• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 TV ratings and crowd figures

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. It was more a short hand to say "I agree".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Sydney 7s

Sat 34k
Sun 27k

Not a great start to the year, big drop from 100k last year

1.8m over 4 games. Massive.

NRL nines up a bit, decent cricket numbers, A-league about the same as last year (Ave 71k on both FTA & Fox)

Good luck with the thread this year Strewth.

Reportedly the Women's AFL drew a total of a million viewers over the weekend.

Between the women's AFL and the big bash expanding with netball kicking off on 9 as well. OMG we have some competition for the start of every season from now on.

I think somehow old friend your predication's of last season could turn out to becoming true.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Reportedly the Women's AFL drew a total of a million viewers over the weekend.
The Carlton Vs Collingwood game pulled just under 900,000 alone.

A national TV audience of 896,000, including 593,000 metropolitan free-to-air viewers, 180,000 regional free-to-air viewers and 123,000 on Fox Footy, watched as the Blues won the inaugural AFLW clash in front of a sold-out crowd at Ikon Park.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-04/tv-ratings-bonanza-for-aflw-opener

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Numbers like these should be causing some serious soul-searching.

Obviously there is a huge potential audience for sport.

But not our sport.

SSHhhhhhh

Don't say to much or try to write blog on it.

Better to talk about good news.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
They are having the best season in their history. There are no other major sports being played at the moment. And they can't crack 10k.

Yes it's a Thursday against a struggling opponent, but still that's a worrying figure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's an interesting phenomenon that outside of Sydney FC vs Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne City vs Melbourne Victory that crowds are dire.

I guess that is possible with the huge number of football fans in Australia that don't really follow the A League but will obviously turn out for a big fixture.

Whilst in Super Rugby we have the games which draw a bigger crowd, the fluctuations between crowd numbers are far smaller (suggesting that most of the same people are going to each game).

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I spent three days at the 7s, with my usual Rugby mates having the usual great time on tour, even if I got cooked on day 1 and crashed a bit on day 2. I know the TV audiences were down, but how much is due to the total lack of advertising. How many people outside of the Rugby crowd knew about it.

The actual crowd at the SFS was brilliant, if not a full house it was just a great atmosphere and the Rugby was scintillating.

The biggest problem that Rugby faces is the fact that all the other sports we are competing against have been heavily invested in by the FTA networks. They have a vested interest in making sure that they have a successful product to ensure they get the return. Our only significant investor, for the last 21 years has been Foxtel in Australia and they have done pretty much of nothing to ensure the growth of the game being content to hoard the dwindling customer base along with the rest of their dwindling customer base milking what they can before their business model goes arse up and unfortunately most of our social capital has been burnt along with the greatest chances for growth in Australia we were likely to see.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Mmmmm. Sounds like we are farked, then.

Actually, I would probably put it the other way around. The other sports that FTA invests in are now, and have pretty much always, been more popular than ours. Once it did not matter all that much, back in the good old, bad old, days, of amateurism.

'When we finally went openly professional we had a big bounce in popularity, partly because of the Super League war, partly because the rugby was actually pretty attractive. Those days have gone.

Sadly the dogs have barked and the caravan has moved on.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
It's an interesting phenomenon that outside of Sydney FC vs Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne City vs Melbourne Victory that crowds are dire.

They are having the best season in their history. There are no other major sports being played at the moment. And they can't crack 10k.

Yes it's a Thursday against a struggling opponent, but still that's a worrying figure.

Rant starting =====angry rant ===== been writing and researching this on and off all day and a couple of hours tonight.

Boys boys boys keep the head in the sand, The A-League has no competition, plays in summer and has only a handful of decent crowd games. Your posts sent me on a net search to see if you are right.

I despair at times on Rugby forums how we massage information to suit what looks good for us.

To grow again we need to understand how to grow and IMO the A_league is showing us how yet we seem not capable of recognising it meaning we won't see how to grow before its to late.

Crowds and competition hey lets see if your posts are close or a long way off.

Below I have listed averages by team so far this year for the A=League and our 2016 year. Further I looked at what competition soccer has.

Competition for the A-League [sent by a media client of mine];- it has a very short window during the first 6 to 7 weeks with little competition, then consider how we would go against the following, Melbourne Cup and the Spring Carnvial, V8’s , Bathurst Race, Shield Cricket , Shield ODM, Test Cricket, ODI, BBL, Tennis a number of tournaments including the Australian Open, Golf and the Australian Open, Iron-man, surfing, Australian leg of Bike racing [the tour down under] when their third round starts they are up against Super Rugby, NRL & AFL, their finals are up against Super Rugby, NRL & AFL.

They will draw close to 2 million people through the gate, against our maybe 500, 000 K. They are growing to 12 teams aiming for 16 and have 15 bidders wanting in.

If media rumours are correct they are going to Channel 10 broadcast live on Saturday nights on the primary channel.

But we are superior and it’s just a couple of matches.

The Fox CEO link below is beyond interesting from a rugby stance

If you dare listen to Fox’s CEO Patrick Delany speaking at at a Melbourne Victory Luncheon sent by a client today its also kinda scary he seems to really want to make the A-League work and he is in a very influential position
What he says applies as much to rugby as it does to soccer.

Should watch the start just for the Fox chart and what is not their, remember they are our broadcaster.

https://www.periscope.tv/gomvfc/1ypKdXDLjooKW?t=504

Crowds after 18 rounds .. 1, 188, 250 at 13, 058 per game.

Melbourne Victory == 24.3 k
Western Sydney W = 18.8 k
Sydney FC ====== 16.9 k
Brisbane Roar ===== 15.1 k
Adelaide United === 11.0 k
Perth Glory ====== 10.6 k
Newcastle Jets ==== 8.9 K
Central Coast M === 7.8 k
Wellington Phoe === 6.3 k
http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records.php?type=att

Our crowds last year from Wookies site and the 35 recorded games about 4 not reported
458, 616 at an average of 13, 103.

Tahs ========== 20.2 K
Reds ========== 16.4 K
Brumbies ======= 12.1
Force ==========10.7 K
Rebels ========= 10.0 K

http://footyindustry.com/files/ARU/2016/2016ARURatings.png

Rant over
sorries in advance
feeling of clam approaching as its off my chest.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm not quite sure what your point is, half.

I don't think anyone here is putting their 'head in the sand' about the challenges facing our game.

Your figures show, to me, a broad parity between Super Rugby and the A-League. Now if you were to believe the media coverage every year, soccer in Australia is a 'powerhouse' that is eating up the sporting landscape.

And yet they can only draw similar figures to rugby, which operates in a far more crowded landscape. Not to mention the Socceroos, who struggle to draw crowds for any match.

I'm not saying rugby should be happy with it's current situation. Just that the A-League is held up by some on here as the model we should be following, and I don't think that's the case at all.

When are they announcing TV rights anyway? I recall you posting a while ago they would get MILLIONS from FTA, but it just seems a cavernous silence.......

If media rumours are correct they are going to Channel 10 broadcast live on Saturday nights on the primary channel.

Surely this would mean it gets bumped by the BBL for the two middle months of it's competition?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Barbarian - This is the competition that did a promotion to get people to come to the game by offering a sausage roll if a certain amount of goals were scored by the 70 minute mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.