• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I also seriously question JdV as captain. He thinks we lost because of lack of experience. Well he and Steyn had poor game and they are experienced wo what the fuck is he on about?

I was also thinking the same thing, as well as the fact that SA are no less experienced than the Wallabies!

And I am sure that after he made the decision to kick for the line with about 8 to go he looked to the sideline to tell them what he was doing as a confirmation it was the right thing. That is a big concern if it I am right about reading the situation.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Meyer seems terribly stubborn. Wallaby fans empathise with that. SA have so much talent and a coach with no courage to try it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think Morne Steyn is an international quality 5/8 any more. Or at least not a Bok International quality 5/8.

He was atrocious on Saturday. He'd either mindlessly shovel the ball wide or mindlessly kick. Except when he had 3 men unmarked outside him, where he decided it was time to take on the line himself.

I know he serves a purpose(and he is still a top notch kicker which counts for a lot) and fits the game plan, but Goosen's 10 minutes showed just what a competent 10 can do in the Boks lineup.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Here is my Tin Foil Hat theory.

Dingo instructs the Wobs to grubber and chip kick but in a manner that is plausibly deniable. Heaven knows deciphering anything he says takes a fair bit of intellectual horsepower and good degree of concentration.

The Men in Gold follow the "instructions" and kick the pill away with gay abandon in the first half.

This then allows Dingo to get on his high horse for the Oranges Interview with Foxtel, delivering a pre-scripted statement that he is upset with the "dribbly little grubber kicks".

In the Second half, the aforesaid dribbly little grubber kicks stop and the Men in Gold actually get some front foot quick ruck ball and hey presto Dingo is presented to the non-Tin Foil Hat brigade as a great leader/coach for his ability to change the game plan and display positive leadership.

Job Done. Career saved (for now).
Has someone hacked into your account?
Or has the tin foil had some negative health impacts?
some of your more recent posts have been mind boggling.

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
Here is my Tin Foil Hat theory.

Dingo instructs the Wobs to grubber and chip kick but in a manner that is plausibly deniable. Heaven knows deciphering anything he says takes a fair bit of intellectual horsepower and good degree of concentration.

The Men in Gold follow the "instructions" and kick the pill away with gay abandon in the first half.

This then allows Dingo to get on his high horse for the Oranges Interview with Foxtel, delivering a pre-scripted statement that he is upset with the "dribbly little grubber kicks".

In the Second half, the aforesaid dribbly little grubber kicks stop and the Men in Gold actually get some front foot quick ruck ball and hey presto Dingo is presented to the non-Tin Foil Hat brigade as a great leader/coach for his ability to change the game plan and display positive leadership.

Job Done. Career saved (for now).
Or maybe Deans told them not to grubber at half time and it's the players who were at fault? I know he's not the most popular coach but be fair mate.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Both Sharpe and Gill's post match interview seemed to indicate the plan was to turn the book forwards around (after they were both asked specifically about the over use of short kicks) which would lead me to think that it was intended all along.

They were terrible kicks and didn't work, but that could have just been execution. I am starting to wonder whether the players themselves are even training the game plan, or just being told what it is and then expecting that their skill is enough to execute it.

Scott Allen's videos show that there are patterns of play, just very poorly executed. To me it looks like they haven't been running the plays enough in training (or even running standard drills).

Still, the fast ruck work and the repeated ability to get over the gain line was very encouraging. QC (Quade Cooper) taking the ball up to the line and flat passing is way more dangerous and effective at putting pressure on the defense. The straight and diagonal ball runners off short passes is something tha has been missing from the wallabies this year - good to see it back.

Good debut from the young guy as well, hope he continues to play as I think he is a very strong winger. Both he and digby always seem to never go backwards in a tackle.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can I suggest that ARU have a hunt around for a virgin, I think you need one to sacrifice to appease the rugby gods to stop these bloody injuries too.
Maybe she can be sacrificed by being kicked to death by the backline. When she passes, I pray they have got all of the kicking out of their system and will want to run the ball

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
''Our kicking wasn't always the sharpest and this is something we must get better at,'' Deans said. ''It all revolves around when you kick, why you're kicking, what's the aim in mind. There's no doubt we made our job more difficult last night. Some of our kicking has been the result of anxiety.''

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...rse-strikes-20120909-25m4m.html#ixzz260dJCTP2

I wonder if they identified this after the first All Blecks test?

D

daz

Yes, we won. Hooray for us. I'm not about to bet my house on RWC15 just yet though. I recognise the second half was better, and there was some real commitment shown by several of the lads (yes, I'm looking specifically at you AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) but really, has the bar been set so low that we are actually happy with that excrement of a game?

The only thing that brings some joy is the fact that there are Bok supporters feeling more depressed than me.

Small observation:

When Kafe spoke to Deans at half time, I noticed that Deans was genuinely bewildered at the performance of the team. For the first time, he really seemed stunned and shaken up by what he was seeing.

I almost felt sorry for him, but then it occured to me that the kicks, game plan and decision making of the team may well fall under his remit.

Good to see he has finally caught up to what the rest of us have been seeing.

Watching the Wallabies play is an exercise in self-harm.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think at times the coaches talk about keeping the defense on the back foot by a kick behind.

But unfortunately it appears some times the players interpret it as keep trying it until it works, not doing it once

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've got no issue with the concept of chip or box kick to keep the defence guessing, but the regularity with which it's happening at the moment means that all the opposition have to do is hang back a bit and wait to receive the ball. It's rather like a bowler delivering 5 bouncers an over. After a while the batsman will adjust and start smacking them for four.

Both are very low percentage plays.

I'd rather a kick for field position that goes into touch, with a strong chase to stop the quick restart.

D

daz

I think at times the coaches talk about keeping the defense on the back foot by a kick behind.

But unfortunately it appears some times the players interpret it as keep trying it until it works, not doing it once

Sure. I understand that and you are probably right.

I'm just trying to reconcile the idea that the mantra from RD is "play what is in front of you", where-as the constant kicking is almost embedded as a first choice option.

So there are two issues here: one is that maybe the players are just not that good at identifying the best option (or have forgotted how to run the ball) and simply revert to kicking the pill away, and the other is that it appears that no-one in the Wallaby coaching camp is trying to coach that knee-jerk kicking out of them.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can someone please tell Gilbert they won. His expression looks like he lost another match.
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 10.14.42 PM.png

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes, we won. Hooray for us. I'm not about to bet my house on RWC15 just yet though. I recognise the second half was better, and there was some real commitment shown by several of the lads (yes, I'm looking specifically at you AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) but really, has the bar been set so low that we are actually happy with that excrement of a game?

I think that's a bit harsh. I don't think anyone on this forum are is suggesting that it was a complete performance from the Wallabies, but at the same time coming back from 13-6 down at half time against the Boks is nothing to scoff at. The team (particularly the backline) has been low on confidence and it was refreshing to see them regaining some self belief towards the last 20 minutes of the game.

I quite enjoyed the second half of that game

H

H...

"low on confidence" is such a cop out. They're shit. This isn't the under 14s, they're pros. They (and by "they" I mean the team and the coach) need to start putting in some decent 80 minute performances or they need to be replaced (coach needs replacing already).

The 2nd half was alright compared to the 1st, but that's not saying much.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I've got no issue with the concept of chip or box kick to keep the defence guessing, but the regularity with which it's happening at the moment means that all the opposition have to do is hang back a bit and wait to receive the ball. It's rather like a bowler delivering 5 bouncers an over. After a while the batsman will adjust and start smacking them for four.

Both are very low percentage plays.

I'd rather a kick for field position that goes into touch, with a strong chase to stop the quick restart.

Particularly if, like Beale and Barnes, you keep trying to do it with your weak foot! I think there was at least two each they tried with their left.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

If he doesn't want his team to kick why did he:

a) pick Barnes at 10 in the first TRC game
b) move him to 12 for the 2nd and 3rd games

despite all the evidence pointing to him being a kick first player?

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I see Elizabeth has to appear before the citing commisioner.

Eben Etzebeth to appear before a SANZAR Judicial Hearing

9/9/2012
By SANZAR Media Unit

imageResize.ashx
Following initial consideration by the SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Mike Heron, Eben Etzebeth of South Africa will appear at a SANZAR Judicial Hearing after being cited for alleged foul play during the match at the weekend between Australia and South Africa in The Castrol EDGE Rugby Championship.

Etzebeth is alleged to have contravened Law 10.4 (a) Punching or Striking, when he made contact with Australian player Nathan Sharpe with his head. The incident occurred in the 25th minute of the match between Australia and South Africa at Patersons Stadium in Perth on Saturday 8th September 2012.

The Judicial Officer for the Hearing will be Nigel Hampton QC (Quade Cooper) which will be held by video conference at 7pm NZST, 9am SAST, 5pm AEST and 4am ART on 10th September 2012.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If he doesn't want his team to kick why did he:

a) pick Barnes at 10 in the first TRC game
b) move him to 12 for the 2nd and 3rd games

despite all the evidence pointing to him being a kick first player?

not my point, I am sure the kicking was talked about as an option but I am also sure it was talk about as the over arching first choice

It just ended up that way to the bewilderment of Deans, and just not from Barnes, Cooper was guilty as well

Status
Not open for further replies.