• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe, but if he's good at tight head we'd be insane to move him, its regularly our weakest position as a nation and it usually takes a lot of time to develop a player to. That said if he's there because he was always the biggest kid in the team and doesn't have any special aptitude for the position backrow would be the place.

B

Bobby Sands

Apparently he is already quite a technically sound scrummager.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree Wilson - he could have the biggest kid in the team syndrome and not be a prop at all.

Has anybody seen him in a scrum yet in hit-outs etc. The club season has started up there hasn't it - is he playing now - and at what level??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Taniela is playing Premier Grade rugby for the Brothers Club in Brisbane, and doing quite well at it by all accounts.

His elder brother, Criff (apt for them both to be playing for the Brothers Club), has also been a bit of a revelation in the opening rounds, although he is not U20 eligible. Criff has not played a lot of rugby for the last little while as he been working to sustain the family in Tonga, and to put Taniela through school in NZ.

The posters on the QLD Premier Rugby 2015 thread seem to think that he will have a very bright future ahead of him, and that there is plenty of substance behind the youtube hype. They also like the look of big bro.

Example:
I was at the game. Uni was a little under strength but Brothers were still very good.

Thor scrummaged well and his carries were effective despite being heavily marked. We had one glimpse of his power when he rag dolled his opposite number.

His brother was mighty impressive too. Good skills and ran from the scrum base to good effect all day. I suspect he'll feature at NRC this year

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Tupou is playing for Brothers. I think the positive scrummaging progress comments came from the Reds preseason stuff.

Early days yet but a couple of reports here including one from our own Simon Smale:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/friendly-match-brothers-v-christchurch/

https://www.the-newshub.com/rugby-union/taniela-tupou-the-tongan-thor (incl. photo of big bro as well)

In action against UQ:

Sn6Ts8c.jpg

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for that kiap. He's further ahead than I thought.

We had better pencil him in for the Under 20s for next year.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, be great if he was eligible.

Out of interest, I wonder where it's being held next year?

And are we interested in hosting anytime soon?

The event is in its 8th year now (or since 2002 if you include U19/21 making it around 17 tournaments) and has been to most places except Australia.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe, but I don't think you really need too much in the way of stadiums. I reckon that could be overcome.

Most of the games in NZ were staged with a capacity of less than 15,000. Out of the 30-odd matches, many were attracting only small crowds. It's on the level of the NRC or even club matches.

Taking SEQ as an example, somewhere like Ballymore is not used a lot and a venue of ~ 24,000 would be suitable even for finals.

Add in places like Sunshine Coast Stadium (~15k) or university grounds (Bond Uni. etc.) and you could host a tournament.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
There not normally huge stadia for most of the games are they? I think NZ used a ~15000, a ~20000 and a larger for the finals/bigger matches. We've got ballymore available, there are a few mid size 'suburban' grounds that don't see as much use from the nrl these days and we could theoretically go to hindmarsh in Adelaide given it's after the soccer. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to sort out.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This year in Italy they are using grounds of 6,000, 7,500 (and 20,600 for the finals).

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Any word on release of an official NSW squad list? I heard there would be some sort of formal listing or announcement on Monday. . . . . ?!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Any word on release of an official NSW squad list?
I heard that it was going to be announced also, but there is nothing in the Tahs - News area.

But I think my earlier list will prove to be right with one change:

And now we know the NSW U20s team:

The NSW Under 20s team that played today was:

1. Cameron Orr
2. Folau Fainga'a
3. Matt Sandell
4. Harrison Williams
5. Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui
6. Sam Croke
7. Jack McCalman
8. Ollie Kamp

9. Mitch Short
10. Andrew Deegan
11. Henry Hutchison
12. Jack Redden
13. Alex Newsome
14. Harry Jones
15. Andrew Kellaway

16. Ed Craig
3 b. Francis Brown
17. Nick Kellaway
18. Vuni Fifita *
21. Rory Davis
22. Corey Tulloch
23. Hamish Dunbar
24. Ben Starkey
also
Ned Hanigan
Christian Yassmin

Injured for today but in squad:

LHP - Matt Gibbon * (shoulder) Did not recover
Lock - Ned Hanigan (ankle) OK
Back 3 - Tyson Davis (back) Omitted - there were 25 chosen , not 26 like for the Aus Barbarians squad who were probably allowed an extra player because they have a warm-up game today (Thursday).

Not available today but in squad: Winger - Christian Yassmin

* Matt Gibbon was injured in the hit-out last week. If he doesn't recover in time he will be replaced by Vuni Fifita. Gibbon out - Fifita not confirmed as replacement but put money on it.

My snouts got it spot-on except for confusion about one player which is now resolved because there are 26 in the group, not 25 as I thought. Wrong - Aus Barbarians were allowed to pick 26 but not Qld or NSW.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Concord oval would also go alright.

Yup. Sydney or Brisbane would be workable options.

Reckon the U20s event probably needs to be held in one city/region (i.e. within a 2hr bus commute to all venues) because teams can't really afford to be flying between cities.

But you could probably host it with 3 venues (of capacities say 20k, 10-15k, and 5k).

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Yeah, be great if he was eligible.

Out of interest, I wonder where it's being held next year?

And are we interested in hosting anytime soon?

The event is in its 8th year now (or since 2002 if you include U19/21 making it around 17 tournaments) and has been to most places except Australia.

Given it was in NZ last year, I would have thought it might be in the northern hemisphere again next year, given the 'home' advantage hosting confers, rather than having most teams make the trip down under again.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's gone Wales, Japan, Argentina, Italy, SA, France, NZ, Italy since starting in 08. Except for Japan that's a straight north-south alternation. Every other major southern nation has held it, so by rights it should be ours, no contest, assuming we actually want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.