• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
But isn't that an expected basic skill at this level @thebreakdown? We are not talking throwing 10m reverse flicks! Just simple catch and pass under pressure. Something most all of these young men will have been dealing with for many years.
Do you think tomorrow night the Kiwi's will bring any less aggression to the party?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
But isn't that an expected basic skill at this level @thebreakdown? We are not talking throwing 10m reverse flicks! Just simple catch and pass under pressure. Something most all of these young men will have been dealing with for many years.
Do you think tomorrow night the Kiwi's will bring any less aggression to the party?
Aggression is not the problem, the structured game that NZ plays will be more suitable to the Aus type of rugby, not saying we have a chance of beating them but we will see a better performance by Aus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper

Bob McCowan (2)
Cron's people skills, zero out of one hundred, Crons encouragement of the lads, 0 out of 100. Crons allowing the boys to change the game plan slightly on the fly so as to adjust for opposition 0 out of 100. Cron taking responsibility of game plans and combinations 0 out of 100.
Crons ability to select on form rather than hyped up names less than 0 out of 100.
The entire ABs 20s squad are involved in warm ups and team training. they are going pretty well, tight culture and good vibe.
Cron segregates his players, does not allow players not in the game day to talk to any of the run players let alone train with them. He locked the non players out of the change sheds so they would not distract the others, literally. I think he has some excellent technical abilities, but he is a proper wanker when managing culture and people.

I have watched both games and attended a number of the training sessions, watching within ear shot for the most part. some very very disappointing issues going on.

Crons score card for his overall effort 00000 out of 100.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cron's people skills, zero out of one hundred, Crons encouragement of the lads, 0 out of 100. Crons allowing the boys to change the game plan slightly on the fly so as to adjust for opposition 0 out of 100. Cron taking responsibility of game plans and combinations 0 out of 100.
Crons ability to select on form rather than hyped up names less than 0 out of 100.
The entire ABs 20s squad are involved in warm ups and team training. they are going pretty well, tight culture and good vibe.
Cron segregates his players, does not allow players not in the game day to talk to any of the run players let alone train with them. He locked the non players out of the change sheds so they would not distract the others, literally. I think he has some excellent technical abilities, but he is a proper wanker when managing culture and people.

I have watched both games and attended a number of the training sessions, watching within ear shot for the most part. some very very disappointing issues going on.

Crons score card for his overall effort 00000 out of 100.

Funnily enough I have friends who play 1st grade at Norths and love him.

Not sure they'd agree with that assessment.

Thumper

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep definitely big call, and no my young fellas are not in the squad, didn't even make the qld squad to be truthful. I hate the idea of cotton wool kids but some times we have to take responsibility. But your right I may have gone to far.

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well done to all the boys, few changes there, good to see some of the lads who didn't have a great game get given more time to gel.
Hewitt was absolutely busted when he came off against Fiji, hope he still got some go in those legs.
Thumper I am not sure your seeing the whole picture. My lad didn't quite make it and although I see your point in a few areas, making disparaging commentary like that is poor form.

Agree with Jooste moving to 12, he will deliver ball to Riley and co quicker and more accurately than Hunt. Jooste will not have the same impact on the smash and crash game of Hunt however.

Hooker will make an enormous difference in the set piece.

Not feeling overly confident, if we get within 20 of NZ than we will have made some positive headway.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Be interesting to see who the mid fielders they gona go with? I don't think Jooste will ever be a threat at 12. Hunt has no offloading skill, maybe Ikitau would be my pick 12 but is he a 13??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At this stage I think it's worth giving all the combinations a run; Give them all a go as a true trial. Most bundits expect Australia to loose this one, so let's go for a full trial. There's only upside in this cry for help

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Ok the sage, I'm all in! Let's give the guys another crack at the title, my wife reckons the structure that NZ bring would suit us more than what Fiji applied. So it's good luck from her & good luck from me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
NZ will win this in a canter, unfortunately. The skill levels of quite a few of the Aus boys are quite poor. And the total looks to be a big step down from the individuals in the side - not what I would have expected from a Cron coached side after watching Norths and Eagles last year.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
And the total looks to be a big step down from the individuals in the side - not what I would have expected from a Cron coached side after watching Norths and Eagles last year.
Let's give the bloke until at least the end of the Worlds before weighing in too large.

The Australian par score is around sixth place. If Cron's mob gets that then he's equal to Thompson.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Arguably the best side he has picked for the championship final game with the players he's got. As you say Sage, give the guy's a go. They can only do their best and hope it all comes together for this final game. Good luck lads!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The XV named to play the young Kiwis won't be too far of the mark of those players Cron and Co think are the best XV at Bond.

And I see that hooker Uelese has been released by the Rebels but their development squad lock Ha'angaha is not named - probably because he is still in his U18 year.

The squad for Georgia will likely be named tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what Sevens players will be chosen, if any, and if they will go straight from England to Georgia.

The Sevens lads have had so many injuries lately that I don't think they will give any U20s a release for the last tournament of the year in London.

It's interesting that Isaac Lucas was named on the bench for today's game though - maybe his type of player in the Aussie Sevens team is well-covered.

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Congrats to all the boys selected.
The individual skills have little to do with Cron he's a coach not a magician.
Most of these forwards will be the backbone of the WC campaign, most of the backs won't be.
Add Forwards Hoopert, Vui, Girdler and Tuimalima and Backs McNamara, Stewart, Maddocks, Tuipolotu, Perese, Hutchison, Kennewell and the team looks like a strong National side. Lets be honest after the last few years of results Australia needs to mount a decent assault on the cup or question why they are involved.

As for Thorn no doubt a good coach with more experience than anyone man should have but with the QLD U20's he's had over the last 2 years even Nick Stiles could coach them to being a success ;) He's made little impact with the senior side.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Congrats to all the boys selected.
The individual skills have little to do with Cron he's a coach not a magician.
Most of these forwards will be the backbone of the WC campaign, most of the backs won't be.
Add Forwards Hoopert, Vui, Girdler and Tuimalima and Backs McNamara, Stewart, Maddocks, Tuipolotu, Perese, Hutchison, Kennewell and the team looks like a strong National side. Lets be honest after the last few years of results Australia needs to mount a decent assault on the cup or question why they are involved.

As for Thorn no doubt a good coach with more experience than anyone man should have but with the QLD U20's he's had over the last 2 years even Nick Stiles could coach them to being a success ;) He's made little impact with the senior side.

I think Hooperts injured

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
Let's give the bloke until at least the end of the Worlds before weighing in too large.

The Australian par score is around sixth place. If Cron's mob gets that then he's equal to Thompson.

Like computers garbage in garbage out. Given the 'whiff of Quim" thompson has an influence on what goes in I would not blame Cron for anything

Status
Not open for further replies.