• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
imagine:
rogers
katich/watson
ponting
cosgrove/hughes
clarke
smith/faulkner
haddin
agar/lyon
siddle
starc
harris/pattinson

that could win the ashes.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It really is a disgrace, our batting. I've not seen a more mediocre top six since the nadir of the mid 1980's. These guys, Clarke excepted, simply do not know how to dig in and fight for every run. There are serious technique problems with a few of them, Watson especially, but what they really suffer from is a total lack of application. It's an utter travesty how bad these blokes are for the salaries they are on.

The problem is though, where are the young blokes coming through who might have some ticker? The batting well appears to be dry at the minute.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
It really is a disgrace, our batting. I've not seen a more mediocre top six since the nadir of the mid 1980's. These guys, Clarke excepted, simply do not know how to dig in and fight for every run. There are serious technique problems with a few of them, Watson especially, but what they really suffer from is a total lack of application. It's an utter travesty how bad these blokes are for the salaries they are on.

The problem is though, where are the young blokes coming through who might have some ticker? The batting well appears to be dry at the minute.

Liked your post but wanted to say that's absolutely spot on. Living overseas I don't get to see any Shield games, but surely there are some grafters there who actually value their wickets more than this bunch of clowns.

Other than Clarke the top 6 don't have the technique to be any more than grade players. I've seen better shot selection in schoolboy 1st XI games.

Watson has to go. Khawaja can't stay, he can't play spinners to save his life. And we need another captain, some grumpy bastard similar to AB to administer bollockings when needed instead of Clarke's metrosexual pats on the arse.

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 2

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It is just SO disappointing to see Australian batsmen capitulate like they did tonight. I can't say anymore, I'm going to bed.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Warner failed twice for Aus A so would not send a great message if he is bought straight in. Others on the tour are a bit green. Don't think we can back to those past with Huss and Ponting. Who else is there?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
It is just SO disappointing to see Australian batsmen capitulate like they did tonight. I can't say anymore, I'm going to bed.

Meanwhile Tasmanian Richie Porte is doing a sterling demonstration of being a selfless team player for Team Sky over on SBS channel coverage of the Tour de France.

When our Rugby team is not performing to public expectation, the interstate venom comes out on these threads. When our Cricket team is not performing, somehow we can remain relatively objective in our commentary with little or no cross border sniping.

Is it because all states have relatively even teams in Cricket with the game being played competitively nationwide, rather than two Eastern State Capitals dominating everything as in Heavens game?

The Soap Dodgers will have this series without breaking into a sweat. We had our chance in Ashes I at Trent Bridge and blew it. The Soapies will be too good at home, and won't be caught unawares again like we managed to do at Nottingham.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
There have been plenty of people not happy about the number of NSW players in the Aus cricket team. Would probably hear about it if you went to a dedicated cricket forum.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Its the morning after and its even worse than the night before. Bloody hell, where to start?

When was the last time an Aus batsmen (batting anywhere in the order) got out to a rank full toss from a SPINNER! (other than being caught in the outfield) This by itself would make it an embarrassing day for Aus cricket, but when you put it into context of what happened before and after all on a relatively tame pitch, I am not sure we have had many worse days. The senior players are no better than the newer recruits. Swan bowls one good ball all day and ends up with a Pfeiffer

Its not technical ability for most of them, its the muscle between the ears that needs urgent work.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh and on Watson, I reckon he is about 1 for 50 lifetime on his referrals. He should never be allowed to refer again or even ask his batting partner if he should refer. If the finger goes up, he should walk no eye contact with anyone, and if there is a shocker than his partner should be given instructions to get in his way to insist on a referral.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I am probably a long way off course, but I think the biggest problem with the Aust batting lineup atm is that there are too many openers or wannabe openers; Watson, Rogers, Khawaja, Hughes, Warner (when he was there), Cowan (before he was dropped). It seems to me to be that with the plethora of one day games, 20/20 and big bash, only the openers get a consistent opportunity to score some runs. Batting down the order in those games means flailing the bat to score a few quick runs. No opportunity for those players to dig in and build good innings. This becomes a double edged sword - the openers look better and the down the order players get few real opportunities to show their worth.

The solution to me is that test selections should be made solely on the basis of Sheffield Shield form. All one day, 20/20 and big bash form to be ignored. Pick two openers only, and then fill the rest of the batting order with the best shield performers in their respective positions. I can't suggest who might be there in place of some of the current non-performers, but I'm sure there would be 2 or 3 changes at least.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I reckon recognised hard-nuts, like Border and S Waugh, would be horrified at the lack of application, so too guys like Hayden and Langer who had to fight to get back into Test teams. Soft as shit effort from many batsmen.
It's like some of them have ADHD when it comes to focussing on the job at hand.
Lehmann needs to go Cheika on their asses!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
John Buchanan left his post over at NZ cricket yesterday for 'personal' reasons.

Can anyone tell me who our batting coach is? last time I checked it was Justin Langer but surely he wouldn't be doing this badly.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
John Buchanan left his post over at NZ cricket yesterday for 'personal' reasons.

Can anyone tell me who our batting coach is? last time I checked it was Justin Langer but surely he wouldn't be doing this badly.

Langer coaches WA now. Pretty sure it is either Stuart Law or Michael Di Venuto.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Am too young to remember the Border days, how does this compare? Jimmy Maher was on the ABC earlier comparing the two but purely from a rebuilding phase. He made good points about players like Hayden having to score 1000+ runs in several consecutive seasons to be a chance of making the test team. Several players who barely saw a test in that era would be much welcomed at the moment.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Am too young to remember the Border days, how does this compare? Jimmy Maher was on the ABC earlier comparing the two but purely from a rebuilding phase. He made good points about players like Hayden having to score 1000+ runs in several consecutive seasons to be a chance of making the test team. Several players who barely saw a test in that era would be much welcomed at the moment.

It's comparable. We had a lot of very mediocre players during that time, but then a group of young guys came through and set us up for our long period of dominance (Taylor, Waugh, Marsh, Boon et al). The big thing that changed was the creation of the cricket academy and the appointment of Bob Simpson as coach. Simmo really stressed the fundamentals of the game and along with AB really hardened those blokes up. I'm hoping Boof can do the same.

The difference between then and now is the standard of Shield cricket. Back then there were guys making piles of runs and putting pressure on the selectors, whereas now you play a couple of T20 games and all of a sudden you're apparently good enough. Technique and concentration levels have suffered as a result for mine.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
And Alan Border gave strong leadership. I can't see that now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
This hurts, especially cause its hard to argue.

“This may well be the most consistently incompetent sequence of events in the history of Test cricket, in that not a single action was performed efficiently. The ball was atrocious, the shot worse, the appeal was unwarranted, the decision erroneous and refusing to review was a mistake.

“This was Bizarro cricket. Then again, little of what Australia did yesterday made much sense.”

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...on/story-e6frf3gl-1226682358395#ixzz2ZYjvGrhf

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)

This is it. Michael Di Venuto, Darren Lehmann, Jimmy Maher, Stuart Law, Martin Love, Mark Cosgrove, Brad Hodge, Matthew Elliott, Greg Blewett, Simon Katich, Marcus North, David Hussey.

Any of these blokes would walk into today's side based on shield runs. Amazing none would feature in our best 11.

Don't even get me started on bowlers: Andy Bichel, Michael Kasprowitz, Stuart MacGill, Ashley Noffke, Joe Dawes, Stuart Clark, Stuart Magoffin, Nathan Bracken.

Status
Not open for further replies.