• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wouldn't have publically announced the U19s, it's basically a 'poach here in 2018' list for the Rebels, Brumbies, and Force 20s.

With 10-15 of the U20 squad being U19 aged, there'll only pull another 10-15 up from the current U19 squad, leaving plenty to go elsewhere.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Just received this from a club contact...no changes except for the addition of Hutchison & Kennewell....

It looks like Tim Rapp has given an interview to the excellent Rugby News - that's where it's from - at the same time he sent me the email which I was hanging out for for 10 days.

I didn't include HH and Simon Kennewell in the list because they have contracts with the ARU for Sevens.

They are very unlikely to be available for NSW U20s, but like Super Rugby players, they could be released for Aus U20s, perhaps at Bond University in the Oceania tournament before the national team for the World 20s is finalised.

He's given me the other stuff above too in a different form because they asked similar questions and his answers were phrased differently.

I was going to write a blog on the NSW U20s later because I did one on the Tahs this morning and wanted to stagger the blogs.

Incidentally, the NSW U20s will probably have a refereed hit out at Latham Park on Jan 31st at about 5 pm.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wouldn't have publically announced the U19s, it's basically a 'poach here in 2018' list for the Rebels, Brumbies, and Force 20s.

With 10-15 of the U20 squad being U19 aged, there'll only pull another 10-15 up from the current U19 squad, leaving plenty to go elsewhere.

The Force don't poach for 20s.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Force don't poach for 20s.
They very much do, though I disagree with your framing of "poach".

Every Super Rugby state has the same amount of opportunity for these U20 kids (one squad and 23 spots a week), and they have vastly uneven amounts of talented players. Logic dictates talent would go where it's wanted and the opportunity is. Who knows where a kid like Jake Strachan would be in 2017 if he was the Force 20s starting 10 and not the Qld bench 10 (in a 4-5 game comp, there's not much chance to show your wears as a bench player).

My opinion on the 'smaller' rugby states is that their base should be locals, but from there they should get who's ready and willing. This will still result in a net positive number of non-Sydney/Brisbane raised players playing Super Rugby, and thus the Wallabies.

That's really what it's about. Not ensuring all the local boys get a go, but that the ones that do are of a high standard and can progress.

EDIT: You were quoting me when you used the term 'poach', my bad. I was using it facetiously though.

T

TOCC

Lee I watched the Tahs U20s train for a bit today, apart from a few solid looking front rowers there didn't seem to be much size or height int e squad, maybe not all of them were there training..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah it's hard to assess things at one glance - or two glances in my case - but when the trials are on you know all the best players will be on show and you can get a better picture.

But you know that there won't be too many Roddas or Lukhan T types in the Gen Blue U20 second row this year - that's for sure. Piroddi looks like a more physical player these days, but the others rely more on athleticism.

Neither will there be big no. 8s like the Victorians will have - Rob Leota (who got on the park in Super Rugby for the Rebels v the Crusaders last year) and Sunia Finefeuiaki (the best player at the 2016 schools nationals in my opinion - and who played lock in the Super Rugby U20 final though still in his U18 year, and can play 6 or 8).

These physically dominant players should walk into Oz U20s even though Sunia F. is a 2016 schoolie.

Let's all hope we can keep that young bloke in the country.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah it's hard to assess things at one glance - or two glances in my case - but when the trials are on you know all the best players will be on show and you can get a better picture.

But you know that there won't be too many Roddas or Lukhan T types in the Gen Blue U20 second row this year - that's for sure. Piroddi looks like a more physical player these days, but the others rely more on athleticism.

Neither will there be big no. 8s like the Victorians will have - Rob Leota (who got on the park in Super Rugby for the Rebels v the Crusaders last year) and Sunia Finefeuiaki (the best player at the 2016 schools nationals in my opinion - and who played lock in the Super Rugby U20 final though still in his U18 year, and can play 6 or 8).

These physically dominant players should walk into Oz U20s even though Sunia F. is a 2016 schoolie.

Let's all hope we can keep that young bloke in the country.

Sunia F is more an athletic, octopus arms offloader-type back rower, rather than a wrecking ball, for mine. Probably a long term 6. He did look like a wrecking ball in Schoolboys, but all the future professionals look that way there but when they're with guys more of their ilk their true points-of-difference emerge.

I think Rob might be injured already too, or at least the Rebels FB page has him travelling running clinics in Fiji, and I'd be surprised he was doing that in this part of the year if he was all good.

I'll also add to TOCC that many of the Super teams have their top 1/3 of Super 20s training with their senior squad to make up numbers. Maybe the Tahs are doing this?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Surely Ryan McCauley (lock) and Max Girdler (6) for Gen Blue, would be able to hold their own against any opposition in the u20s comp this year. Assumes McCauley will be available for u20s ie not required by senior Tahs side.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Surely Ryan McCauley (lock) and Max Girdler (6) for Gen Blue, would be able to hold their own against any opposition in the u20s comp this year. Assumes McCauley will be available for u20s ie not required by senior Tahs side.

He looked beaten physically in the NRC for mine, I hope the Tahs would look to Hanigan, McDuling or even Toleafoa for that 3rd lock spot before McCauley.

Great prospect though, he was a 18yo playing a semi-pro comp in a very physical position. Not taking anything away from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.