• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Super Rugby Final - CHIEFS v BRUMBIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
FANATIC, check out the Shute Shield Draw on the NSW RU Web site.

Depending who has a home game, you can get both live club footy and then across the road, or go next door to watch the game in the club.

Eastwood, Randwick, Easts, Southern Districts, Uni, Parramatta all have club houses either next door to or on the club oval.

Others have relatively close access to a Big screen TV.

interstate visitors welcomed?

someone suggested Circular Quay The Rugby Club.
Opinions?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
No club footy in the city.

If you want total immersion, then a Shute shield venue is for you.

If you like schoolboy footy, the AAGPS is in full swing and there will be some cracker games on this weekend, but no alcohol during games, and you are a long way away from a big Screen for the Ponies game.

Drop Misses Fanatic off at Birkenhead Point for some shopping, and there may be Balmain or Drummoyne dirty Reds subbies footy going on close to.

Where are you staying?

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
I think the Chiefs and Saders tore holes in each other on Saturday. I also think the Brumbies recoup time is easier for a young squad. Their bodies heal faster. I can see the Brumbies hang'n in there and doing the Chiefs on Saturday. Brumbies by 5.

Youth never stops believing I think these Brumbies lads will do the Chiefs slowly.. ouch..

Brumbies won on the weekend because they are the fittest team in the comp… Never give up, believe in each other. So even with 90 secs to go they can still have the speed to break the line and support each other.

A lot of this sounds like wishful thinking, but am willing to be proven wrong.
With the length you have to travel, your lads bodies will be copping a beating anyway.
I feel the Chiefs will dictate the game due to the fact the Brumbie's natural style of play will more than likely be compromised.

The Chips are stacked in the Chiefs corner, I'm just praying the cards fall our way.

Before the week heats up a bit more i'd just like to wish Brumbies fans the best of luck for Saturday.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Doesn't our current Wallabies coach count?
In all honesty, IIRC the original Brumbies squads had a preponderance of Wicks boys, and when you factor in Gregan and Campese there is a long association between Coogee Oval and the ACT.

As well as Ewen, the Victorian born Bronte Resident Former Queensland Coach, there are probably another 10 or so Wicks who have been Ponies that I could have listed but didn't due to research laziness on my behalf. Additionally Wicks Legend Poido is a Goulburn boy (from somewhere around Collector). While he never played for them, he grew up relatively close to Ponies HQ.

If I was at a loose end and looking for some place to watch the footy on Saturday, I'd choose Coogee Oval (Wicks v Norths) and the Wicks Brook Street Bunker as the place to be.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
With the length you have to travel, your lads bodies will be copping a beating anyway.
I feel the Chiefs will dictate the game due to the fact the Brumbie's natural style of play will more than likely be compromised.

The Chips are stacked in the Chiefs corner, I'm just praying the cards fall our way.

Before the week heats up a bit more i'd just like to wish Brumbies fans the best of luck for Saturday.

Thanks Chiefton that was a fair call and generous spirit too... I'm expecting a cracker of a match, 2 teams with solid forwards and exciting backs...

Brumbies just aren’t intimidated by playing away… I think they actually feed on it now…

In many ways it’s the Chiefs match to loose... They’re the incumbent champs and have earned the right to defend their title again…

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

In many ways it’s the Chiefs match to lose. They’re the incumbent champs and have earned the right to defend their title again…

Chiefs are deservedly favourites, but they also aren't a team that underestimates opposition. Likewise, the Brumbies aren't a team that worries about anything.

Joubert being the Ref favours the Brumbies, especially considering their defensive work rate and the genius of Smith around the breakdown. Vinny Munro is a TMO that likes letting flat passes go but also wants to see clear grounding - Chiefs benefit from the former and lose out with the latter.
Neither Pollock nor Williamson tend to get involved in games outside of raising the touch flag for out or goal.
Brumbies will be beaten up by travel, Chiefs were beat up by countrymen. Both teams will recover pretty well, being young and fit. The Brumbies extra youth and fitness may help them here, and has George Smith ever NOT been ready to play?

Best of luck to you too Chiefton - The Chiefs have been the best team all year and I'm looking forward to a close game.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
The Brumbies victory at Loftus was only the seventh time in 59 play-offs a team could win any knock-out encounter on foreign soil.

It happened once in 17 Finals when the Crusaders beat the Brumbies in 2000 and six times in 36 semi-finals (The Sharks beat Reds in 1996, Crusaders beat Reds in 1999, Highlanders beat Stormers in 1999, Crusaders beat Stormers in 2011 and Brumbies beat Bulls in 2013) and once in six qualifiers (The Sharks beat Reds in 2012).

Another interesting stat is that the Brumbies beat the Bulls at Loftus three times before this win. On two occasions they went to play in the final and lost both those games.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Brumbies victory at Loftus was only the seventh time in 59 play-offs a team could win any knock-out encounter on foreign soil.

It happened once in 17 Finals when the Crusaders beat the Brumbies in 2000 and six times in 36 semi-finals (The Sharks beat Reds in 1996, Crusaders beat Reds in 1999, Highlanders beat Stormers in 1999, Crusaders beat Stormers in 2011 and Brumbies beat Bulls in 2013) and once in six qualifiers (The Sharks beat Reds in 2012).

Interesting stats there, no team seams to have done it twice yet.
Another interesting stat is that the Brumbies beat the Bulls at Loftus three times before this win. On two occasions they went to play in the final and lost both those games.

97 and 2000? Booo!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting stats there, no team seams to have done it twice yet.

97 and 2000? Booo!
Considering the only team to have done it once was a team flying across a ditch and not across 10 time zones!
97 they were Nothern Transvaal. That was a provincial team pitted against a full franchise with the countries top players. SA had no chance!

2000 and 2002 Boo back at ya

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
Nigel Yalden@NigelYalden
19m

-@ChiefsRugby injury update:Clarke (neck) Latimer (calf) Aki (leg) & Masaga (ankle) didnt train today.Coach Rennie rates Masaga 50/50 2 play

Latimer was doubtful pre game last week, but bugger all will keep him out this week with the challenge of the Brumbie's looseys looming.

Clarke will not be kept out as this will be his final game of southern hemisphere rugby

Not sure on Masaga, but it's also only Tuesday and it's also his final match so you would expect him to start or at the very least have 20-30 off the bench.

The fact so many of our players will be moving on will be fuel for victory I feel. Double edged sword of sending off our own as winners and getting another title under the belt with other NZ sides forming classy rosters and aiming to set NZ's domestic benchmark.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I've heard Dean Benton is leaving the Brumbies next year, any idea why and where to?

His program is one of the main factors the Brumbies have made it so far. They've barely had any injuries, Pocock aside.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I've heard Dean Benton is leaving the Brumbies next year, any idea why and where to?

His program is one of the main factors the Brumbies have made it so far. They've barely had any injuries, Pocock aside.

Your answer could be in the Brumbies 2014 thread

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
I just see a mention that he is leaving, nothing as to why or where unless I missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.