• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 Quarter Final NSFW Waratahs vs Otago Highlanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^^^^^^^ Musta been nothing in it, then.
Dumb but not dangerous, definitely would have been some referees that called it a yellow though. I think what helped Hanigan was Gardner saw it himself and made a decision on the spot, chances are if we’d been through half a million slow mo replays he would have gone to the bin.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can anyone explain how Hanigan didn't get yellow-carded for the late, no-arms contact with Sopoaga? Probably didn't matter in the long run but to me it was a pretty obvious Yellow.

Quite honestly I thought it was a YC, thought at that stage maybe Gus was trying to keep all players on field, TMO wasn't overly interested either. I just thought with both no arms and late was what would get card.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ did look like a textbook YC under the current protocols, didn't it? Imagine if EDixon had done it to Foley & a kiwi ref + TMO said penalty only, this thread woulda exploded.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree it could have been a yellow card but that would have been harsh.

It was a late bump but I think calling it "no arms" is a bit silly. He ran into Sopoaga but hardly lined him up and shoulder charged him.

There needs to be some delineation between what is a no arms tackle and what is just one person running into another. I think Gardner got that right.

If that becomes a yellow card then you could say that Hangian rushing through and smashing him late with a legal tackle is a lower offence and should only be a penalty because he used his arms. The impact on Sopoaga would be far more severe in the latter example.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not really sure what your point is. I can't explain why Hanigan was not yellow-carded, i.e. it was probably worth a YC. I also cannot explain why Moody elbowing Beale in the neck, thus taking a player out of a defensive line, thus helping a try getting scored was not even deemed penalty-worthy. Oh, sure it got cited, but that hardly helps during the game. Similar, the French guy with the pulped face. Things seem to get missed, and/or dealt with variably. I guess, at least, Hanigan did get penalised.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^^^ Musta been nothing in it, then.
There was an off the ball incident on Beale earlier that was penalty worthy but went un punished. Swings and roundabouts.

My real gripe with Gardner is his complete disinterest in the offside line. Both sides. How are either team supposed to play against consistently offside defensive lines.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
There was an off the ball incident on Beale earlier that was penalty worthy but went un punished. Swings and roundabouts.

My real gripe with Gardner is his complete disinterest in the offside line. Both sides. How are either team supposed to play against consistently offside defensive lines.

The ARs really should be on this - Gardner is going to be watching the breakdown, the ARs should be letting him know if players are clearly offside. Makes far more sense. And last night, it seemed they were - a few offside calls seemed to come from ARs.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The ARs really should be on this - Gardner is going to be watching the breakdown, the ARs should be letting him know if players are clearly offside. Makes far more sense. And last night, it seemed they were - a few offside calls seemed to come from ARs.
Which is weird because they were so often let go. How do they choose when to ping em and when not to?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Which is weird because they were so often let go. How do they choose when to ping em and when not to?

Well, they're looking at a lot of different things. Plus, they probably see a lot of the marginal offside play as non-contributory, I'm guessing. I mean, if a guy is a foot or two offside but 30m from the play at the time, is it worth penalising? Just, as I say, guessing.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree it could have been a yellow card but that would have been harsh.

It was a late bump but I think calling it "no arms" is a bit silly. He ran into Sopoaga but hardly lined him up and shoulder charged him.

There needs to be some delineation between what is a no arms tackle and what is just one person running into another. I think Gardner got that right.

If that becomes a yellow card then you could say that Hangian rushing through and smashing him late with a legal tackle is a lower offence and should only be a penalty because he used his arms. The impact on Sopoaga would be far more severe in the latter example.

BH, I was pretty sure that Hanigan did actually hit Sopoaga with his shoulder first, but at the time didn't even consider that a yC might have resulted. Just thought it was Hanigan trying to show that he's a hard man. Was happy with the penalty where the ball landed. Many other incidents should be similarly penalised but often are not.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Derpus, Beale was at fault in his collision with Squire. Would have been harsh had he been sanctioned, but Squire did absolutely nothing Wrong imo.

I thought Beale's night was over at that stage, but he did credibly well to stay on and even ramp up his defense later in the game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Derpus, Beale was at fault in his collision with Squire. Would have been harsh had he been sanctioned, but Squire did absolutely nothing Wrong imo.

I thought Beale's night was over at that stage, but he did credibly well to stay on and even ramp up his defense later in the game.
Didnt get the benefit of seeing it on TV but it seemed when they collided Squire pushed him over, as opposed to just bumping into him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Squire put more of a push into it which I think knocked the wind out of Beale. Beale ran into the Highlanders line though and there was going to be contact between the two.

I agree with Gardner on that. Play on.

Would have been a ridiculous penalty.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Hanigan shoulder could be a YC in 2018 the same way ANYTHING can be a fucking YC in 2018.

It wouldn't have shocked me, though it would have annoyed me. It was a penalty, sure, but no need to deprive a team of a player for 10 minutes over that. It was as light as a feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.