• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

10,021 in Melbourne for game 1 Rebels v Reds last night

An article yesterday from a VRU Board Members said the Rebels were 'hoping' for 10,000, and if they didn't reach that figure there may be some creative accounting to ensure that number was reached....

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
An article yesterday from a VRU Board Members said the Rebels were 'hoping' for 10,000, and if they didn't reach that figure there may be some creative accounting to ensure that number was reached..

Hey, c'mon. The box is ticked. :)

Reactions: mst

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
An article yesterday from a VRU Board Members said the Rebels were 'hoping' for 10,000, and if they didn't reach that figure there may be some creative accounting to ensure that number was reached..

dont really see the point of that.

Crowds are great to have but the main source of income is TV so the crowd is not that important.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
dont really see the point of that.

Crowds are great to have but the main source of income is TV so the crowd is not that important.
the main source of income for financially solvent Super Rugby teams has been sponsorship - where the rebels and force really struggled over the years. The Reds make $2 million+ net from Matchday even recently though, and up to $4m for the good years, which is getting pretty close to the TV numbers

D

daz

I don't believe that for one moment

Yeah, me either. I was there and would have sworn there was closer to 12K.

Anyway, a few more wins and the crowds will get a bit bigger as the year goes on.

T

TOCC

30k capacity... It didn't look 33% full

DWtfHXKU0AAPFkZ.jpg:large

T

TOCC

Probably a similar 10k crowd at the Tahs tonight..

Unfortunately the rugby malaise that tainted the game from 2017 still exists, impacted on the Sydney 7's, Brisbane 10s and now the opening rounds of Super Rugby look to be down in Australia. Its pretty bloody disappointing but understandable given how shit of a year and poorly managed the game was in 2017.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
30k capacity. It didn't look 33% full

DWtfHXKU0AAPFkZ.jpg:large

Except everyone is on the other side. They don’t open half of the photographed side at the moment as there has been no need and it saves costs.

10k doesn’t surprise me based on how historical crowds have looked.

Reactions: daz

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Except everyone is on the other side. They don’t open half of the photographed side at the moment as there has been no need and it saves costs.

10k doesn’t surprise me based on how historical crowds have looked.
you must be a creative accountant too

D

daz

you must be a creative accountant too

The entire upper level on the non-tv camera side is closed. The photo above needs to be put in context. There was easily 10K there, and while that is hardly a number to cause happy sloppy kisses and cartwheels, it’s a start.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
How's the 1/2 price membership initiative going, free entry looks like it would still be too expensive in Melb even on a night with no AFL or NRL competition.
Was that initiative part of Rob Clarke's expensive consultancy?
Slow train wreck happening.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
The entire upper level on the non-tv camera side is closed. The photo above needs to be put in context. There was easily 10K there, and while that is hardly a number to cause happy sloppy kisses and cartwheels, it’s a start.
It didn't look any where near half full on the tv shots, to me, but I can go back and reassess if you want to continue with this claim. IMO there were 7 500 there tops - thats a big difference from the claimed 10 000. Lets see some audited ticketing from AAMI for confirmation

D

daz

It didn't look any where near half full on the tv shots, to me, but I can go back and reassess if you want to continue with this claim. IMO there were 7 500 there tops - thats a big difference from the claimed 10 000. Lets see some audited ticketing from AAMI for confirmation

Ok, you are going down the conspiracy path. I’m stepping off the crazy train you are happily riding. To help you and your mates sleep better, why don’t you sue the ARU and VRU for ticketing data, so you can really see the “truth”.

It’s out there, baby, and will set you free. Woooo.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
This
Tahs crowds do not look good tonight - any suggestions on that figure?
I was at the game. I didn’t think the crowd was too bad may 12k? Really good game to watch IMo everyone on my section was on their feet. If they keep it up they will get a few more. I though the Tahs play pretty well considering how they played last year. The Stormers played to their strengths.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Really enjoyed the Tahs game. Despite the size it was a great vocal crowd. Fun atmosphere.

They had a lot of kids playing before the game and during half time. They’re working really hard on community engagement it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.