• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
The crowd numbers at almost every game look so bad. Doesn't look anywhere near 10k at any game. Maybe the sunwolves.

Such a shame as the force would be drawing around 15 on average and 20odd for kiwi games.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Based on what? The average crowds in 2016 for the Force were well below 10k.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes Jamie I am hoping to at some stage to drag a few mates along to a Tahs game but for that to happen I need them to show they are once again competitive and playing decent rugby.

As amongst my group of mates who go to various sporting events etc I am the only hard core rugby man and I use to be able to easily drag them along to couple of Tahs games few years ago but now most of them would be reluctant to spend the money for that given dross ditched out in last couple of seasons. Rugby has just had a bad spell at pro level but been successful in dragging them now to local club rugby and NRC where we retreated to. But even that is same with (past) Tah season ticket holders I know who were hard core just don't go either at all or as much but could win them back if they started playing decent and consistently good rugby again. As example I use to wear tahs cap out now and again casually when out and about as part of the cap collection. I stopped that last year as felt was like wearing a badly fitted cheap Big W cap. You get the picture.

Only way to get the fans back is to play good attractive rugby consistently. Hope they do and I will be able to drag myself and my mates back to a few games a season like the good old days.

T

TOCC

But, but, they would have been much higher, if only errrr something or other.

Yeah unfortunately rugby fans in all states have lost interest in the Super Rugby concept, WA was no different, just pulling fans from a smaller catchment.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Yes Jamie I am hoping to at some stage to drag a few mates along to a Tahs game but for that to happen I need them to show they are once again competitive and playing decent rugby.

Yep you nailed it! Sometimes I feel that the damage has been done, you can not underestimate the influence that a bad brand of rugby has had in the organisation. It really feels like even if we win well, some old fans will wait for that next defeat and moan "I told you so"

Anyway I remain optimistic and I already have the same crew on board for the Rebels game, a mate of mine that had not been to the rugby in years quite enjoyed that last minute try against the Stormers

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It would be fascinating (albeit very depressing) to see a graphical representation of average Tahs crowds over the last, say, 10 years.

My own very subjective opinion is that the rot started when Lote got the chop. He was a huge drawcard, I reckon, particularly amongst the kids. Since then, Izzy aside, who have the Tahs drawcards been?

Anybody who believes that the current situation is all the fault of the most recent Soup upheavals, have a look at the longer term trends.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Yes it has been a steady decline and you can factor in a number of things, I agree that Lote was a major drawcard but alos we had some woeful coaching structures throughout the years based on this negative brand of footy that pushed the casual fans away.

On another front my wife made a comment at the game that there were no "flames" when the Tahs came on.it got me thinking about all the off filed pre game stuff the Tahs used to do. I remember going to a Tahs vs Crusaders game once and the had a wood chopping comp at half time between Kiwis and Aussies, it was awesome!

Nothing brings the crowds back like a good win and entertaining rugby but they need to do more to capture the non hardcore fans, I would love to see Brumby Jack and Tah Man to race each other at half time for the Brumbies game and winner donates some coin to charity

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
On another front my wife made a comment at the game that there were no "flames" when the Tahs came on.it got me thinking about all the off filed pre game stuff the Tahs used to do. I remember going to a Tahs vs Crusaders game once and the had a wood chopping comp at half time between Kiwis and Aussies, it was awesome!
Brumbies did the same last year. Stripped away the flames / pyro stuff and many other activities including live music that had before every game. When they then sent out the "game day experience" survey it was almost laughable as beyond the game there wasn't much else left to rate or comment about other then to ask what game day experience?

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Brumbies did the same last year. Stripped away the flames / pyro stuff and many other activities including live music that had before every pre-game. When they then sent out the "game day experience" survey it was almost laughable as beyond the game there wasn't much else left to rate or comments about other then to ask what game day experience?

Really? I am not sure where the budget for entertainment is going but come on! Anyway all you can do is support the team I guess

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
10,061 reported in Melbourne for Rebs v Brums

Looked bigger, and especially bigger than the almost identical round 1 crowd

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
at the ground, both games looked about 10K. i've been to all but one Rebels home game and the figures are not so rubbery. last night there seemed to be more people in the eastern stand (in front of TV cameras) which is why it may have looked bigger on the broadcast.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
46k for Rebels v Brumbies
27k Highlanders v Stormers

Back to earth after a couple of good weeks. League had over 260k for each of their games, plus 709k on FTA
Cricket was up around 170k, and Sydney v GWS did 59k. NBL 34k

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Rebels ratings and crowds will be interesting to watch, big call to keep them and they brought a decent squad.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I still think ratings will recover this year as an average per game for the Australian teams. If the Reds can find some form and win a few then they alone could lift the averages.

T

TOCC

Australian Super Rugby TV ratings are completely dependent on the performance of the Tahs and Reds... Rebels may capture a few interstate fans if they play well throughout the year, but the reality is the bulk of the rugby demographic are based in NSW and QLD and aligned to their respective teams.

Reactions: mst

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We should run a big campaign. " Save time, and enjoy the game!!! Record the Super Rugby, then watch it later. You can fast forward through the stoppages!"

Geez some of the stoppages were bloody tedious last night.

D

daz

You are right it looked bigger then Rd 1, because the first round figures were creative accounting

Based on what? You know this how? You don’t see the camera side, so you are basing this on an incomplete picture.

I was at both games, and I honestly thought the round 1 crowd was very slightly bigger. At the very least, comparing the 2 crowds, I’d be pretty comfortable to be told they were both 10K.

D

daz

We should run a big campaign. " Save time, and enjoy the game!!! Record the Super Rugby, then watch it later. You can fast forward through the stoppages!"

Geez some of the stoppages were bloody tedious last night.

Yep, those long stretches of dead time would stretch the interest of the neutral/casual observer.

Not great for the game, and very poor game management by the refs.

Reactions: mst

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yep, those long stretches of dead time would stretch the interest of the neutral/casual observer.

Not great for the game, and very poor game management by the refs.

I posted in the match thread - but the first ten minutes of yesterday's game were just dire. Literally one pass and one tackle from each side in 10 minutes.

I wonder how many people switched over to the league or cricket and never came back

So kickoff doesn't go 10. Scrum, technical scrum free kick. scrum, scrum penalty, lineout, one phase (one pass & one tackle), penalty, lineout, dropped ball, penalty, lineout, penalty, lineout, knock-on, scrum, one phase (1 tackle & one pass and one kick)

Finally the game gets going after the big driving maul 8 mins of game time and over 10 mins real time since kcikoff

And we all wonder why rugby struggles in this country

Status
Not open for further replies.