• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Super Rugby - crowds & TV viewer numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Wouldn't that have to do with timezones? You can't really call CC rugby better quality than Super rugby.
I dont say the quality is better but I do understand the history and culture of CC rugby. Its the oldest provincial competition in rugby and its about our culture more then anything. Your real Kiwi rugby supporter will tell you the same thing. They'll rather support their province then their S15 franchise. We grew up with our provincial rivalry in all sports and age groups. Bulls vs WP u7 rugby will just as tough as the senior rugby team. Pretty sure your New South Wales and Queensland supporters will agree with me. Its only the modern lot that dont know the differense between New South wales and Waratahs.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Eh. What are you wanting to achieve in the next round of negotiating?
Wish I knew the way Saru heads work, if I would be in their position I'd chuck the S15 competition and play CC and inbound tests all year. CC is better supported in SA and Saru can make a much better deal dealing directly with MNet. Cut out the middle man, who is riding on your back.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Wouldn't that have to do with timezones? You can't really call CC rugby better quality than Super rugby.
Probably not influenced by the quality of the rugby at all. More to do with the history of the Currie Cup I'd say and the fact that most fans feel a closer association to their Currie Cup team who they have followed for decades, as opposed to their Super Rugby team which in most cases is a regional team which comprises two or three different Currie Cup teams.

Edit - PB beat me to it.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Wish I knew the way Saru heads work, if I would be in their position I'd chuck the S15 competition and play CC and inbound tests all year. CC is better supported in SA and Saru can make a much better deal dealing directly with MNet. Cut out the middle man, who is riding on your back.

I don't think the CC is better supported then Super Rugby is these days. It certainly was the case in the 90s. I do however find the CC better to watch then the ITM cup, but this might be because their are more day games. The cold and wet does have a huge effect on games.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok I shouldn't have mentioned quality but is it no surprise that there's more viewers for CC since every game is at a suitable time whereas Super rugby 66% of the games aren't at suitable times?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think the CC is better supported then Super Rugby is these days. It certainly was the case in the 90s. I do however find the CC better to watch then the ITM cup, but this might be because their are more day games. The cold and wet does have a huge effect on games.
Dont really think so. The viewer just want some entertainment and watch his team play, no matter the weather. The most viewers in SA is Afrikaans and we have this habit of walking line supporting the kids in the morning and watching rugby on TV and have a braai at the evening. Sundays we go to church. SS know this.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also you've got two home teams worth of viewers for every CC game and 6 CC teams vs 5 in Super Rugby.

On an average week you'd have two games in South Africa in Super Rugby (when you're factoring in byes) and in CC you've got three.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ok I shouldn't have mentioned quality but is it no surprise that there's more viewers for CC since every game is at a suitable time whereas Super rugby 66% of the games aren't at suitable times?
Dont agree. Our suitable time is friday nights and saturdays. Its only the early friday matches that dont suit us.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sundays we go to church. SS know this.

I always find it interesting how the majority of Saffer rugby player seem very religious, always thanking god in their post-match interviews. Cringe worthy almost. Is faith a big thing in the rugby community over there?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Also you've got two home teams worth of viewers for every CC game and 6 CC teams vs 5 in Super Rugby.

On an average week you'd have two games in South Africa in Super Rugby (when you're factoring in byes) and in CC you've got three.
Figures is average per match.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I always find it interesting how the majority of Saffer rugby player seem very religious, always thanking god in their post-match interviews. Cringe worthy almost. Is faith a big thing in the rugby community over there?
I'd suggest we stay on rugby topics and bypass the religion ones. Do this worry you or are you trying to troll here?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Just having a flick through the stats provided, I notice that the key stat that is used to support the contention that the CC is more popular than Super Rugby is the average TV audience.

Average TV audience for CC = 466,388
Average TV audience for Super Rugby = 361,658

I don't find this stat at all surprising. I can't imagine there would be much interest at all in NZ or AUS derby games or games between NZ and AUS franchises. I expect that the bad figures for these overseas games would bring down the averages significantly.

What I think would be more relevant will be the average TV audience for Super games involving SA teams and comparing them with the Currie Cup stats. I also note that the (admittedly very little) I have seen of the CC this year has been played in front of very low crowds, whereas the Super games in SA had massive crowds.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What I think would be more relevant will be the average TV audience for Super games involving SA teams and comparing them with the Currie Cup stats. I also note that the (admittedly very little) I have seen of the CC this year has been played in front of very low crowds, whereas the Super games in SA had massive crowds.
Crowds are a big worry, but then I think we have to much rugby. Supporters obvious also want to see their stars playing. Bet you once the Boks come back we'll get top crowds. At the moment the Sharks surpringly have the big crowds while Newlands rule S15 rugby attendances.

From a broadcasters point of viewing they measure the total product, thats what they pay for. MNet show most ITM matches live, do you get CC in NZ?

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
From a broadcasters point of viewing they measure the total product, thats what they pay for. MNet show most ITM matches live, do you get CC in NZ?

Yeah, but I don't have the channel that shows most of it. I see that every game is on the rugby channel which we don't have unfortunately. There is a highlights show once a week, which I sometimes get to see and I watch all the clips from the SAReferees site, which is basically the extent of my Currie Cup intake. I just noticed that there was a lot of empty seats in all the clips I had seen.

I take your point that a broadcaster is most interested in the total numbers, but then in taking games from AUS/NZ they don't have to pay for any of the production costs, which by the time you account for cameras and production staff would be significant.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, but I don't have the channel that shows most of it. I see that every game is on the rugby channel which we don't have unfortunately. There is a highlights show once a week, which I sometimes get to see and I watch all the clips from the SAReferees site, which is basically the extent of my Currie Cup intake. I just noticed that there was a lot of empty seats in all the clips I had seen.

I take your point that a broadcaster is most interested in the total numbers, but then in taking games from AUS/NZ they don't have to pay for any of the production costs, which by the time you account for cameras and production staff would be significant.
You'be surprise to see the amount of SA viewers watching NZ derbies. We got a huge amount of All Black supporters here and that more or less sums up the situation. Its a rugby culture thing and SA have a huge one.

Status
Not open for further replies.