• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
I did and as I said "unexpectedly" they lost by 3. There was a lot of hype around the Brumbies winning this game. I guess it's never a given until the final whistle. Well done Rebels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I should have got in on this betting action earlier..HTC heard there was some celebrating at the WA club after?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Congratulations to the rebels; a well fought out win. The brumbies didn't have the ability to score enough to overcome the defensive effort of the rebels. Not only that they had the best of the whistle and probably possession but still came up short; brumbies will be nicely battered as the Reds were last week.

Get more interesting next week as the Reds rest and the other teams take each other on. I hope the genblues get some good weather so we can get a gauge of where they are up to.

After this weekend the fight for the halves imo are: nucifora/Stewart > Goddard/McGregor > lonegran/jooste ; jury still out on genblues, Moseley n Horan, more time to get a gauge on them. Qld have the best line out at this stage which may boost their stocks in the 2,4,5 & perhaps 7. Not 100% convinced on the qld 2 does run the ball too far on several occasions losing possession (in int. rugby that doesn't cut it), however throw in and around the park top notch.

In the outside backs thus far qld & Vic take the possies for mine; perhaps the gen blue 13. Interesting weeks ahead. Thus far qld v genblues/ rebels in the final?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok this weeks results. And we have a new leader: well done to linespeed!

Linespeed 2/2 -14
Sage 2/2 -17
Thebreakdown 1/2 -25 &
HTC 1/2 and -28

Just couldn't give you 2/2 thebreakdow sorry mate. Would of loved to, but ....

Overall

Linespeed 2/2 -14
Sage 5/6 -62
HTC 4/6 -128
Thebreakdown 1/2 -25.

Well done guys. Don't forget all are welcome to give their view and score differences. Enter at any stage.

Next week two more great games. Who will win between the old rivals gen blue v the Reds. Plenty of jerseys up for grab in that one.

Then what may be a closer affair then most may think. Will the force get off the canvas and give the young brumbies a fright? Or will the brumbies show their true colours?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Still like A S-Y at 8, tafa was ok at 8, couple of runs, one dropped ball, whereas the A S-Y still a bit clumsy at 6. Tafa needs a lot more experience at General club rugby imo; still reasonable difference between GPS/schoolboys and Prem colts U20. I suppose qld see him for the future (next year). I know some might see this as a bit harsh; but we r at the pointy end of it, where if stuff this up it will show up big time at the wc.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Still like A S-Y at 8, tafa was ok at 8, couple of runs, one dropped ball, whereas the A S-Y still a bit clumsy at 6. Tafa needs a lot more experience at General club rugby imo; still reasonable difference between GPS/schoolboys and Prem colts U20. I suppose qld see him for the future (next year). I know some might see this as a bit harsh; but we r at the pointy end of it, where if stuff this up it will show up big time at the wc.

Reece Hewat back against the Gen Blue. I think you'll see the forwards step up another notch.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Shame for the Brumbies, their team was talked up a lot but they never looked like they were going to win. I'd say the scoreline flattered them.

That's not to say they were bad, but their execution was messy and they never really won any physical battles. Even their tighthead was more about a bad Rebels hook then any kind of physical dominance.

Joost doesn't look to be in the Top 2 Aussie U20 flyhalves, which is worrying for him because he was truly excellent a couple of years ago.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Rebels stepped up physically and forced errors on brumbies. Brumbies had more possession and really should've score but full credit to rebels defensive efforts. Yes amirite, Jooste not really showing the player they have made him up to be IMO. maybe he will progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rebels stepped up physically and forced errors on brumbies. Brumbies had more possession and really should've score but full credit to rebels defensive efforts. Yes amirite, Jooste not really showing the player they have made him up to be IMO. maybe he will progress.

Did Moseley get a run? I think he is a good 10 option. Pity he moved to the Brumbies.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
HTC, Moseley came on last 15 minutes, playing catchup rugby but IMO, he is a good 10 but may have just tried to do too much, as you would trying to get points on the board. Be good to see him start to really judge his comeback. I rate him!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Moseley ran the team better than Jooste, but like thebreakdown said, the context of the game was different by that point.

If I was the Brumbies I'd be looking to get them both into the XV.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
What about Jooste at fullback with Moseley at 10? Not the time now to score individual points with the selectors, more about a winning combination where they are behind the 8 ball. To have such a good player ridding the bench for 15 min game time to me is a no brainer.
They knew the opposition was big in the scrums and especially with the weather and should have suited up for a stronger backline?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Moseley ran the team better than Jooste, but like thebreakdown said, the context of the game was different by that point.

If I was the Brumbies I'd be looking to get them both into the XV.

I think the fast pace that they (the Brumbies) created was part of the larger problem. It was like catch-up football from the kick-off. They need to relax a little more and take more time to set-up their attack They gave away several penalties in the first half due to their over eagerness.

Absolutely agree there is room in the team for both of them. Whether either play inside centre (which Moseley is well versed in) or full back there is room. However when both are in the team ...I think it's a must for them to be regularly involved. Moseley loves the bash n crash and he's tough (just sometimes his body isn't).

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
The sage, I agree how they really created their own problems but I have to compliment rebels pressure applied to the brumbies. Mistakes are normally caused from pressure and lack of ball control in those situations. Yes Sage, maybe slow things down. Moseley IMO will show great skills the more he plays but, again, Sage, I don't think his body can match his mind, if you know what I mean! Still He's got the heart!

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
The sage, I agree how they really created their own problems but I have to compliment rebels pressure applied to the brumbies. Mistakes are normally caused from pressure and lack of ball control in those situations. Yes Sage, maybe slow things down. Moseley IMO will show great skills the more he plays but, again, Sage, I don't think his body can match his mind, if you know what I mean! Still He's got the heart!

He'll come good give him time, he's only played a handful of games since end 2015.

Goodfun

Bob McCowan (2)
Rebels played a very aggressive robust defensive game and credit to them, Rebels 10 played field position very well assisted with some handy service from his partner in crime #9. The 12 imposed himself physically on the game but the 15 was pick of the Rebels in game line advantage, talented young player.
The Rebels forward pack really hunted well together, showed commitment and encouraged each other the entire game, great team play, well done.

Brumbies..... Jooste is the hot topic for all the wrong reasons, he played an epically selfish game, zero communication/combination. It must have been orders from the upper echelon of the brumbies to slot him straight in because I would like to think the 20's coaching staff sure as hell wouldn't have put him in. HTC said Jooste to fullback and Mosley to First Five, I agree for sure.
Jooste destroyed the go forward. Harsh but that's life.
Front row got smacked about in the scrums and general play, the run on hooker should have been hooked clean out of the team, reserve hooker did some good stuff and should be the run on.
Second rowers went well, I thought Swain had a reasonable game and may even snag a bench spot in the Aus 20's.
Back row was high light of the Brumbies (if that's possible), big #6 Valentini
showed why he is going to be a force in the future, he needs to think his game through a bit more but boy I would hate to meet him down a back alley. Number seven Allen had strong 30 minutes making a number of steals and strong in defence, old fashion 7. he went off injured which is a shame because the battle between him and Farrell was building up to be a beauty.
Lieber #8 played an expansive roll, made some good meters.
Young half back showed some ticker but his passing let him down, I reckon this is out of character for him.
Big selections to be made by the coaching staff ahead of the Tahs and some serious head space searching (and there was plenty of space in their heads on Sunday) for the players.

Hats off to the Rebels, team play wins.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Good read Goodfun. Pretty much sums it up. Back to the drawing board Brumbies ....actually throw out the old drawing board and get a new one.
They will need a complete new game plan and reshuffle if they're thinking of beating the Gen Blues.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
HTC, haha, need new drawing board. Rebels are improving after only 2 weeks so I would think this weekend is gona be very interesting. Goodfun commented on the 9 & 10 for rebels. They are key players in the side along with the sheer defensive game they play. Tags better bring their game!!

Status
Not open for further replies.