• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was also free ticket night where members could get extra tickets. Good to see people actually made use of it though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Crusaders v Highlanders 46k
Reds v Rebs ?
Tahs v Sunwolves 49k
Chiefs v Brums 27k
Hurricanes v blues 41k

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Crusaders v Highlanders 46k
Reds v Rebs ?
Tahs v Sunwolves 49k
Chiefs v Brums 27k
Hurricanes v blues 41k

Not surprised there no Reds/Rebels on Strewth, I think there may have been just too many to count on fingers and toes, but not enought to use a proper crowd counter!

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Stew

I read some time ago the break even crowd numbers for stadium hire costs and Suncorp I think [going from memory] was about 12K & Alliance was about 10K.

Does anyone know what the stadium break even costs are re crowd numbers.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Stew

I read some time ago the break even crowd numbers for stadium hire costs and Suncorp I think [going from memory] was about 12K & Alliance was about 10K.

Does anyone know what the stadium break even costs are re crowd numbers.

Hi there half: just a note re this good question: it's quite hard to easily assess as State Govts often use subsidies to ensure main line teams play at their stadia.

However, I would make an educated guess that the Reds' 2018 run-rate cash-paying home crowds (I note 'cash-paying' as they give out a lot of free tickets nowadays) at realistically c. 6,000-7,000 average would be at the very best break-even and more likely a cash loss after all stadia-related expenses are paid.

The QRU's average gross $ per-ticket yield has been falling as well - eg, before each game I get QRU texts offering me tickets at $16 per home game. And ticketek takes a clip of every ticket sold through them and with Reds pre-paid membership falling the % of tickets sold game-to-game via ticketek would be increasing.

I strongly suspect this - very meagre to zero home game cash profits - is one of the key reasons the QRU had to go cap in hand to RA recently to obtain an advance payment of the RA's annual QRU grant.

Ultimately it's only by looking v closely at an RU's Annual Report does the financial truth of a season's home game profitability or otherwise start to be broadly ascertainable. Even then it's difficult as the total stadia costs can be buried in a range of accounting categories. 'Game Day Income' is usually there for the year but of course this is a gross income, not net profit (loss) figure.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^

Reds

I am going almost from memory of the article I read about two years ago and recently this year the AFL in Brisbane have also complained.

Issue is and I do need help as I know little bits only. Over 5K crowd the QLD gov applies some kinda sporting transport tax per seat sold for all stadiums in Queensland and when this tax is added to the cost of the stadium hire and then security I think the figure I read was 12K to break even.

As I said I could, most likely are wrong in how I have explained it and the figure.

But would love to know the answer, also what the Tahs need to break even as well.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The government includes the costs of public transport in all Suncorp and Gabba tickets. It's around $7 per ticket

You can see the stadiums Queensland annual reports - they charge around $7 per patron across all of their properties.

So it's probably around $14 in costs per person

But who knows what the Reds current arrangement with Suncorp is.

The last time around....
Suncorp Stadium general manager Alan Graham has previously said any side can break even at the venue with a crowd of 5000, depending on the amount of lead-up games and associated staffing levels.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/ballymore-return-still-on-reds-radar-20100915-15cj9.html

We also know the Reds declared a "healthy" surplus around their Matchday income and expense for 2017, but may well be hiding the true picture for both in other categories

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Now that's marketing! :D:D:D

P9DKsbh.jpg

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Chiefs v Hurricanes 54k
Reds v Sunwolves 62k
Highlanders v Rebels 38k
Crusaders v Blues 38k
Waratah v Brumbies 67k

Credit to @mediaweekaus as always

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The Force vs Samoa game has had 142k views on Twitter.

For the record the TV ratings that get posted here are the averages over the length of the program, occasionally we'll get the peak views (most watching at any one time)

Twitter views are really measuring something completely different
Twitter is holding to Media Rating Council standards to account for views—one view equals 2 seconds of play time with at least 50 percent of the video on the screen.

Interesting experiment for WSR though!

Status
Not open for further replies.