• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
The crowd for the Tahs game was 11700k which seems about right. A few more wins/performances should bring a few more. I have decided to drag extra mates to the every game even if I have to pay for tickets myself.

Sounds reasonable although it shows how poor Super Rugby crowds are overall. I would hope that the rugby strongholds of Sydney and Brisbane would bring in significantly higher crowds than Melbourne or Canberra

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The crowd for the Tahs game was 11700k which seems about right. A few more wins/performances should bring a few more. I have decided to drag extra mates to the every game even if I have to pay for tickets myself.

Lets hope for quite a few more, assume say $30.00 a ticket meaning for every extra 1K the Tahs get another 30K, another 10K in the crowd adds $ 300, 000 by 5 games is 1.5 million.

I can recall reading a post about two years ago where Suncorp needed about 12K crowd to break even on stadium hire costs not sure what the break even point is for other stadiums.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
People love a winner but more importantly they need feel part of something, win/loose or draw is the manner of how your team behaves on and off the field that matters. 2017 was a horrible year, I spoke to many mates who like rugby and follow the Tahs yet they are very apprehensive about going back to a game just yet. The problem is that by now some fans are so fed up that they won't settle for a bad win, they want more.

Catch 22 kicking is part of the game and as that Folau try showed it can be something quite special however the Tahs have done so many aimless kicks in the past that you could hear people in the crowd saying "Don't kick!!!" prior to Folau catching the ball...

Anyway it will be a while before we are back to the 20k per game, hopefully we all do our part though, if you can't make the game watch it on TV, listen to the radio. I bought $25 tickets which was very reasonable.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Going to games takes a fair bit of time and also gets expensive when you add on food and drinks, all for only one actual game in most cases.

I think most Rugby fans would attend every game live, if it was convenient to their lifestyle and wallet.

I have two children and work shift work so attending games is almost impossible, I tend to record games on Foxtel and if I am lucky get to start watching the game about 30-40 minutes after kickoff due to dad duties around the house and can knock off most games in 60 minutes if I cut out the bits where the ball is not in play.

The only hop of ever getting to big crowds again on a regular basis is to have stadiums near large property developments, multiple high rise structures with large populations that are only a 10 minute walk to the game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
and blues v chiefs 36k

Cricket was king but the Reds game rated higher than V8s, A-league Melbourne derby and AFLW

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Cricket was king but the Reds game rated higher than V8s, A-league Melbourne derby and AFLW

I am actually surprised it was that high, not the best game. I am happy for the Reds, hopefully a few for turn up/tune in next week when they play the Bulls.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think that's probably the lowest ever offical crowd for a Reds match at Ballymore Suncorp (there may have been fewer people in the ground before!) beating the Kings match last year.

Bit of a worry for an Oz derby, and for the first game of the year, lets see what happens when the South Africans start touring.

Over 15,000 for the first game last year against the Sharks.

Even if they're winning, not sure that kicking goals from scrum penalties is going to bring them streaming through the gates either.....

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And, the biggest concern of all, neither the AFL nor the NRL has started its season proper, yet.

But the quality of the game, as perceived, is not the reason that the attendance was poor. None of us is clairvoyant. Who can predict that a game will not be worth going to watch, because the home team will not score any tries?

This is a bewildering proposition. Crowd attendance based on hindsight?????

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
And, the biggest concern of all, neither the AFL nor the NRL has started its season proper, yet.

But the quality of the game, as perceived, is not the reason that the attendance was poor. None of us is clairvoyant. Who can predict that a game will not be worth going to watch, because the home team will not score any tries?

This is a bewildering proposition. Crowd attendance based on hindsight?????

Was talking about next week with that last line

T

TOCC

Round 3

REDvBRU 73K
BLUvCHI 36k
CRUvSTO 38k

Nothing on the REBvSUN match, so assume it was pretty low

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The crowd numbers at almost every game look so bad. Doesn't look anywhere near 10k at any game. Maybe the sunwolves.

Such a shame as the force would be drawing around 15 on average and 20odd for kiwi games.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

The crowd numbers at almost every game look so bad. Doesn't look anywhere near 10k at any game. Maybe the sunwolves.

Such a shame as the force would be drawing around 15 on average and 20odd for kiwi games.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Doubt it.. Force have passionate fans but there aren’t heaps of them.
Only twice in 2017 did the crowds at nib nudge above 10k, and were as low as 7k on two occasions. No doubt the 2017 figures were impacted by the uncertainty of Super Rugby, but the decline in crowds also reflects a wider trend not just in the other states, but WA as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If there was no plan to cut a team the Force would likely stilll be drawing the same poor crowds they were getting before the announcement, which acted as a catalyst to rally support and attract the larger crowds last year..........

T

TOCC

If there was no plan to cut a team the Force would likely stilll be drawing the same poor crowds they were getting before the announcement, which acted as a catalyst to rally support and attract the larger crowds last year....

Force crowds declined from 2016 to 2017, like every Australian team.. i don't think you can argue that the decision to cut the Force attracted larger crowds, in fact i would argue the opposite, that the uncertainty over the future damaged the Forces crowds in 2017. However I do think it extracted extra passion from the diehard fans.

In saying that, its been years since the Force attracted average crowds of 15k for domestic derbies or 20k for kiwi games. The decline in western force crowds is a reflection of the general malaise to the competition all across SANZAAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.