• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
THe final is going to be a fucking cracker. Hope the weather holds out (along with the stream! :))

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Great work by the Aus 20s in their win against Samoa. Samoa took on NZ and South Africa and gave them a good nudge.. Aus 20's had a solid game and won convincingly. Well done lads. Next game v France. You can do it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sundays games:

Playoff 9-12
Arg 38 - 12 Fiji
Ita 18 - 21 Sco

Playoff 5-8
Aus 53 - 16 Sam
Wal 18 - 19 Fra

Cup Semis
Eng 42 - 15 Ire
SAf 32 - 25 NZl 25

Fridays Games (20 June)
11th Playoff: Fiji v Italy @ 12:35 (NZ time)
9th Playoff: Argentina v Scotland @ 15:05 (NZ time)
7th Playoff: Wales v Samoa @ 17:35 (NZ time)
5th Playoff: France v Australia @ 14:35 (NZ time)
3rd Playoff: Ireland v New Zealand @17:05 (NZ time)
Final: England v South Africa @ 19:35 (NZ time)

Barry Johns

Frank Row (1)
Sundays games:

Playoff 9-12
Arg 38 - 12 Fiji
Ita 18 - 21 Sco

Playoff 5-8
Aus 53 - 16 Sam
Wal 18 - 19 Fra

Cup Semis
Eng 42 - 15 Ire
SAf 32 - 25 NZl 25

Fridays Games (20 June)
11th Playoff: Fiji v Italy @ 12:35 (NZ time)
9th Playoff: Argentina v Scotland @ 15:05 (NZ time)
7th Playoff: Wales v Samoa @ 17:35 (NZ time)
5th Playoff: France v Australia @ 14:35 (NZ time)
3rd Playoff: Ireland v New Zealand @17:05 (NZ time)
Final: England v South Africa @ 19:35 (NZ time)

Just checked Fox Sports program and couldn't see broadcast of Aussie v France game on Friday. Rang Foxtel to find out and at this stage it's only 1v2 and 3 v4 being telecast.

Hope it gets changed but won't hold my breath.
Would never happen in NZ to the junior All Blacks!
Seems they have more pride in their national sides than we do..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think they'll definitely show it. Remember, this game was only locked in yesterday as involving Australia.

The final and 3rd place games were always going to be shown regardless of who was playing (as per them already being in the guide and having a description which doesn't include who is playing.

I think you're being far too quick to judge! If you'd looked for Australia vs Samoa in the guide 4 days before it was on, you wouldn't have found that either.

Barry Johns

Frank Row (1)
I think they'll definitely show it. Remember, this game was only locked in yesterday as involving Australia.

The final and 3rd place games were always going to be shown regardless of who was playing (as per them already being in the guide and having a description which doesn't include who is playing.

I think you're being far too quick to judge! If you'd looked for Australia vs Samoa in the guide 4 days before it was on, you wouldn't have found that either.

I hope so....

Barry Johns

Frank Row (1)
Aaahh Braveheart81 you were right!
Just heard from Fox Sports, there will be live coverage for the Aussie v France game.
Good stuff.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tevita Li (NZ) one of four nominees for IRB U20 POTY, others being South African captain Handre Pollard, England winger Nathan Earle and Ireland centre Gary Ringrose. Based on what I've seen I'd say Pollard will win it, can't remember the last time I saw a young guy with that much composure & rugby nous.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree Pollard is probably the deserving winner. Personally I thought Sean Mcmahon deserved a nomination at least

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Did anyone see the farcical penalty and yellow card against RSA in their match against NZ?

I couldn't even justify that being a penalty or a warning.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
As the Kiwi commentators suggested, perhaps it wasn't so much for the actual tackle, but the "follow through".........but you are right, there have been far worse incidents let slip through to the keeper..(apologies for the mixed sporting metaphor)
I'm not sure excatly what the Ref saw in the Aus vs Samoa match....but it certainly looked like the Samoan player was using the Aus half back's head / jaw for goal kicking practice. As for the referee's comment that he was happy that "he was going for the ball"......the ball was tucked under his belly a good 2 foot away ( IMHO).....maybe it's time for me to buy some new spectacles....
Even the Kiwi commentators thought it was beyond the pail....and that a red card should have been issued.

Hopefully, all teams will enjoy a good battle on Friday

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tevita Li (NZ) one of four nominees for IRB U20 POTY, others being South African captain Handre Pollard, England winger Nathan Earle and Ireland centre Gary Ringrose. Based on what I've seen I'd say Pollard will win it, can't remember the last time I saw a young guy with that much composure & rugby nous.

I reckon Damien McKenzie was a little unlucky to miss out on getting the nod for the NZ team for POTY. I think he had more all round impact for the Darkness than Li did.

That being said, the Saffer Pollard should win the POTY title comfortably.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The kiwi TV coverage, commentators, camera placement, and production direction has been first class.

Also can't fault FoxTel too much. They have shown most of the main games live with plenty of replays for those without Foxtel IQ.

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
I'm not sure excatly what the Ref saw in the Aus vs Samoa match..but it certainly looked like the Samoan player was using the Aus half back's head / jaw for goal kicking practice. As for the referee's comment that he was happy that "he was going for the ball"..the ball was tucked under his belly a good 2 foot away ( IMHO)...maybe it's time for me to buy some new spectacles..
Even the Kiwi commentators thought it was beyond the pail..and that a red card should have been issued.

Hopefully, all teams will enjoy a good battle on Friday

New
Just like the late hit on the Aus fly half against England, elbow to the head after play and the ref states "I'm happy with that'. No penalty, no card, nothing. Aus player concussed and ruled out for next game. Surprised the English player was not cited. Even the commentators picked it.. Game changing decisions.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The semi could have go either way and hard luck to the Baby Blacks. Bokkies must put this two great victories (always big for us when winning in NZ) behind them and keep humble and working hard for the final. The great thing about our Bokkies is that this lot is only the start of some great awesome youngsters coming though. Myself is sure they will be even better next year and in 2016 you'll see some excellent players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Boet, What have you thought about the performances of the baby Wallabies?

It is always good to have an impartial view of things because we look at this team with gold coloured glasses, especially after the poor performances of the last two years when they showed so much promise but didn't deliver.

This year our team seems to be so much better all round.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
The coverage in Aus has been excellent - the mere fact that they are showing matches live is to be applauded wholeheartedly (IMHO) !

And to "add" the Aus match this Friday - when they didn't have it in their original scheduling ( it would seem) is great too. Maybe people are actually enjoying some of the rugby that is being played !

Where are Marto, Kearnsey & Kafe when we need them !!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Boet, What have you thought about the performances of the baby Wallabies?

It is always good to have an impartial view of things because we look at this team with gold coloured glasses, especially after the poor performances of the last two years when they showed so much promise but didn't deliver.

This year our team seems to be so much better all round.
I have to admit that the match time is in our working hours and I havent watch the Baby Wallabies. Myself still feel the 6 Nations teams have a massive advantage coming from their tournament and playing in the JWC. Sanzar sure can get something going for our teams to prepare better. Argentina helpded our lot preparing and they nearly beat England.

I'd also appreciate if specially Oom Lee can give his thoughts on the Baby Boks. He is the expert in talent spotting.

Myself is fortunate to what I call "lyn loop" (line walking) a lot these days. My laaities is now at Paul Roos and the rugby and hockey boys support each other so well there, its unbelievable. Paul Roos is currently in the SA top 5 in both hockey and rugby which is fantastic. The hockey is on fridays and the rugby on saturdays and my favourate relaxation is lynloop at the schools sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.