• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Can I suggest we stop with the "made up" crowd number posts in this thread. All we have is what gets reported.

Let's just assume every crowd number is fake and inflated, and that way we don't have to have the same posts every single week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

6821 was what was shown on the screen at the game. :) Wind was cold and crisp enough to give you wind burn!

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
6821 was what was shown on the screen at the game. :) Wind was cold and crisp enough to give you wind burn!
Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to your numbers mst. It's the inevitable, "those numbers are made-up, it wasn't 1/3 full" posts that follow

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thing is, some crowd numbers are more fake and inflated than others.

#inflategate

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I do wonder what effect the Wallabies mid-year tests have on the last few rounds of Super Rugby.

Do people forget Super is on? Or do they not want to go back to chicken sambos after three weeks of prime rib?

I wonder if its the latter, and the exhilarating Australia/Ireland series has exacerbated the issues of Super Rugby by showing people just how good our game can be - tribal, physical, well attended etc.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
We went from 700k+ watching the last test to 40k for reds and 50k tahs v rebs.

where did 500-600k rugby fans go from one week to the next???

Super Rugby has lost the interest and support of Australian rugby fans and I cant begin to imagine what changes they could make to it that would win them back.

the fans have voted with their feet and their remotes. time to be bold RA! very bold!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
We went from 700k+ watching the last test to 40k for reds and 50k tahs v rebs.

where did 500-600k rugby fans go from one week to the next???

Super Rugby has lost the interest and support of Australian rugby fans and I cant begin to imagine what changes they could make to it that would win them back.

the fans have voted with their feet and their remotes. time to be bold RA! very bold!

The vast majority of the 700k+ viewed the game on FTA. Foxtel doesn't have anywhere near the penetration FTA does. Still, you would hope you'd get more of the numbers that did tune into the Fox Sports broadcast. I think a lot of it comes down to Super Rugby having practically no profile in the market as a competition.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
yep FTA makes a remarkable difference. i actually think putting Super Rugby on FTA is the only thing that could save it (in conjunction with scrapping conferences for a full round robin).

but even that solution wouldnt address talent equalisation needs and increased predictability of outcomes.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Can I suggest we stop with the "made up" crowd number posts in this thread. All we have is what gets reported.

Let's just assume every crowd number is fake and inflated, and that way we don't have to have the same posts every single week.

ok.
They are of course fake: 1. The accurate number would be the turnstile count, but they are not programed to count, just to scan and open; 2. Purchased tickets plus paid up membership (ie not the freebies given to school players) number would seem a good start, but then not all members turn up for every game, so this would be slightly higher than actual number present (but I would be happy with those figures).

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I do wonder what effect the Wallabies mid-year tests have on the last few rounds of Super Rugby.

Do people forget Super is on? Or do they not want to go back to chicken sambos after three weeks of prime rib?

I wonder if its the latter, and the exhilarating Australia/Ireland series has exacerbated the issues of Super Rugby by showing people just how good our game can be - tribal, physical, well attended etc.
I’ll speak for myself and the people I go to games with: the June series was great, but we were more excited for the Brumbies to be back, and definitely didn’t forget that this game was on.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

A combo of all, i managed to convince 8 mates to sign up for Rebels memberships this year, only around 3 of us are rusted on fans, the rest enjoy rugby but are more interested in the night out and social element than the game themselves. Once i reminded them on around Thursday there was a game on, most had no idea and ended up not attending for the first time this year due to other commitments.

The break in competition loses all momentum as well, barely a whimper from fans prior to the game that the rebels had won 3 straight and beat a kiwi side away from home the previous competition week, all momentum had gone. The usual influx of Tahs fans was well down despite their momentum this season.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The collapse of support for the Tahs/Brums is really what is driving so much of the downturn in TV ratings across the country.

Comparing with 2015+2016 ratings - Reds and Rebs have pretty much stayed the same, Tahs and Brumbies are down 20 points

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
ok.
They are of course fake: 1. The accurate number would be the turnstile count, but they are not programed to count, just to scan and open; 2. Purchased tickets plus paid up membership (ie not the freebies given to school players) number would seem a good start, but then not all members turn up for every game, so this would be slightly higher than actual number present (but I would be happy with those figures).

We all know this. We've accepted it. Some of us have worked in the game and confirmed it. Let's just move on without the need to continue to reference it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I struggled to give a shit.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
10,340 for Reds v Rebels

81c167c9b86ee6de97ff7f2cde3ccad9.jpg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Tribal. Physical. Well attended. Sounds like the Shute Shield!!

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
We all know this. We've accepted it. Some of us have worked in the game and confirmed it. Let's just move on without the need to continue to reference it.
^^^ We know that is fake . apparently we are moving on and don't need to reference it

Status
Not open for further replies.