• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
At some point, yes. I think it is a fair way away for most sports though.

I spoke to a senior person at the NRL about it last year and they said they looked at it but at the moment the money from the broadcasters is far too great for little risk. Putting it on their own platform that they need to sell has greater potential upside but they literally need hundreds of thousands of subscribers from not long after day 1 not to lose a huge amount of money.

You'd think AFL could start it's own thing pretty easily.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

They're certainly gearing up for it, but they still have a while left on their current agreement with Seven and Foxtel, and I expect another similar agreement to follow while the money coming in is good.

But right now both Foxtel and Seven have outsourced their AFL production to NEP (who also produced the Commonwealth Games broadcast), and it won't be long before the operations for both networks are housed in the same hub.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
They probably could, but does it make sense at the moment?

Ignoring all other broadcasting for the moment.

They generate nearly $420m a year. Say you look at a monthly subscription - you'd need $35m per month. Using a netflixesque $12/month, that's 3 million subscribers a year.

Don't think we are there yet

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Another article claiming that Aus TV ratings for Super Rugby are up, this time with some (carefully?) selected numbers cited:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...al-breaks-the-bank-for-australian-super-rugby

The big question, of course, is a 4% increase off what baseline?

They are up, but from a low base, but the game has painted itself into a corner, they have no bargaining power. It used to be the jewel in the Pay TV staple, now it is a bit player to be fitted in wherever.
When you just have one person at the auction , what chance do you have.

Short term pain for long term gain, but more than likely they will cobble together another 4 years with a new mission statement and bring out a glossy brochure, what choice do they have.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Think it is fair bit better than that. Crowd is all on 1 side,

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Is this true or is it just fudging? It seems to be the stand by excuse trotted out every time the crowd on the TV looks to be miniscule.

I have been to quite a few Brumbies home games where the crowd has been posted as around 8000, or less, and every time it has looked to me that the crowd was fairly evenly dispersed on both sides of the ground.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Is this true or is it just fudging? It seems to be the stand by excuse trotted out every time the crowd on the TV looks to be miniscule.

I have been to quite a few Brumbies home games where the crowd has been posted as around 8000, or less, and every time it has looked to me that the crowd was fairly evenly dispersed on both sides of the ground.
I wasn't there, just watching it in the pub with no commenty.

Looked liked the Northern side was a complete ghost town. But when the cameras went back towards the change rooms there was a reasonable crowd on that side.

Got no idea, but would think a long way better than 5K which someone posted. But a hell of a long way short of 45 k full house.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Haven't seen a crowd figure for Bloos v Clan but the place looked pretty empty, meanwhile 18K were across town watching the Warriors v Dragons. Warriors now 6-1 for the season (Bloos 2-6) so plenty of people jumping on their bandwagon which must be a real worry for the remaining Bloos home games.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
38,000 next door at the SCG looked (and sounded) like they enjoyed themselves, even if they didn't get the result they were looking for

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
38,000 next door at the SCG looked (and sounded) like they enjoyed themselves, even if they didn't get the result they were looking for

That was my next thought as I flicked channels - what the hell are the Swans doing right when the mighty Tahs are playing and the crowd is disappointing

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That was my next thought as I flicked channels - what the hell are the Swans doing right when the mighty Tahs are playing and the crowd is disappointing

Because RA have no control of the draw - that's done by SANZAAR and they don't give a flying f**k about what suits the locals.

Another reason (as if we need another reason) for getting the hell out of super rugby when the current agreement expires in 2020.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

They are playing in a well thought out sporting competition, that delivers to its fans and stakeholders all the ingredients that gave you last night. The Waratahs are playing in Super rugby. Enough said.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Waratahs v Lions - 57k
Blues v Highlanders - 37k

Swans v Crows - 300k + 763k = 1,063k
Broncos v Storm = 280k + 697k = 977k
ALeague final Melb v Bris = 54k + 51k = 105k

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
They are playing in a well thought out sporting competition, that delivers to its fans and stakeholders all the ingredients that gave you last night. The Waratahs are playing in Super rugby. Enough said.
What's the A-League doing wrong?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The Waratahs are playing rugby. Not very well. A game which Australians do not like very much, except at the very highest level. Although the Shute Shield is going okay.

The thing about the AFL is that anybody can walk into a game and pretty quickly pick up what the rules are. Basically, there are only two. Don't drop the ball. Don't hold the man with the ball.

Compare and contrast with our game. Apart from the very highest level, or the club level, the rules and officiating are virtually incomprehensible.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The Waratahs are playing rugby. Not very well. A game which Australians do not like very much, except at the very highest level. Although the Shute Shield is going okay.

The thing about the AFL is that anybody can walk into a game and pretty quickly pick up what the rules are. Basically, there are only two. Don't drop the ball. Don't hold the man with the ball.

Compare and contrast with our game. Apart from the very highest level, or the club level, the rules and officiating are virtually incomprehensible.

Well then if our game is so complicated, you could argue all the more reason to create a more local and tribal competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.