• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ARU Media Unit Match report is up here for NSW v Australian Barbarians match here: http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...ian-Barbarians-at-national-championships.aspx

Cameron Orr and The "Harry Badger" Jones
150323%20NSW%20edit.jpg

Qld v Fiji Match report here: http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...4892/Queensland-holds-off-flying-Fijians.aspx

James Dalgleish and Patrick James
150323%20QLD%20edit.jpg

Pix: ARU Media Unit

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Hi team have a bit of an update from Tahs v Baas..
Apparently both teams at each other from start with some brutal defence from both sides for 80 minutes.
Tahs looked very organised in defence and worked hard against some bigger oponents in a lot of positions. They played well above their weight so to speak .
Sandell and some of his mates were getting hit hard but were cleverly rolling with the blows and still securing a good layback of the ball to ignite the backline.
Croke at 6 was breaking the defensive line regularly setting up further raids and 7 was cleverly ghosting his team mate in the 22 and picked up a classic try for good support.
Baas were still a composed unit until just after second half when Hanigan who did a lot of work as did 8, was replaced ( a knock I think) and the scrum was rearranged a bit with Croke to lock.
We all thought that the Tahs might be vulnerable at scrum time especially as the Baas brought on some fresh men but they actually stepped up a gear and demolished the Baas scrum at most sets after that.
The left winger jones finished off quite a few tries for the team but also did a wingers 101 lesson on his opposite on a couple of occasions .
Mr kellaway was just watching most of the match while his counterpart enjoyed crossing the chalk.
liked the nippy halfback and when some replacements were made in the tahs the inside channels were opened u by some cheeky running by the new guys.
A few little errors in red zone have got to be weeded out but the coaches have to be pretty pleased with that effort as well as ALL the players including subs.
They look a well balanced side with some form players in key positions to keep the coaches awake late at night.

Bill McLean (32)
@Newbie,

BAsed on your observations from the weekends games between NSW QLD and Baa Baa's,

Would you care to have a stab at an Aus 15 and possibly 23?

Hans you must be reading my mind! I was only thinking about this very thing this afternoon! I will have one ready for your perusal soon mate!

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Good afternoon all, sorry my two cents is coming late but thats is what happens when you spend the days at the rugby other things need to be done. NSW looked good from the outset, for the first 20 minutes they were all over the baas like a cheap suit, but it must be said that 10 mins of that was 15 on 14. Jones was on the end of some great lead up work but finished very well. After the sides evened up again there was some brutal rugby, big hits, intense end to end stuff and the baas gave as good as they got. After 18 minutes NSW were 16 - nil up but went into the sheds at 16 - 6. The baas were in the game up to their ears. As reported above almost straight after half time Ta Hosea was sent off for his second infringement. I have no problem with the ten he coped in the first half, it is not world championship wrestling and you can't suplex a bloke. But the so called late tackle I just can't agree with. He was committed to the tackle and hit him just as the ball left his boot. I am not saying that he stayed down but he seemed to get better when he saw the red card. And as they say in the classics that was all she wrote. The baas tried hard for the rest of the game but were not in the contest it was a sheer numbers game and unfortunateley for J. Kotz, who replaced Cudd on the right wing at half time and was running on one leg after Saturday, was on the end of NSW putting Jones over in the corner for another three in the second half taking his total to five. I spoke to a couple of the NSW guys after the game who said it was a lot more physical than the Tonga match. NSW were very good and their combinations were crisp. I am not taking anything away from them but I would have liked to see the game 15 on 15. If there was an area to work on they need to convert their tries but the fact that 5 of them were scored on the wing didn't help. The reason I bring this up is that overall the goal kickers in this series have been very very impressive.

The baas were missing JR (K Morgan) with an ankle injury and one of the big units who was knocked out on Saturday and therefore had to sit out. On that note they will be without Harrison LLoyd for the Fiji game after he was concussed today.

I stayed for the QLD game and thought that Fiji might upset them when they took the the lead into half time but after the break Qld were camped in the Fiji 22 for the entire half scoring three tries to nil and taking the chocolates.

From what I have seen NSW will beat Qld and end deserving winners of the comp they will also dominate the Aussie selections.

If the baas can field a decent side after three bruising encounters I think that they have the side to score enough points against Fiji ending 2 and 2 from their games and better for the experience. Don't count on these guys missing selections in the Aussie side too. They will get some don't worry about that.

As for Jamie Kotz he will need to pick himself up dust himself off and get ready for the Under 18's Australian 7s camp. As far as I know he is the only bloke from this comp in the 25 man training squad to go to the youth Commonwealth Games in Samoa. And yes I Am biased, he is my nephew.

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
any chance of the team list for the Fijian 20's side?

also any word on how the front row for the baa baas went? in particular the country boys, the hooker P.Bradford, and the Prop B.Walsh?

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
. / snip / Maybe the usual tournament rules from National Schoolboys, requiring each lad to get a starting game, don't apply. Thompson and fellow selectors have probably seem all of the 3 squads numerous times over the past 6 months, and maybe want to see how the first choice lads do with short turnaround tournament play, more than giving all a prize.

For many a gig at Jnr World Cup is the start of a professional rugby career, and there selections there are based entirely on performance (and injury status!). Perhaps it's time for the real world.

I reckon that all the young men in Canberra are fairly realistic about their chances and there will not be too many dummy spits from the players or their connections that they "travelled all this way and I (or My Precious Darling) didn't get any game time".

Hugh, you are right about the above re game time. Rappy has told the boys they are there to win the tournament, as convincingly as possible, so they are starting with their strongest team at every match. Subs are only being used for injury, and to keep the starting players a little fresher for the next match, and in the last 20 if they are far enough ahead, to keep reserves something close to match fit. There is no time on the field for anyone unless it will help them win the tournament in the long run.

I hear the camp for the boys is not all video reviews and strategy workshops. They seem to be keeping it a bit real and giving them some time off to goof around and enjoy themselves, either side of serious analysis sessions and ice baths. This business-like approach tinted with a good dose of cameraderie seems to be paying off as the boys all look very relaxed at game time.

Also, there'll be no dummy spitting from what I can tell - they all seem to be having a good time and are grateful to be there at all. This goes for all three Aussie camps - I think they are a pretty realistic and well balanced bunch of young men :)

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
I hear the camp for the boys is not all video reviews and strategy workshops. They seem to be keeping it a bit real and giving them some time off to goof around and enjoy themselves, either side of serious analysis sessions and ice baths. This business-like approach tinted with a good dose of cameraderie seems to be paying off as the boys all look very relaxed at game time.

Also, there'll be no dummy spitting from what I can tell - they all seem to be having a good time and are grateful to be there at all. This goes for all three Aussie camps - I think they are a pretty realistic and well balanced bunch of young men :)
I could not agree more. it seems that, from the people I have spoken too, this has been a taste of professional sport. They each have their rooms, good food, some free time and professional training and massage and focus on getting the best out of all players. Apart from the programmes not having any detail of the teams and lack of promotion of the tournament I think that ARU done great job of the player side of the tournament. And as a result there has been some great Rugby played by all sides regardless of a couple of lopsided scores (NSW games, the other games have been in the balance with a couple to go).

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Trying to work out where all the NSW U20s will play in their Sydney club
I think this right but not one hundred percent. Don't know which club Brown is linked to.
CameronOrrWest Harbour
FolauFaingaaSydney Uni
Matthew SandellSydney Uni
Vunipola FifitaRandwick
Edward CraigEastwood
Francis Brown
Ned HaniganRandwick
Harrison WilliamsSydney Uni
NickKellawayRandwick
Olly Kamp Randwick
RoryDavis Southern Districts
Andrew DeeganRandwick
Henry HutchisonRandwick
Ben StarkeyRandwick
Andrew Kellaway (VC)Randwick
Jack ReddenSydney Uni
Alex NewsomeEastern Suburbs
Lukhan Lealaiauloco – Tui Randwick
Hamish DunbarSydney Uni
Mitchell ShortRandwick
HarryJones Warringah
Christian YassminSydney Uni
Sam Croke Norths
CoreyTullochNorths
JackMcCalman(C)Sydney Uni

NSW Country/Baabaas
JoshVainikoloNorthern Suburbs

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Ok, have re-read all of the posts from the games so far, and i am going to take a stab at an Aus 23, factoring in players who are likely's as well as those who appear to be performing well:

1. C Orr (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
2. F Fainga'a (NSW) - Big wraps from the NSW thread members and no other hookers really putting hands up
3. M Sandell (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
4. Ned Hanigan (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
5. Rhodda (QLD) - Big wraps from match reports
6. Korzyck (QLD) - Solid performer
7. B Wilkin (QLD) - Currently with the Aus 7's
8. L Faiksolea (QLD) - 2014 AUS squad member
9. M Short (NSW) - Wraps from threads
10. A Deegan (NSW) - Just missed 2014 sqaud
11. H Jones (NSW) - great finished
12. J Redden (NSW) - getting great wraps from reports
13. A Kellaway (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
14. C Quick (QLD) - 2014 AUS squad member
15. J Placid (BB) - 2014 AUS squad member

16. T Lomax (BB) - unsure of where to go here, and has been given a wrap
17. C McInnerney (BB) - unsure of where to go here, and has been given a wrap
18. A Pleash (QLD) - unsure of where to go here, and has been given a wrap
19. N Kellaway (NSW) - Locks are light on and he could cover lock and 6 at a pinch
20. S Croke (NSW) - 2014 AUS squad member
21. H Tuttle (QLD) - Injured by suspect would have been starting in QLD
22. D Pauipaa (QLD) - Current Reds squad
23. J Fittock (QLD) - Wraps from current tournament

If they took an additional 4 or 5 players as cover i think:
24. M Gunn (QLD) will likely take another 7 away
25. WA Lock (currently injured) - has got some big wraps on him
26. H Hutchison (NSW) - has wraps and another year in the system
27. Kotz (BB) - Has scored some wraps on him too
28. another prop?

Considering i haven't seen a game yet, will be interesting to see how good our reporters are compared to the view of the selectors?

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Can the Big Red (Magnay) squeeze in to the 28?

I had factored in yet another ginger in the mix, but i doubt the reds will be letting him away in their current state. If they do however, i would expect he will be in or around the starting side, either on the wing or in the centres.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I had factored in yet another ginger in the mix, but i doubt the reds will be letting him away in their current state. If they do however, i would expect he will be in or around the starting side, either on the wing or in the centres.
You maybe right, although hopefully Graham will also be looking to return some older big-money backs into his lineup.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
You maybe right, although hopefully Graham will also be looking to return some older big-money backs into his lineup.

One would hope that they release him for the sake of the U20's and the big fella's development. Would make a dynamite backline if released!

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Hi Jagman cant help you with club placement for brown but I have heard from my Marlins friends in sydney that Croke has been training with Marlins when not on 20s duty??????.Marlins coach used to help Tahs 20s last year.
If thats the case is he the only Manly Player? Didnt they have a crack colts squad last year? As I often see maybe the colts got too old and/or are now dispersed through grade squads.
in any case I like the evolution of the Championship and the way it provides lots of professional titbits to lots of players. I know its only year 2 in its cycle but it is improving all the time particularly as someone else reminded me the upcoming game against NZ 20s is not a trial it is for merit in a Championship.
I hope the ARU find the will and the coupons to really promote it as it will draw a reasonable crowd and lots of interest I reckon.
Mr Buildcorp, the go to man/company for sponsorship ,please take an interest as it could be a good feeder into your NRC tournament and I suppose a "junior test match" on tv(seven 2) would be a stupid idea? Even a replay after shute shield game would do.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hope the Reds do release Magnay, the squad should be back to something like full strength and it'd probably be good for his long term development. If so I'd expect him to come in at 13 pushing Kellaway back to the wing (I understand 13 is Kellaway's preferred position? He doesn't seem to have played there in any significant capacity for a while and I think his finishing ability could be best used running off Magnay)

Status
Not open for further replies.