• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The long and the short is that including Wynne and Elkington in the squad itself makes it stronger, but the real benefit is having the big 5 available for every match. Fagerson, Ritchie and Kinghorn only played one game each in the 6 Nations, while Cummings missed one and Hastings two. Fagerson won't make the trip as he's required for Glasgow, but the rest of the squad are off for a 10 day training camp in France come Friday, albeit I don't think there are any trials, bar maybe topping up numbers with locals for some match simulation.

As for England, I can't really say except for the well publicised Underhill drama. I mean FFS, he's declared his loyalty, Captained your U18s side, is exactly the type of player that they need to bring through to the Full National side, let alome the age grade, and because the Ospreys offered him a training contract while he was studying in Wales, he won't play for them. Absolute Fuckwits.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Junior Springbok squad for World Rugby U20 Championship:
Kwenzo Blose (Prop - Free State)
Jaco Holtzhausen (Prop - Blue Bulls)
Nicolaas Oosthuizen (Prop - Eastern Province)
Franco van den Berg (Prop - Blue Bulls)
Carlü Sadie (Prop - Western Province)

Tango Balekile (Hooker - Eastern Province)
Jan-Henning Campher (Hooker - Blue Bulls)

Ruben de Villiers (Lock - Western Province)
Eli Snyman (Lock - Blue Bulls)
Eduard Zandberg (Lock - Western Province)
Ernst van Rhyn (Lock / Loose forward - Western Province, vice-captain)

Zain Davids (Loose forward - Western Province)
Cobus Wiese (Loose forward - Western Province)

Denzel Hill (No 8 - Blue Bulls)
Junior Pokomela (No 8 - Eastern Province, vice-captain)

James Hall (Scrumhalf - Eastern Province Kings)
Marco Jansen van Vuren (Scrumhalf - Golden Lions)
Embrose Papier (Scrumhalf - Blue Bulls)

Curwin Bosch (Flyhalf / Fullback - Sharks)
Manie Libbok (Flyhalf / Centre - Blue Bulls)

Jeremy Ward (Centre - Eastern Province, captain)
Stedman Gans (Centre - Blue Bulls)
JT Jackson (Centre - Blue Bulls)
Franco Naude (Centre - Blue Bulls)

Mosolwa Mafuma (Wing - Free State)
S’busiso Nkosi (Wing - Sharks)
Edwill van der Merwe (Wing - Western Province)

Keanu Vers (Fullback Eastern Province)

T

TOCC

The ACT Brumbies are set to ask the Australian Rugby Union if young-gun playmakers Jordan Jackson-Hope and Nick Jooste can be released from part of Australia's Under-20s World Cup preparations to stay in Canberra in case they are needed for Super Rugby duties.

And so it begins....
I hope the ARU doesn't support this bid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It would be a shame for either of them to miss such a big occasion, but the Brumbies have very few alternatives atm, if any. Speight, Tomane, To'omua, Smith and Coleman all on the injured list.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If they are contracted to Super Rugby teams there is SFA the Under 20s can do about it.

Besides Adrian Thompson told me last year that Super Rugby has a higher priority.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Perspective? Is that what you call it... :p

Stop bringing history and facts in to augments! Also no logic, rational or using precedent.

Please return to the required irrational, baseless, non-factual rants.

You are also absolutely forbidden to mention that Super Rugby franchises who pay and contract these U20's players most likely are the reason they are not playing NRL or going elsewhere; or that having a career as a Rugby player could be as important as playing in an one off U20's WC.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
You are also absolutely forbidden to mention that Super Rugby franchises who pay and contract these U20's players most likely are the reason they are not playing NRL or going elsewhere; or that having a career as a Rugby player could be as important as playing in an one off U20's WC.

No-one would give up an ongoing NFL Super Rugby career for a shot at a one off international tournament unless they were crazy, would they? Jarryd Hayne.

T

TOCC

I'm honoured that you went back through posts from over 4 years ago to find this..

And yes, that was my opinion back then, at time I also thought Quade Cooper would be the Wallabies 5/8 at the 2015 RWC and the Reds would be a top half team for the next 10 years.

There was also no NRC to provide alternative development pathways nor was there a Super Rugby U20's pathway or Trans-Tasman series.

These days there is a clear development pathways for U20's and its the pinnacle of a long process and season. It vastly improved in value.

And for the record this isn't a parochial thing, I would be annoyed if the Reds tried to prevent Magnay or Tuttle from going on the tour.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As I understand the situation, Larkham at the moment is asking to keep the two players for a (short?) period from the training camp. I'm not sure that they will miss the tournament, (but of course that might yet happen if certain injured players don't make it back from rehab in June).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And for the record this isn't a parochial thing.

zkgnnlua5elyplr90cnt.gif

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Compromise. Take one back and keep one in the U20s.

The Brumbies certainly have an injury crisis in the backs but probably don't need both.........

Jooste would be the obvious pick, being a member of the squad, but that's depending on his fitness.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jooste looked very fit, and played extremely well, in the Saturday U20s match. Three weeks extra training (between U20s and the Brumbies' next match) should dispel any fitness questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.