• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm sure Liam Wright will be in the mix as a returning Aus 7 from last year. Angus Scott Young has played well at 8. We will see how Reece Hewat fares and where he plays this next game against NSW the weekend, coming of a long injury and having been training (non contact) with the Reds main squad, I heard he was going to have a club run last weekend does anybody know how he played?
This weekends games are going to show who is putting their hands up for selection in the NSW and Qld camps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Gen Blue squad listed in Rugby Link for this weekends game vs Qld
5a64ba49d755819052df927ed9b34b73.jpg

S

sidelineview

Changes have been made. Below is the last round Gen Blue team.

23 Jackson Mohi, 17 Cody Walker and 10 Bayley Kuenzle have been added.
Jaffer-Williams and Wilkinson are out; (dropped or injured?)

1. Loose head prop Johnson-Holmes, Harry J
2. Hooker Bradford, Phillip
3. Tight head prop Chapman, Harrison N
4. Left lock McCauley, Ryan D
5. Right lock Piroddi, Tom
6. Left flanker Swinton, Lachlan
7. Right flanker Simpson, Lachlan
8. Number eight Girdler, Max J
9. Scrum half Strang, Theo F (c)
10. Fly half Wilkinson, Nicholas
11. Left wing Ramm, James
12. Left centre Lokotui, Kepu
13. Right centre Chee kam, Esera
14. Right wing Jaffer-Williams, Yirrbi
15. Full back Clements, Tim
16. Reserve Nettleton, Jack Nettleton
17. Reserve Walker, Cody
18. Reserve Matthew, Daniel
19. Reserve mclennan, harry
20. Reserve mcgrath, dom
21. Reserve Travers, Banjo L
22. Reserve Boardman, Daniel
23. Reserve King, Edward

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Interesting to see changes before such a big game. The change of Johnson-Holmes to THP and promotion of Walker reflective on scrums going better with this combination. Wilkinson at 10 injured? I've been impressed by him so far and eligible next year. Don't know anything about his replacement, anyone with any thoughts. Similarly Jaffer-Williams might be injured since he's not on the bench. Heard good things about Mohl. The change at 12 would be based on form but as I said, big restructure before biggest test so far

S

sidelineview

Interesting to see changes before such a big game. The change of Johnson-Holmes to THP and promotion of Walker reflective on scrums going better with this combination. Wilkinson at 10 injured? I've been impressed by him so far and eligible next year. Don't know anything about his replacement, anyone with any thoughts. Similarly Jaffer-Williams might be injured since he's not on the bench. Heard good things about Mohl. The change at 12 would be based on form but as I said, big restructure before biggest test so far

Kuenzle is an U19s player who played 10 for the Baa Baas last season. He's a handy player and it will be interesting to see how he goes at this level. Wilkinson must be injured as his form seems to have been good.

Mohi is another U19s player who was considered very unlucky not to make the Aussie Schoolboys or Baa baas last season. He's very quick and a good finisher.

S

sidelineview

and the left centre from last week is left right out this week.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Most teams are actually running a left/right center system in phase play nowadays, though the traditional inside/outside roles hold true off set piece in attack and D.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting to see changes before such a big game. The change of Johnson-Holmes to THP and promotion of Walker reflective on scrums going better with this combination.

hmmm Walker has been strong with the few opportunities he has had with a number of TH partners and has earned the spot. Though this was likely not part of the season plan.... given both the reserve props in this one have been TH in all other games. keeping Johnson-Holmes at loose given his ball skills an mobility must have been the preferred option. Bradford has been a handy LHP until recently just to throw another Idea out there

oh well two games guaranteed left, if they get those right they may pull a hare out of their jocks and have the ideal combo for the final.

does a final position come down to head to head result or for and against over the competition... I think this came up last year... hopefully not this year

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^^^
Last year NSW finished second on table on points difference but Rebs had same number of premiership points and went through because they beat NSW, I assume this will be the same this year

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
As an aside - from the minnows, who makes the Australian U20s? Not sure if many from the Force do (other than obviously Shambeckler Vui).

From the Rebels, I'd say these guys definitely make it into the squad -
2. Jordan Uelese
5. Esei Haangana
9. Harrison Goddard
10. Jack McGregor
12. Sione Tuipulotu

And these guys are in with a real chance -
3. Vaauli Faamausili
4. Emmanuel Meafou-Latu
8. Sunia Finefeuaki
11. Angelo Leaupepe
13. Hunter Paisami
14. Hayden Sargeant
15. Semisi Tupou

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As an aside - from the minnows, who makes the Australian U20s? Not sure if many from the Force do (other than obviously Shambeckler Vui).

2. Jordan Uelese
5. Esei Haangana
9. Harrison Goddard
10. Jack McGregor
12. Sione Tuipulotu

3. Vaauli Faamausili
4. Emmanuel Meafou-Latu
8. Sunia Finefeuaki
11. Angelo Leaupepe
13. Hunter Paisami
14. Hayden Sargeant
15. Semisi Tupou

Haven't seen any Rebels games - how has 7. Jack Farrell been going???

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)

2. Jordan Uelese
5. Esei Haangana
9. Harrison Goddard
10. Jack McGregor
12. Sione Tuipulotu

3. Vaauli Faamausili
4. Emmanuel Meafou-Latu
8. Sunia Finefeuaki
11. Angelo Leaupepe
13. Hunter Paisami
14. Hayden Sargeant
15. Semisi Tupou
I think the jury is still out on Harrison and Jack as a combo. Whether they go with Harry and Hamish with Strang as a backup would be my guess.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
The reason why I question that combo is. Why were they allowed to leave the NSW development structure if they were long term prospects? I think the u20's is all about developing players for future prospects (and I'm playing devils advocate here) don't get me wrong, they are good players, but if you're not on the long term radar, you will find it difficult to get selected unless you show exceptional skills clearly out playing other players in that position.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
McGregor is on a full contract, so that's why he left.

Goddard probably wanted a start rather than being behind Strang (is he a year younger too?)

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
The reason why I question that combo is. Why were they allowed to leave the NSW development structure if they were long term prospects? I think the u20's is all about developing players for future prospects (and I'm playing devils advocate here) don't get me wrong, they are good players, but if you're not on the long term radar, you will find it difficult to get selected unless you show exceptional skills clearly out playing other players in that position.

Hard to outplay someone if you are not on the field or have to share a spot, just sometimes the old adage 'it's harder to get out than get in rings true'
these lads have probably engaged managers that are helping them with decisions. if there is a log jam ahead of you why would you not head somewhere with less competition and the same number of opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.