• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW team

NSW.png

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Side Line Eye,

The team has just gone up on the Tahs site - I was looking all morning but missed it.

Good to see that there are no late changes for further injuries.

Well done to Jack Mac as the captain, as he was for Aus Schools.

I thought that Hanigan was the only other likely candidate.

And I see that LHP Fereti Sa'aga is the captain of the Barbarians; I didn't pick up on that before. He is well-regarded by the Rebels and is in their pathway programme, as is his tighthead prop younger brother RJ who is also a Barbarian.

But wait there's more: youngest brother Alex captained the Rebels U14 side in NZ last year; put his down his name for the U20s in a few years' time.

Imagine the weekly food bill for the family - and dad is no small unit either.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Interested to know more about the WA guys. From Google it seems Winter is a second rower, Fielea is a winger, Tayler is a scrumhalf, Cudd is another winger and Anderson is an 8. Hope the forwards are big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Side Line Eye,
And I see that LHP Fereti Sa'aga is the captain of the Barbarians; I didn't pick up on that before. He is well-regarded by the Rebels and is in their pathway programme, as is his tighthead prop younger brother RJ who is also a Barbarian.

But wait there's more: youngest brother Alex captained the Rebels U14 side in NZ last year; put his down his name for the U20s in a few years' time.

Imagine the weekly food bill for the family - and dad is no small unit either.

The even better news is that Alex is a hooker and RJ prefers tight head. So in a few years we might see a front row of Sa'aga, Sa'aga and Sa'aga.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's gone Wales, Japan, Argentina, Italy, SA, France, NZ, Italy since starting in 08. Except for Japan that's a straight north-south alternation. Every other major southern nation has held it, so by rights it should be ours, no contest, assuming we actually want it.

Why wouldn't we want it?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Does it cost the ARU money?
Who knows.

But it probably costs at least $100k to send a side to Europe, so they'd save a good chunk of that to get a home tournament.

Using my SEQ example, say they used Ballymore and Ballymore No.2 as their big and small venue. Not sure of the suitability of No.2 but if it's good then that's all in-house to the QRU (plus whatever ticket revenue they can add).

They'd just need to find another mid-capacity ground somewhere and it's done.

T

TOCC

Who knows.

But it probably costs at least $100k to send a side to Europe, so they'd save a good chunk of that to get a home tournament.

Using my SEQ example, say they used Ballymore and Ballymore No.2 as their big and small venue. Not sure of the suitability of No.2 but if it's good then that's all in-house to the QRU (plus whatever ticket revenue they can add).

They'd just need to find another mid-capacity ground somewhere and it's done.

I think for tournaments like these which are run and hosted by World Rugby, the costs including transport costs are actually covered by IRB/World Rugby.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think for tournaments like these which are run and hosted by World Rugby, the costs including transport costs are actually covered by IRB/World Rugby.

Fair enough. It would work out to a decent chunk of change, though. Excluding the quadrennial WCs (men/women) + annual 7s circuits which would generate some TV revenue, there'd be:

Junior World Cup + Trophy (20 teams per year)​
Pacific Challenge + Cup (12 per year)​
Americas Rugby Champs (4 per year)​

So WR (World Rugby) probably dole out more than 3 mill a year in that case. Do the hosts get to add or subtract from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.