• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This is it. Michael Di Venuto, Darren Lehmann, Jimmy Maher, Stuart Law, Martin Love, Mark Cosgrove, Brad Hodge, Matthew Elliott, Greg Blewett, Simon Katich, Marcus North, David Hussey.

Any of these blokes would walk into today's side based on shield runs. Amazing none would feature in our best 11.

Don't even get me started on bowlers: Andy Bichel, Michael Kasprowitz, Stuart MacGill, Ashley Noffke, Joe Dawes, Stuart Clark, Stuart Magoffin, Nathan Bracken.

Jamie Siddons was the unluckiest of all. Super batsman, never got a shot at it.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I blame 20-20 & as mentioned earlier the lowered standard of Shield Cricket. The comment below is from someone who posted at the end of an ashes article - sums up my feelings to date.

"It was only a matter of time before the 20-20 hit and giggle eroded our ability to play actual cricket. It's thoughtless slogging in all forms of the game now. Lehmann was quoted as saying 'it was more one-day batting that Test match batting', but I think 128 would result in a loss in an ODI too. It's a 20-20 score, and an average one at that. How many Poms play in the IPL each year? Not many."

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
And Alan Border gave strong leadership. I can't see that now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The opposition was also much better, the Windies at their best. But Border not only provided leadership he rarely failed with the bat.

I blame the tail for the failure in this match. Where is the 180 the last four wickets normally provide! We need more reliable tailenders.:
;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
4/140, lead by 373.

Joe Root is showing real class and maturity, been a brilliant and patient knock. Bell at the crease and run rate drops below 2 an over. English batting order is showing us how to win test match cricket, the way we taught them.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wow.

Third umpire fucks it up again.

Credit to the blokes on field, they are doing OK. The bloke up behind the screen is a joke.

Not using excuses but my word Australia have had a tough rub of the green this series so far. Anything even remotely 50/50 has gone against us.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bell should have been out for 3. Steve Smith had his fingers underneath it then the ball bobbed up. Getting screwed over by ourselves, England, & the umpires. Painful viewing.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
England lead by 566:( Will expect a declaration about 10 mins before play tomorrow. If they go much longer than that Aus may just be able to eek out a draw, pitch is still relatively flat.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yikes, nearly 600 to win. That will be a record chase.

All we need is...
Watson 50
Rogers 104
Khawaja 25
Hughes 56
Clarke 166no.
Smith 10
Haddin 30
Agar 22
Siddle 38
Pattinson 5
Harris 10no.

Easy! We win by 1 wicket.

Opening partnership needs minimum 150. Clarke is the only guy I can see scoring big, Rogers and Hughes need to make use of their form.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
My prediction: Watson to reach around 30-40 runs then get an LBW called, he reviews it - still out.

I saw a replay of KP yelling at Watto to review the LBW last time. Good God he must've been dying of laughter after the result of that. Terrible stuff.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I saw a replay of KP yelling at Watto to review the LBW last time. Good God he must've been dying of laughter after the result of that. Terrible stuff.

Hahaha that is the best sledge ever, that sort of thing sticks with a batsman for the rest of their career. Whilstever DRS is around most teams will be using similar ploys on Watson to tempt him to waste reviews.

Chasing 583.. Hold onto your arm chairs folks, we are in for a long two days.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There goes Rogers!

2/32

Can I just add, there looks like a wicket coming every ball. Sort of feels like the Ashes of old except now we are the ones on the receiving end. Australia keeps sending out left-handers to Swann, Hughes now at the crease.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Swan's throwing hand grenades here. This will be all over by tea. Their trying but the poms are just too good

Status
Not open for further replies.