines he ran where great, intelligent, strong and effective. In attack at both the Tahs and wallabies he never gets front foot ball so very rarely gets an opportunity to run a line from the 13 channel.

I agree with having mortlock around though, can only do good for current players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What's the go with Inman? We need to develop a quality 13 and Horne isn't doing anything for me at the moment. I really don't think Cummins is the option as I see him more as a winger. Inman has shown great improvement and is a great size. I'd love to see him in the squad and groomed as a 13 option.

Inman has shown great improvement going from Super Rugby back to Club Rugby.

I think we tend to get well ahead of ourselves looking for a new option when the current option isn't working out so well.

I'm going to put it out there that Inman wouldn't have looked nearly as good playing opposite Ma'a Nonu than he did playing against Manly in the Shute Shield.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm inclined to agree with BH regarding Horne. He has been average, but not bad. That said, I'd like to see Taps or Cummins get a run -- but from the bench. Given that Taps is coming back from injury, I agree with you that it's the Honey Badger who needs a shot but I'd have him on the bench. Also, Samo can't play much more than 30 minutes, but hopefully he'll set the tone a bit before we get Higgers back at 8.

16. TPN
17. Robbo/Alexander
18. Simmons
19. Dennis
20. Gill
21. Phipps
22. Cummins

I think that is probably fair enough.

I am a Horne fan, in the sense that I don't hate him as much as everybody else seems to. He is a solid option at 13. But frankly we need someone who can really bend the line at 13, and I'm not sure he offers that at the moment. I can see why he deserves to hold his spot though, and bringing Cummins off the bench is probably the right thing to do for his 1st test.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we need some more size in the outside backs. Horne and Fainga'a are there to provide go forward but its just not happening at the moment. We need an out centre and a winger who can break a tackle and make metres with every touch. Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale can put blokes in gaps, but we need the support players to finish it all off.

T

TOCC

I don't have any particular issues with Horne.... It's just the chemistry of the backline that annoys me..

Apart from Digby, we don't really have anyone who can be used to get across the gain line, they don't neceessarily need to break tackles, they just need to bend the defensive line and get some front foot ball and the defenders on the back foot..

That's why Cummins appeals to me over Horne and Fainga'a.

T

TOCC

Too bad Morahan didn't have a better year, someone of his size and speed could be extremely useful right now

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think we need some more size in the outside backs. Horne and Fainga'a are there to provide go forward but its just not happening at the moment. We need an out centre and a winger who can break a tackle and make metres with every touch. Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale can put blokes in gaps, but we need the support players to finish it all off.

I would say that JOC (James O'Connor)'s core skill is in beating his man, whether with his step or deceptive strength. Ioane frequently beats his man, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) does sometimes, Mitchell was at least as good as Ioane before all his injuries. I think McCabe will help hit the gain line once he gets back, but he's not really a smash-the-guy-and-make-a-big-break player just yet.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Until we win breakdowns consistently in a match judging the backline is a waste of time. Just stick with what we have and let them mould.

Status
Not open for further replies.