• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 SA Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That's a real inidictment of the depth in the Western Cape that they have to draft a Canadian from the UK straight onto their bench. Is there no useful loose forward anywhere in SA? Surely there mustr be someone else?

Anyway happy to see De Villiers back.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
That's a real inidictment of the depth in the Western Cape that they have to draft a Canadian from the UK straight onto their bench. Is there no useful loose forward anywhere in SA? Surely there mustr be someone else?

Anyway happy to see De Villiers back.

In the last season or so the Stormers have lost Francois Louw, Pieter Louw, Schalk, Vermuelen and now Koster in the loose forwards. I think Coetzee said the reason he brought in Sinclair was that he was after some experience to go with his already young squad. Their loose forwards in particular are looking very thin on experience.

What other loose forward in South Africa could provide the necessary experience and is not already contracted to one of the other Super Rugby teams? Luke Watson? I think we all know the reason why they wouldn't go there...

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
That's a real inidictment of the depth in the Western Cape that they have to draft a Canadian from the UK straight onto their bench. Is there no useful loose forward anywhere in SA? quote]

to me it says that the stormers are out of contracted options and that a full time professional in one of europe's top leagues who also has world cup experience is a better short term player than what is probably a 6th string domestic option who has no professional rugby experience.

plus he is at professional rugby fitness standards. before getting thumb surgery he was starting every game for the irish and playing quite well.

don't be anti-canadian! (joking)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ja , spot on. Cant understand Coetzee's thinking on this one.
1. He is Jake White like regarding fetcher flankers. Carr the only one close to this type while we have Ruaan Kitshoff playing himself out of his skin in the Voddas for WP.
2. Now he is forcing Kitshoff to the NH with this stupid selection.
DieBurger
Kitshoff ruil Kaap vir Frankryk
2012-05-09 00:00
KAAPSTAD. – As die Westelike Provinsie dit regkry om vanjaar sy heel eerste Vodacombeker-titel te wen, sal ’n groot deel van daardie poging aan Rohan Kitshoff toegeskryf kan word.

Dié wildewragtig van ’n baljagter het die Kapenaars die afgelope twee jaar met hart en siel gedien. Maar hy’s eersdaags op pad Frankryk toe om sy loopbaan by die Top14-klub Bordeaux-Bègles voort te sit.

“Ons verloor ’n ongelooflike mens en ’n klipharde, skitterende professionele sportmens,” het John Dobson, afrigter van die Streeptruie, aan Sport24 gesê.

Die ironie is dat Kitshoff die afgelope twee jaar as ’n amateur sy brood en botter verdien het, aangesien hy nooit by die Westelike Provinsie gekontrakteer is nie.

“Rohan het einde 2010 by die Stormers se voorseisoense oefengroep ingeval. Jonathan Kaplan (skeidsregter) het eendag met ’n paar goed kom help en gesê Kitsie was volgens hom die heel beste baljagter in die Curriebeker-reeks van 2010 (hy’t daardie jaar vir Griekwas gespeel),” aldus Dobson.

Kitshoff het nie die Stormers se finale groep gehaal nie, maar wel verlede jaar ’n reuse-impak gehad op die Streeptruie se Curriebeker-veldtog voordat hy later vir Namibië in die Wêreldbeker-toernooi gespeel het.

Hy was veral indrukwekkend in die WP se sege van 35-7 op Nuweland teen die Blou Bulle. Sy direkte teenstanders daardie dag was Derick Kuün, Gerrit-Jan van Velze en Dewald Potgieter.

Toe hy weg is, het sake grondlangs vir die Westelike Provinsie begin skeefloop. Kitshoff is deur die Ikey-kaptein, Nic Fenton-Wells, vervang.

Hoewel laasgenoemde se ywer nie in twyfel getrek kon word nie, was hy nie doeltreffend by die afbreekpunte nie. Die WP het in die middel van die seisoen in vier wedstryde meer as 100 keer besit afgestaan – iets wat ’n grondspesialis soos Kitshoff sou kon voorkom.

“Hy het sover die tweede meeste drieë (6) in die Vodacombeker gedruk en was ’n paar keer ons Speler van die Wedstryd,” vertel Dobson.

“Maar hy trou een van die dae en ’n mens kan nie rekeninge betaal en ’n toekoms beplan as jy as ’n amateur moet speel nie.

“Ek is nie seker of Bordeaux besef hoe raak hulle met hom vat nie – as hulle na die opnames van sy laaste drie wedstryde gaan kyk, sal hulle besef hoe gelukkig hulle is. Hy’s briljant,” meen Dobson.

- Die Burger

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It's like a chicken highway from the Cape eh Paarl?

They should all have been happy to play lower grade rugby and get paid shit and not go overseas. That would make you happy right?

Cluck cluck.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Nizaam Carr gone for the season so that's three number eights out for the Stormers. Bummer. Good player with a bright future.

So they will now probably start their Canadian import but he can't play the finals. Big problem. Paarl, when's Schalk back? Fark you need him.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Nizaam Carr gone for the season so that's three number eights out for the Stormers. Bummer. Good player with a bright future.

So they will now probably start their Canadian import but he can't play the finals. Big problem. Paarl, when's Schalk back? Fark you need him.
Schalk, Koster and Vermeulen (probably) will be back after the June internationals.

Stormers struggled against the Cheetahs. Good to see the old Gimmies, Johnson and Daniller and Bolander Willie le Roux having a great game for them. Now if Naka can only realise that Willie is an attacking 10. Cheetahs sure as hell the surprise packet in the SA conferense and the Sharks will visit Osfontein this weekend. Wont be easy.

Blue : Good news for you, the Brutes poached another gem from Paarl Gim, Handre Pollard will be marching to Pretoria next year. How WeePee let this slip is unbelievable, they had him on contract last year and Slaptjips poached him right under their eyes.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I am starting to worry that the Stormers lack of bonus points will cost them a home final and possible a home semi in which case they won't win it.

They have not scored a four try bonus point in nine games. With the calibre of players they have in the backline this must point to an attack coaching problem.

So what you guys seem to need os a btter attack coach and a better talent scout :)

We stole one of your darlings in Slaptjips and he is coaching our backline pretty well considering we have scored the most tries this year. :cool:

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I am starting to worry that the Stormers lack of bonus points will cost them a home final and possible a home semi in which case they won't win it.

They have not scored a four try bonus point in nine games. With the calibre of players they have in the backline this must point to an attack coaching problem.

So what you guys seem to need os a btter attack coach and a better talent scout :)

We stole one of your darlings in Slaptjips and he is coaching our backline pretty well considering we have scored the most tries this year. :cool:

You would have to think the Stormers' focus on defence has a lot to do with this. Surely it would be very hard/impossible to have the best defence and the best attack in the competition? Do you think therefore if they shifted their focus slightly from defense to attack this could have a negative impact on their defence? Hard to know until it happens I guess.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
You would have to think the Stormers' focus on defence has a lot to do with this. Surely it would be very hard/impossible to have the best defence and the best attack in the competition? Do you think therefore if they shifted their focus slightly from defense to attack this could have a negative impact on their defence? Hard to know until it happens I guess.
Who knows but I still think it must be a coaching issue.

The problem for the Stormers is say they have to play a semi of final away from home against a red hot Chiefs team. They might keep the tries against them down but won't have enough points in them.

Of they aren't going to get the bonus points they cannot afford to drop any games. I hop this Sinclair Canuck fella can deliver for them. Should try get someone like Diack or Wannenburg for a couple of the games. Which other loosies are running around up North? Most are tied up as the Northern comps go into their finals. Ernst Joubert? I think Saracens season is over not?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Are you a Stormers fan right?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Who knows but I still think it must be a coaching issue.

The problem for the Stormers is say they have to play a semi of final away from home against a red hot Chiefs team. They might keep the tries against them down but won't have enough points in them.

Of they aren't going to get the bonus points they cannot afford to drop any games. I hop this Sinclair Canuck fella can deliver for them. Should try get someone like Diack or Wannenburg for a couple of the games. Which other loosies are running around up North? Most are tied up as the Northern comps go into their finals. Ernst Joubert? I think Saracens season is over not?

Agree, Robbie Fleck hasn't done much there over the years to convince me that he is the right man for the job. Particularly when you consider the players that he has had at his disposal. Any tries in the backline are more often than not the result of an individual piece of brilliance rather than a good attacking structure. I have often wondered whether this is solely because of the focus on defence or whether it is partly due to the lack of good coaching in this area.

Yeah I don't think it will be an easy task enticing another NH based loosie over at this time of year. Perhaps they just need to hope that Sinclair can do the job in the interim with one of the Vodacom Cup loosies on the bench and hope for no further injuries.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Are you a Stormers fan right?
No, I am a Lions fan - the less that is written about them though, the better! I am resigned to the fact that they will not be in Super Rugby in 2013, and quite frankly, they do not deserve to be after the way they have performed this year! If you could ignore the logistical issues, the re-entry of the Cats franchise with the correct coaching staff could be quite promising. Who knows what will happen though.

I must admit that I do enjoy watching the Stormers play. Some of the young players they have brought through this year should hold SA Rugby in good stead in the years to come. In saying that, I have also enjoyed watching the Bulls play this year. I was certainly among those who thought they would struggle to finish in the top half of the table at the beginning of the season! People have quickly forgotten the amount of experience they lost at the end of last year and that is a credit to the players that have stepped in!

It has been amusing at times this year to hear people refer to how "well their young/inexperienced players have performed against the Bulls" as if the current Bulls are a vastly experienced team who have enjoyed much success.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look like Don Armandt will cover on the bench.
Burger
5455656523484082a99b37a1e24a887d.jpg

Die Kanadees Jebb Sinclair (links) het gister maar die derde keer saam met die Stormers geoefen, maar sal Saterdag teen die Waratahs die Kapenaars se nr. 8-trui dra. Hy het die Stormers-breier, Allister Coetzee, beïndruk met sy spel teen die Cheetahs. Don Armand (regs) behoort die losvoorspeler-plaasvervanger te wees.

WeePee plays on friday in the Vodacup final in Kimberley against Griekwas and obvious they wont use the captain Fenton-Wells. There is some usefull players in that Vodacom side but they still have this one match to go.

Die Burger
Coetzee het gister gesê dat Schalk Burger en Nick Koster albei ná aanstaande maand se toetsreeks tussen Suid-Afrika en Engeland reg sal wees om te speel.

Hy verwag ook dat Duane Vermeulen fiks sal wees vir die ligawedstryd teen die Cheetahs in Bloemfontein op 7 Julie.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Paarl: I read somewhere that Coetzee is not considering Fenton Wells because of lack of lineout skills? Is he short? How about Don Armandt? I can't seem to find physical stats on these two guys.

Jebb Sinclair:

Looks like he can play a bit?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarl: I read somewhere that Coetzee is not considering Fenton Wells because of lack of lineout skills? Is he short? How about Don Armandt? I can't seem to find physical stats on these two guys.
Fenton Wells is a short player and a 6 type, Armandt is a SA 7 type.

I watched this weekend WP vs Puma semi and was impressed with Greg Holmes playing from the bench. A tough type of Vishoek soutie. He donner a parent when he played schoolboy rugby after some remarks from the sideline. We still have the Matie dio Lehmann and Mabombo. WeePee must be kicking themself letting Grant Hattingh, Matie nr8 slipped to the Lions. He is on tour now with them and would have been the perfect backup nr8. There are more then enough youngsters if they want to dig deep.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Armand
DETAILS

FULL NAME Donovan Wade
SURNAME Armand
HEIGHT 191 cm
WEIGHT 112 Kg
BIRTH DATE 23 September 1988
BIRTH PLACE Harare, Zimbabwe
MARITIAL STATUS Single
FAVOURITE FILM Land of the Lost
FAVOURITE MUSIC Mumford & Sons
FAVOURITE FOOD Olives; Chilli Biltong
PRIMARY SCHOOL Highlands
SECONDARY SCHOOL Maritzburg College
TERTIARY EDUCATION UCT

PLAYER WRITE-UP​

Player Position: Lock
Club: UCT Squads UCT (FNB Varsity Cup) - 2012 UCT (FNB Varsity Cup) - 2011 UCT (FNB Varsity Cup) - 2010 UCT (FNB Varsity Cup) - 2009 UCT (FNB Varsity Cup) - 2008 Natal CD (U18 Academy Week) - 2006
Fenton-Wells
PERSONAL DETAILS​

FULL NAME Nicholas Sean
SURNAME Fenton-Wells
HEIGHT 186 cm
WEIGHT 102 Kg
BIRTH DATE 11 August 1986
BIRTH PLACE Cape Town
MARITIAL STATUS Single
FAVOURITE FILM Due Date; Inception
FAVOURITE MUSIC Punk Rock
FAVOURITE FOOD Spaghetti Bolognaise
PRIMARY SCHOOL WPPS
SECONDARY SCHOOL Diocesan College (Bishops)
TERTIARY EDUCATION UNISA, UCT

PLAYER WRITE-UP​

Playing Position:Flank
Club:UCT Squads UCT (FNB Varsity Cup) - 2011 UCT (FNB Varsity Cup) - 2010 UCT (FNB Varsity Cup) - 2009

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look like Ernst Joubert is bacjk where he started his schoolboy rugby career.
Sport24
Stormers send SOS to Joubert

2012-05-16 09:31

Cape Town - Saracens No 8 Ernst Joubert could be on his way to Cape Town to help alleviate the Stormers' loose forward injury crisis.

According to a reliable source, the former Lions No 8, who has plied his trade at Saracens since 2009, could join the Stormers' training sessions as early as Wednesday.

Stormers coach Allister Coetzee confirmed on Monday that he'd made a number of overseas phone calls to find out who was available.

"At the moment we are okay, but what will happen if we lose yet another loose forward?

"Anything in possible.

“Schalk Burger, Duane Vermeulen and Nick Koster will only be back from injury in July, but in the interim we need to make a plan for our next three Super Rugby matches against the Waratahs, Sharks and Bulls."

Last week the Cape franchise surprised all and sundry by calling up unheralded Canadian loose forward Jebb Sinclair.

Sinclair was named on the substitutes' bench for last Saturday's match against the Cheetahs at Newlands, and following a serious knee injury to No 8 Nizaam Carr as early as the 22nd minute, Sinclair was summoned into action.

Coetzee has called upon Western Province Vodacom Cup flank Don Armand, who is expected to form part of the matchday 22-man squad to face the Waratahs at Newlands on Saturday. Kick-off is 19:10.

Ceres-born Joubert, 31, has played 86 matches in total for Saracens, including 14 this season in which he has scored eight tries. Prior to his departure for England, he skippered the Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.