• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 TV ratings and crowd numbers

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Let’s face it winters horrible in act and needs a stadium built with a closed roof.

Roof and closer to Civic won't matter much if you are unappealing and dour to watch. One thing Rugby, and especially the Brumbies management, is that sport is partly a popularity contest and you need to have the very basic marketing fundamentals in place to give you some hope.

This season so far they have had minimal fan engagement at games, they forgot to play the Brumbies club song after the massive win against the Chiefs (got widely panned on social media for it!) and key game day merchandise like Brumbies flags etc and not available for sale at the ground - only offsite! But, they did but big Brumbies jersey banner that only TV viewers can see. The "Brumbies" organised supporters squad ended up with about 20 people being interested (keen) to help at game but it appears to have fallen apart after the third round.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Roof and closer to Civic won't matter much if you are unappealing and dour to watch. One thing Rugby, and especially the Brumbies management, is that sport is partly a popularity contest and you need to have the very basic marketing fundamentals in place to give you some hope.
. It's a bit chicken and eggish. If the sport is not popular enough in the first place it will struggle, especially if the grassroots supporters are lazy and used to having everything done for them.

The "Brumbies" organised supporters squad ended up with about 20 people being interested (keen) to help at game but it appears to have fallen apart after the third round.

Sad. Rugby supporters need to put their hands in their pockets and their shoulders to the wheel if we all want the game to survive, let alone prosper.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought it was a good game. Great intensity from the Sunwolves - i think they will surprise a few. Loved the silence for the conversions. Would be a shame if they are cut - who cares if there's only 5 japanese players in the squad

looked a terrific crowd too

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I really enjoy the early Saturday games in Japan, I think the Sunwolves are a great addition and they add a lot in terms of fan engagement, also they are no longer "Points in the bank" for Super Rugby rugby teams, they are here to play!

Tahs vs Brumbies 77k

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I really enjoy the early Saturday games in Japan, I think the Sunwolves are a great addition and they add a lot in terms of fan engagement, also they are no longer "Points in the bank" for Super Rugby rugby teams, they are here to play!

Tahs vs Brumbies 77k

Agreed, their matches are always pretty entertaining too.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
. It's a bit chicken and eggish. If the sport is not popular enough in the first place it will struggle, especially if the grassroots supporters are lazy and used to having everything done for them.

Not really. Off the back off the boardroom saga(s) where many supporters felt ignored the numbers dwindled. Then appointing a coach against a significant public outcry more dwindled. Results got worse more dropped off. Extending the same coach who has taken the team to the worst performances in years most likely won't attract many back in the near future. Brumbies need at least a full season of consistent results to turn the tide under the current arrangements.

Sad. Rugby supporters need to put their hands in their pockets and their shoulders to the wheel if we all want the game to survive, let alone prosper.

It's actually the other way around. The people are keen but its the Brumbies (paid staff) that cant get it together sadly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's actually the other way around. The people are keen but its the Brumbies (paid staff) that cant get it together sadly.
Have to say there were more people than i expected in Canberra when i popped down. Certainly seemed enthusiastic too. Shame the game was diabolical.

Reactions: mst

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Subscribers up to Feb 2019 - (change from 2018)

Netflix 11.2million (up 25%)
Foxtel 4.9million (down 8.9%)
Stan 2.6million (up 46%)
YouTube Premium 1.2million (up 31%)
Fetch 758k (up 9%)
Prime 574k (up 110%)

Foxtel figures include Kayo, at the increasing rate of its decline, Foxtel in its current model wont exist 5 years from now.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Foxtel does have its advantages for a segment of the market. Older, more affluent, more likely to want premium sound through expensive speakers.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Does Foxtel offer better sound over SVOD?

I think Foxtels advantages in its segment of the market are been quickly eroded though, its decline in subscribers is only increasing in rate.. SVOD have made themselves even easier to access and simplified the technology which makes it more adaptable for the older market with new smart TV’s now having direct integration into some SVOD services.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does Foxtel offer better sound over SVOD?

I think Foxtels advantages in its segment of the market are been quickly eroded though, its decline in subscribers is only increasing in rate.. SVOD have made themselves even easier to access and simplified the technology which makes it more adaptable for the older market with new smart TV’s now having direct integration into some SVOD services.

“One factor that remains in Foxtel’s favour is its almost ubiquitious use in pubs, clubs, hotels and other outlets around Australia for watching sport. These Foxtel subscriptions which may number in the hundreds of thousands are not captured in the Roy Morgan consumer data which concentrates on households. Many Australians who watch sport on Foxtel in pubs and clubs around Australia are themselves not subscribers to Foxtel although they do consume Foxtel outside the family home.”

Foxtel's advantage is largely in sport. I think your prediction that the traditional Foxtel subscription model won't exist in 5 years is likely to be substantially incorrect.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Subscribers up to Feb 2019 - (change from 2018)

Netflix 11.2million (up 25%)
Foxtel 4.9million (down 8.9%)
Stan 2.6million (up 46%)
YouTube Premium 1.2million (up 31%)
Fetch 758k (up 9%)
Prime 574k (up 110%)

Foxtel figures include Kayo, at the increasing rate of its decline, Foxtel in its current model wont exist 5 years from now.
Can you post the source? Would love to have a read of that.

Netflix is just about ubiquous on those numbers

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Foxtel does have its advantages for a segment of the market. Older, more affluent, more likely to want premium sound through expensive speakers.
Not to be rude, but older people are also less likely to be able to set up a steaming service.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

It's possibly this one:

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7912-netflix-foxtel-stan-youtube-amazon-february-2019-201903180631

On the use of the term 'household', the number in Australia is about 10 million (multiply by 2.5 people in each = 25 million). So that total of 14 million users would mean a significant chunk of households having multiple subscriptions.

But you're right, 11 million must at least approach the maximum encroach.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
It's possibly this one:

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7912-netflix-foxtel-stan-youtube-amazon-february-2019-201903180631

On the use of the term 'household', the number in Australia is about 10 million (multiply by 2.5 people in each = 25 million). So that total of 14 million users would mean a significant chunk of households having multiple subscriptions.

But you're right, 11 million must at least approach the maximum encroach.
Most streaming services allow you to have multiple user profiles on a single account. Does Netflix count each profile as a user? If so, divide 11.2m by 2.5 (people/household) and you get around 4.8m. A bit under 50% of all households sounds legit to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The stats are for total users so divide all of them by some number for total subscriptions (whether it is the same number is unknown).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Source was today’s AFR, an article on Apples streaming service which is about to launch, it wasn’t a deep dive into the figures by any means, just a comparison.