• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
The Boks will be desperately disappointed with this result. Their attack was fairly anaemic.

The Wallabies' kicking tactics/execution in the first half were diabolical. Deans was entitled to show his dismay at half-time. Surely given all of the criticism of the negative kicking, especially in the 2nd Bledisloe, Wallabies' coaches/fans could expect a more positive mindset from the get go.

Thankfully we were able to turn around the 1st half dregs & build some attacking phases in the 2nd stanza. More of the same earlier & the tries were there for the taking.

Defence again excellent. Happy debut for Shipperley. Hooper can be well pleased with his 2nd starting performance.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It looks that way, yes. He couldn't stand on it and was in a lot of pain. The no support thing is bad.

Tigger

Peter Burge (5)
Bit scrappy with more rugby played by the wallabies in the second half....scrum not bad....line out still needs a bit of work ...Captains curse strikes again...hopefully not to serious....bit too much aimless kicking though ( who coaches the backs again....hmmm) .....also who gets the inaugural Pat McCabe " I tackled the boks to a standstill and then had shoulder surgery" award? Any suggestions? I thought the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) take out two boks in our 22 was freaking awesome.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
The first half was crap, but I enjoyed the 2nd half.

I felt the Wallabies really showed some ticker in defense. At half time I thought we were toast. Amazing the transformation when we stopped the stupid kicks.

My fault, p.Tah, 'cause I only donned the LRJs (Lucky Red Jocks) after showering at half-time! I thought I needed an alternative to one of my Wobs jerseys, so I'm wearing a Reds T-shirt, which worked a treat!!
Off to the Argi match next Saturday to see the "new' Wallabies line-up. With all the injuries, it may be similar to the Aust Barbarians who we saw play Canada at the same venue.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...snip... I thought the AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) take out two boks in our 22 was freaking awesome.

I thought both tackles were high, and he was lucky not to get penalised for them. Both times the first contact was over shoulder height.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Someone needs to invent a structure that can be worn by football players that prevents these knee injuries while not restricting movement. It will need some advanced materials that can sense when a joint is being torqued the wrong way and can react to lock things up. Maybe some sort of nano- material etc. It has to happen.

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'll have to watch the replay & see more of the 1st half, missed a fair bit due to arriving home late.

But reading though the earlier comments it sounds like it was a bit of a kick-a-thon.

Oh yeah & yay Wallabies!

Angry, I wouldn't be rushing to watch a replay of the 1st half - you'll find better ways to spend 40 mins of your life. You caught the best bits!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My fault, p.Tah, 'cause I only donned the LRJs (Lucky Red Jocks) after showering at half-time! I thought I needed an alternative to one of my Wobs jerseys, so I'm wearing a Reds T-shirt, which worked a treat!!
Off to the Argi match next Saturday to see the "new' Wallabies line-up. With all the injuries, it may be similar to the Aust Barbarians who we saw play Canada at the same venue.

Mr Doug,

You were warned to fire them up very early, and we took it as read that they were deployed. Good thing that you finally deployed the LRJ's cause we certainly needed their luckiness.

Tigger

Peter Burge (5)
I thought both tackles were high, and he was lucky not to get penalised for them. Both times the first contact was over shoulder height.

HJ....definitely agree with this....I guess the ref and touch team did miss quite a bit on the night...

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
From the playing personnel point of view I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a very good game, should be 1st choice 13. QC (Quade Cooper) looked good when he took it to the line and he set the tone by standing so flat, decision making wasn't great at times. Barnes had a poor game and gave some poor passes when a break/try was on and kicked away too much ball.

Shipperly had an excellent debut. Beale still looks out of sorts but will probably retain his place due to injuries but on form he shouldn't be in the 22 and needs to be given time and support to sort himself out. Diggers looked good in patches but it's a testament to the lift in performance that he wasn't the automatic choice for best performing back this time out.

Genia was looking really good and he'll be missed, not just for his individual contribution but also for his combination with QC (Quade Cooper).

Standout performers/under performers in the pack for me were Sharpe - though he had a poor game and seemed to be looking for trouble rather than looking for work as he normally does.

I thought Higgers looked really good coming off the bench and could do well as an impact sub. Samo really made an impact coming into the side, created space by drawing defenders and put in some big hits. Hooper had an excellent game and would be my man of the match. Front row went well in the scrums and put themselves about well in the loose.

Lineout was very poor although it finished much better than it started. Thought Timani didn't have much impact on the game but maybe his last game raised my expectation of him a bit too much. Was really good to see the bench actually being used. Thought those they came on had good impacts. Higgers looked good coming on as an impact sub and that's where I'd use him again next time. Gill paired with Hooper looked good especially when Aus had to defend with SA looking for a try to square it up. Both Fainga'as put themselves about when they came on.

Overall the performance from the players was really good. Breakdown work much improved. Line out was poor, scrum looked good. On attack with ball in hand Aus looked dangerous. Some nice moves there but also some moves that looked like they were at training ground pace. Those should tighten up over time if they persist with standing flat and attacking the line. Kicking tactic was terrible.

Deans should be given credit for use of the bench, yes some were due to injury but it was an open secret that Aus were going to use their bench early.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Someone needs to invent a structure that can be worn by football players that prevents these knee injuries while not restricting movement. It will need some advanced materials that can sense when a joint is being torqued the wrong way and can react to lock things up. Maybe some sort of nano- material etc. It has to happen.

It's called the cruciate ligaments.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
So it seems we can beat everyone but NZ, even if its ugly and messy and involves the continuance of this ridiculous aimless kicking game. What it means to be number 2 I guess. Makes you realise just how much better they play than the rest of the world right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.