• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One suspects that the areas of focus for the referees at the Jnr RWC will be similar at the Rugby World Cup, or at least the Referee Bosses are seeing what impact those focus areas have on the game and what feedback there is from the media, players and coaches to see if if they should do similar on the Big Stage at RWC 15.

No real surprises: High tackles, lifting tackles, rolling maul construction, rolling maul obstruction, pulling down the rolling maul, and feeding the scrum straight seem to have attracted attention from the whistleblowing fraternity this time around.

Edit: Seems to be part of an orchestrated campaign from World Rugby. Read this excellent article off the front page of the blog: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/snouts-report-maul-law-reform/

For the real tragics: The text of the new directives, along with some helpful video, can be found here: http://laws.worldrugby.org/index.php?domain=9&language=E

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Congrats to the young England side. Taught us a lesson in forward play and specially scrums. NZ will take this one.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Qwerty51, The crack down on high tackles is a new directive from World Rugby (Still Known As IRB). Kiwis copped quite a few PK for their tackling against Les Frogge, and the Single Malts got a Yellow Card for one of theirs, which seemed to be a little worse than a latter one of theirs that didn't draw the same sanction. Neither of those would have drawn sanction in the schools and Park footy games I watched over the weekend.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't like where rugby is heading based on what I saw. Some of the tackle weren't even as high as the neck.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I don't like where rugby is heading based on what I saw. Some of the tackle weren't even as high as the neck.
I hate using the ref and cards as an excuse. Surely Liebenberg as captain must take responsibality for his yellow. Our team fought bravely while he went off and looked like they have Englands number but it took a lot of energy away which cost them in the end. If you watch the way the England pack scrummed, you'd see they use a very good tactic to neutralise Thomas du Toit. Their pack use their weight to go around him and he did not had an answer. Our pack must be more street wise and he and the locks should have go in lower. Having the one lock on a yellow did not helped at all.

Anyway no excuses, give the England coaching staff credit where its due.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ be careful what you wish for. Holden Cup likely to be scrapped as part of their next TV deal but also likely to be replaced by seperate Queensland- & NSW Cup U21 comps with new teams from PNG, Fiji & additional team(s) from NZ involved. If anything these new comps could drain rugby of even more talent than is currently the case..............

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, maybe. But I think what it comes down to is the spending. The HC 20s are presently operating on a cap of around a quarter mill per side. That's almost in the same sort of ballpark as the state leagues teams (although they have no actual cap).

A reason why they're looking to cull the HC is that the state leagues are just so much better as feeder teams. So the question becomes: Are they going to go from 16 to 30 (say) teams of U20s - on the same sort of payscale?

Are they going to spend more (and perhaps double the number of semi-pro contracts) in this age group? I tend to doubt it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My guess is that part of it is trying to get better value out of the money they spend.

The downside of the Under 20s for the NRL is that only a reasonably small percentage of those players will go on to forge NRL careers and even fewer will do so straight from the under 20s.

By ditching the under 20s perhaps you offer less total opportunities to young players but for the ones you do, you can extend it for a couple of years beyond turning 20 by keeping them in that semi-professional environment.

Of course this assumption is based on the fact that some of the funds previously spent on the under 20s will be spent on the NSW/Qld Cup instead.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Are you going to tell me that LoLo, Gunn, Magnay, Korczyk, Tuttle and Paia'aua shouldn't have been in the squad? Because those are the QLD S15 contracted players, which one of those players shouldn't have been in the squad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will rephrase this to which will be starting roster over the next 2 years. 2 maybe 3. Should they have taken players under an injury cloud?

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone know the broadcast time on Fox for the Aus v Wal game? cant seem to find it in the guide?.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My guess is that part of it is trying to get better value out of the money they spend.

The downside of the Under 20s for the NRL is that only a reasonably small percentage of those players will go on to forge NRL careers and even fewer will do so straight from the under 20s.

By ditching the under 20s perhaps you offer less total opportunities to young players but for the ones you do, you can extend it for a couple of years beyond turning 20 by keeping them in that semi-professional environment.

Of course this assumption is based on the fact that some of the funds previously spent on the under 20s will be spent on the NSW/Qld Cup instead.

As I understand it, expanding the U21 comps is a precursor to another attempt at expanding 1st Grade, the failure of the last attempt supposedly being at least partly due to the lack of enough Grade-quality players.

To a lesser degree it's also about paving the way for those future expansion teams in e.g. Wellington/ Christchurch, PNG/ FNQ, etc. It seems overly ambitious to me, but at least it's a plan..............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom