• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 Quarter Final NSFW Waratahs vs Otago Highlanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Squire put more of a push into it which I think knocked the wind out of Beale. Beale ran into the Highlanders line though and there was going to be contact between the two.

I agree with Gardner on that. Play on.

Would have been a ridiculous penalty.

I think Beale is carrying some rib hurt as well

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Squire on Beale is just one example of a serious trend of putting hits onto players not in possession of the ball. Decoy runners are getting smashed. Players standing beside or behind a breakdown (and not in contact with the ruck/maul) are being cleared out with hard intent.
Players are slowly pushing the allowable boundaries of late/illegal contact further out. Like the frog in cold water, the soon to be boiling water of illegal contact will result in unnecessary injury.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The players not attached to a ruck being cleaned out is a blight on the game. It is no different to a tackle on a player not in possession, which as we know can lead to disallowed tries, YCs and at least a penalty. Same sanction needs to be applied to the clean out of players not attached to a ruck. It is just a nasty tactic of getting rid of part of the defensive line.

The interpretation of a player within 1m of the ruck being legally cleaned out is plain rubbish. Not attached means not part of the ruck.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Squire/Beale collision is a close run thing. The Highlanders had the ball and Beale was on the Highlanders side of the advantage line. In that situation I think Squire was fine. He certainly put a bigger bump on Beale than the other way around but they were running into each other without either player obviously changing their direction.

If Beale had been standing his ground on his side of the advantage line then I think it should be a penalty against Squire then. Where the collision took place was important.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Squires effort was great, warmed the cockles of an old forwards heart (as did Hannigans)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Squire on Beale is just one example of a serious trend of putting hits onto players not in possession of the ball. Decoy runners are getting smashed. Players standing beside or behind a breakdown (and not in contact with the ruck/maul) are being cleared out with hard intent.
Players are slowly pushing the allowable boundaries of late/illegal contact further out. Like the frog in cold water, the soon to be boiling water of illegal contact will result in unnecessary injury.

So who the hell would you penalise, if the Clan had the ball Beale couldn't of been a decoy! I don't think you should penalise Beale either, you know in a fluid game players run into each other, particularly if they watching the ball.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So who the hell would you penalise, if the Clan had the ball Beale couldn't of been a decoy! I don't think you should penalise Beale either, you know in a fluid game players run into each other, particularly if they watching the ball.
You don't penalise anyone i guess. The only reason i thought it might be a penalty is because Squire pushed him over rather than just bumping him off.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If it were to be a penalisable (?) incident, it would surely have been Beale penalised for a tackle on a player without the ball. However, I think the right call was made, play on.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If it were to be a penalisable (?) incident, it would surely have been Beale penalised for a tackle on a player without the ball. However, I think the right call was made, play on.

Hard to make a solid argument that he tackled anyone, when he bounced off like a superball. ;) Maybe penalise him for an egregious ricochet?

Status
Not open for further replies.