• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Guys on the pod mentioned last week that the strict schedule was one of Australia's demands when it came to making the Rugby Championship, because they didn't want to compete with the AFL or NRL finals. To which I would say just make sure that you're playing in Brisbane that weekend, but w/e, ARU gonna ARU.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Guys on the pod mentioned last week that the strict schedule was one of Australia's demands when it came to making the Rugby Championship, because they didn't want to compete with the AFL or NRL finals. To which I would say just make sure that you're playing in Brisbane that weekend, but w/e, ARU gonna ARU.
The Gold Coast idea was a fucking abortion.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The AB's tests should be rotated from Sydney to Perth to Brisbane to Melbourne and then rinse and repeat. It is our greatest advertisement for the game and should duly be shared between all the stake holders.

Just like the Arg and SA games should be rotated

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The AB's tests should be rotated from Sydney to Perth to Brisbane to Melbourne and then rinse and repeat. It is our greatest advertisement for the game and should duly be shared between all the stake holders.

Just like the Arg and SA games should be rotated

What about Canberra?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What about Canberra?

It would sell out, but you'll be about 20,000 short of what you'd get in Brisbane or Melbourne............

Having said that, a South African test in Canberra at some point would be a good idea - the crowd sizes for those tests are not that great these days, but unlike Argentina, Fiji etc it would sell out there.......... but that might be an idea to propose when the new stadium gets built.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Major tests (All Blacks, South Africa, England, Lions) will generally have higher numbers because people are more willing to travel from further (and pay the amount asked) to see them. I'll make the trip to up Sydney for a Bledisloe, but not to see Scotland, and so on. At that point, there really is no reason to take the test anywhere but Brisbane or Sydney.

As a Canberran, hell yeah, I want a test in the nation's capital more often, and some kind of reward for having the highest attendance per capita of any Super side in Australia, but I also recognise that home test matches are big money for Australian Rugby and a big part of that is the fact that 60,000 people paying $150 a ticket is just shy of $10,000,000.

However, it's game over for the Wallabies as a national side if we give less than 1/6th of tests to cities like Melbourne and Perth. We need them to know that Australian Rugby thinks of them as home just as much as they think of Sydney or Brisbane, and we need to tap into that primal desire to support the team that plays where you live if we want to capture the hearts of juniors.

We averaged 5.9 tests per year over the last ten years, and this new international calendar is going to help make that more regular. We can also try and get teams that would never tour (like Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Japan, Scotland, Italy, Romania, Georgia, Canada, the US) to have the occasional game in Australia, such that we have a couple of mid-week games to give to smaller venues.

Say the schedule remains a three game tour, a home-and-away Rugby Championship, and we try to get a minnow or two in during the international window. Even discounting the occasional third Bledisloe, that's seven or eight home tests a year. Sydney should always have two. Brisbane, Perth, and Melbourne should always have one, with a second rotating between the three. Canberra, Newcastle, and Gold Coast can rotate the minnow game, and we can consider using that game to establish a Wallabies presence in places like Adelaide, or Townsville, or Gosford.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^ Canberra's smart if for no other reason there is no AFL or A-League, to fight for crowds.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Canberra's an AFL town waiting for an AFL team. I know a ton of people who didn't attend the Wallabies-Argentina game last year because they wanted to watch the GWS semi final on TV, and a ton of people headed up the Hume to watch it live. Probably between two and four thousand potential attendees who stayed away to watch AFL. Couple of Eels fans who went up to Sydney too, but I think that's a smaller portion.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty remarkable scenes in the pro 14 this week. The big teams playing away meant average crowd across the 7 games was a bit over 4000.

2500 at Benetton, a tick over 3000 for the Cheetahs and just 1,142 turned up to see the Kings play the defending champs. If you see the highlights, 1,142 looks generous!

Status
Not open for further replies.