• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 crowds and ratings

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Masses of social media, a reasonable amount of mainstream media in the newspapers that publish anything relating to rugby. Anyone who has ever engaged with any of the super rugby franchises or Rugby Australia will have been getting emails about it weekly or more.

How many hours of sport are these so called rugby fans watching that they can both be completed unaware that Super Rugby AU was being played for the last three months but would have started watching if a few more TV commercials were played by Fox Sports?

This seems like a massive leap in logic to me. This whole "lots more people would watch rugby if only they knew it was on" trope is a convenient excuse for lack of interest in my view.

BH do you think that advertising generally is worthless or just any associated with rugby?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH do you think that advertising generally is worthless or just any associated with rugby?

I think it produces pretty modest returns and there's a reason why Foxtel doesn't advertise shows that generally rate 40-50k viewers very much because it doesn't add a whole lot to it.

They advertise test rugby more because adding a few % to an audience 5x the size is more worthwhile.

My main point was in response to the assertion that genuine rugby fans had no idea Super Rugby AU was being played which I think is a blatant lie. People seem to stick to this theory that our audience would increase massively if there was more advertising or more content on FTA but every data point we have over years of content suggests that isn't correct. Rugby isn't very popular and our audience scales pretty much precisely with the quality of the event that is on.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Masses of social media, a reasonable amount of mainstream media in the newspapers that publish anything relating to rugby. Anyone who has ever engaged with any of the super rugby franchises or Rugby Australia will have been getting emails about it weekly or more.

How many hours of sport are these so called rugby fans watching that they can both be completed unaware that Super Rugby AU was being played for the last three months but would have started watching if a few more TV commercials were played by Fox Sports?

This seems like a massive leap in logic to me. This whole "lots more people would watch rugby if only they knew it was on" trope is a convenient excuse for lack of interest in my view.

i agree 100% with what you are saying, except rugby social media presence is trash, not enough of it, not engaging enough not innovative enough. Such a criminally underrated means of promoting yourself, and SO FUCKING CHEAP.

Reactions: mst

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
The Foxtel product is atrocious - no promotion accept a few ads - 10 mins chit chat before the match - no real analysis - banal, one eyed, negative commentary (almost every sentence starts with Geez)- 5 minutes post match guffawing that's it.

It's not surprising the rating are down.

It seems pretty clear to me that Foxtel are letting the rugby tank on purpose.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Only a little bit higher than normal games. Goes to show it's mainly rusted on supporters who were watching both games each weekend.
Sadly as known due to all the damage that is all that is left now - got one hell of a job to rebuild and for me to do that needs private equity investment and a significant catalyst (which could be private equity pushing their muscle for change)

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
How do Foxtel count their ratings?

Does it have to be watched live to count?

I rarely watch a game live. By the time I get my 4 and 6 year old to bed, have a feed, pour a drink and settle into the lounge it is usually about 8-8.30pm. I then watch the game that is still in progress and skip through any large breaks in play, injuries, video ref and half time and usually complete the game close to the actual full time.

Do I get counted in ratings? If so, how many people do I count as? There are 4 in my household, but I have never told Foxtel this so I assume they guess the number.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
yes you do - think if you watch within 24 hours (or more) Foxtel counts it. Well so a person I know who works(ed) there...

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Channel 10 reporting 233k viewers. Ranked 19th. (The Block was first with 1.1 mil).
Foxtel figures not available yet.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'd say thats a disappointing figure on both fronts - yes 2pm on a Sunday is a tough one. We need to get back to the mil mark next week for any meaningful 2021 broadcast discussion leverage.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What a pleasure the dulcet tones of Gordon Bray were in comparison to the droning of Kearns

"Surveyor put a huge hit on" How hard is it to make the smallest effort to pronounce a players name correctly? Unless of course Savea is pronounced surveyor and everyone else is wrong. In that case well done Phill.