• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Schools Rowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
Oh dear me, talk about trying to cause an argument. The topic was, would a crew notice 10kg difference in the boat. That is different from the topic of doing everything possible to minimise the weight in the boat for a race.

I just remembered this was raised last year, and a few articles were posted which reached the conclusion that for every 10kg in a 6:00ish pace boat, was worth roughly 0.2 of a second

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
I just remembered this was raised last year, and a few articles were posted which reached the conclusion that for every 10kg in a 6:00ish pace boat, was worth roughly 0.2 of a second

I don't if this is true or not, it may very well be. The way i see it with this particular discussion, which was stimulated by the Scots coxswains, is that you would rather have a cox weighing 55 kilograms exactly and not having to carry any dead weight which is worse for balance, creates more drag and will have more of an effect. I wouldn't want to have the smaller, lighter cox for this reason. But that saying if he is better then he deserves his spot in whichever crew he is in i would be fine with that.

The less extra weight you have to carry the better.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think you're right with the per kilo, i'll have a look eventually, it's some interesting physics behind it - maybe when I have a bit less on my plate

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)

Yep, it was raised last year and the discussion was every bit as tedious as this one.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hard 10, I am a big fan of girls rowing and it would be good if there was more discussion about it on this thread. I am not sure if there is a discrepancy in coverage, each of the women's races at World Cups etc are televised just as the men's races are. It is ironic that you posted it though when you were the one who tried to form a breakaway this one with a GPS boys only thread.

This thread definitely includes discussion of women's rowing. The decision to rename the forum last year was a good move and means a richer discussion of rowing in school, club and beyond.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
It is hard to find much discussion about women's rowing on this thread or in past years. I think you bag out Queenwood every time they win the Schoolgirl Head of the River and that is about it. It would be great if you could come out of sniper mode an provide some positive discussion on this thread.

Wow, crying on the inside at your opinion, yeah.

I bag out Queenwood when they choose not to compete in SEVEN fixtures throughout the girls' rowing season. When they then go on to win big-ticket regattas, I call it out as the hollow victory that it is.

All part of the rich tapestry of G+G, Slide Rusher. You're a newbie but you'll get used to it. In the meantime ask LBA for a Bex.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...untry-s-state-sponsored-doping-programme.html
A few things to talk about here, some Aus related, some not, none of it is particularly applicable to the school level, but nonetheless.
1. Good.
2. Please do not place yourselves under the illusion that rowing is a clean sport, and that this does not apply to rowing. The Russian quad was banned earlier this month from competing, after one member tested positive, the NZL M4x took its place. In addition to this, I believe there was an italian member of the pair or reserves who also tested positive recently, however he was not qualified from the Olympics, and was instead given a career ending 4 year ban from FISA governed regattas.
3. Those of you with good memory might now be thinking, hold on, the Russian W8+ came second at the FOQR, and Aus came 3rd, does this mean that, like the NZL M4x, our W8+ can step in? No, and this is unfortunate foresight by the IOC, but the cutoff for rio entries was the 18th, so unfortunately, all Russian boats will not race the olympics, and no boats will take their place

I believe I just spoke about womens rowing, something this post would leave you to believe is quite absurd. How rude of me.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...untry-s-state-sponsored-doping-programme.html
A few things to talk about here, some Aus related, some not, none of it is particularly applicable to the school level, but nonetheless.
1. Good.
2. Please do not place yourselves under the illusion that rowing is a clean sport, and that this does not apply to rowing. The Russian quad was banned earlier this month from competing, after one member tested positive, the NZL M4x took its place. In addition to this, I believe there was an italian member of the pair or reserves who also tested positive recently, however he was not qualified from the Olympics, and was instead given a career ending 4 year ban from FISA governed regattas.
3. Those of you with good memory might now be thinking, hold on, the Russian W8+ came second at the FOQR, and Aus came 3rd, does this mean that, like the NZL M4x, our W8+ can step in? No, and this is unfortunate foresight by the IOC, but the cutoff for rio entries was the 18th, so unfortunately, all Russian boats will not race the olympics, and no boats will take their place

I believe I just spoke about womens rowing, something this post would leave you to believe is quite absurd. How rude of me.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am guessing you didn't do much rowing, I have never heard a rower use the word 'tapestry'. No, I don't think I will get used to it. Nice choice of avatar, I see you agree with my description of you. It would be great if you could put something positive forward to discuss. I have no links to Queenwood, but I did see a few of their races last season and 'hollow' is not a word I would use to describe their races. They were pretty impressive and professional.

Sorry, I missed the memo which stated that rowers could not be articulate. I must alert James Chapman that his MBA will have to be completed in words of one syllable; and Sarah Cook should stick to a kindergarten vocabulary while commentating.

The rich tapestry of life is a fairly common expression among educated people, perhaps of a certain vintage.

As to the hollow victory, Queenwood is a serial offender when it comes to "win-at-all-costs". A few years ago IGSSA rules changed to stop schools such as Queenwood entering Fours all season thus providing no competition in VIIIs for other schools, then suddenly competing in an eight at HOTR and winning. Clearly I wasn't the only one who objected to it. Once the rules changed, they simply stopped entering most of the weekly regattas, again denying other schools the opportunity for competitive eights racing experience. Again, just a spiteful policy which emphasises winning but means their rowers lose the satisfaction of a whole season of senior rowing. That is why I don't care how amazing their HOTR win was, the ethos it represented was contemptible. Ergo, hollow victory.

See definitions if you're struggling to keep up.

Why am I still explaining this to you?

I don't know why you've decided to focus on my opinions in particular, but try to move on.

PS: the avatar is ironic. I won't help you with that one - ask your English teacher.
Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 7.08.49 am.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-25 at 7.06.52 am.png

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
BTS obviously hasn't done much rowing, but not for his large vocabulary, but for the reason that he clearly understands nobody does rowing for 'a fun season of racing'.

Fun seasons of racing only exist when you win. To race rarely and win all of those times only makes the victory sweeter. They raced often enough to prove they were a powerhouse. Everyone wants to win, stop harping on about it.

I would not have rowed if I did not think I had a chance of winning. And I can say that none of the guys in my shed when I was a year 12 would have either.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
BTS obviously hasn't done much rowing, but not for his large vocabulary, but for the reason that he clearly understands nobody does rowing for 'a fun season of racing'. "

That's an impressive display of comprehension there, SBrow. Before I take it to the Board of Studies as an exemplar, could you just use your finger and point to the line where I mentioned fun?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Fun seasons of racing only exist when you win. To race rarely and win all of those times only makes the victory sweeter. They raced often enough to prove they were a powerhouse. Everyone wants to win, stop harping on about it.

Mate I am not the one harping about winning. That would be you.

I didn't bring up Queenwood again. That was you.

I wrote in favour of committing to a whole season of competitive racing.
You took a misty trip down memory lane to revisit your own attitude to winning. That's lovely, I hope you had a swell time - but it has nothing to do with the simple philosophy I was hoping you could grasp.

Both the IGSSA code of conduct and the GPS encourage sport as one part of a balanced life, and discourage placing winning above all else. The complete opposite of the ethos which you so wholeheartedly endorse.

http://www.ahigs.nsw.edu.au/IGSSA/CodeofConduct.aspx

http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/about/code-of-practice/

I'll look out for you on the river when the season begins.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
I never brought up Queenwood, but please stop harping on about how they won, you have no point.
You are the one saying I am clearly a schoolboy rower when you can't have a conversation on this thread without throwing a tantrum and pointing out irrelevant flaws.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
MMmmm. Great to be selected for the Olympics, but, a somewhat disjointed preparation. They go with our best wishes and full support.

In years to come this group will always be able to say they're Olympians.

Status
Not open for further replies.