• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2021 School Rowing

GpsRowing4Life

Frank Row (1)
HI All,
See theres no thread atm.
Whats the news on the water ?
MR

Hi all, the Riverview Gold Cup was on yesterday.

In Heat 1 the results were:
1st Shore - 4:17.09
2nd Scots - 4:25.05
3rd Riverview - 4:28.20
4th High - 4:48.22

In Heat 2, the results were:
1st Kings - 4:17.43
2nd Grammar - 4:21.72
3rd Joeys - 4:24.24
4th Newington - 4:25.07

In the B Final results were:
1st Newington - 4:07.82
2nd Riverview - 4:09.76
3rd Joeys - 4:11.46
4th High - 4:32.32

In the A Final results were:
1st Shore - 3:59.29
2nd Scots - 4:02.75
3rd Kings - 4:06.94
4th Grammar - 4:09.67

Shore looking very strong once again. Scots and Kings are the only ones really contesting Shore at the moment. However Kings have 7 guys in the eight from year 11 which is astounding. Compared with Riverview who have their entire crew from year 12. Just goes to show how well Kings are doing at the moment. Scots also have a few guys from last years win still with them. Grammar a surprise at this time in the season contesting the middle order which is uncommon. Riverview seem to be falling behind the eight ball at the moment. Same with Joeys who have slipped back in recent weeks.

Anyone else got any news?
Thanks

Lotsalunch

Frank Row (1)
A hard week of training for most crews based on reports... with only 1 more SIRC regatta till HOTR

It’s time for HOTR
Predictions everyone!

1st VIII
1. Shore - contenders acquiescent
2. Scots - went for it last year and someone finally knocked off shore can they do it again? Form suggests possibly but more likely 2nd.

3/4/5/6 conditions and illness/injury dependant but looks likely all within 1-2sec, 3 crews with outside chances at Win if shore/scots have a bad day and conditions favour the contenders

Most likely...
3. Kings
4. Grammer
5. Newington
6. Riverview
7. Joeys
8. High

Outside chances...
Kings - could finally put it all together and surprise a win but have been plagued with illness/injury throughout season.
Riverview - Glimmers of speed, a fast 2nd VIII and 1st viii with previous out of form results suggest best is still to come from boys in blue, have finished as high as 2nd.
Newington - with most in GPS VIII would expect consistent front runners, have hit as high as 2nd and lagged as low as 5th. If ignored & a good start could win. Best likely outcome, conservative start, fastest last 500 and get 3rd place.
Grammer - this year group surprised in 2nd at Head of river when in Yr 10 VIIIs can they do it again?

2nd VIII

1. Riverview
2. Shore will get pipped on the day by canvas..
3. Newington Bradbury to 3rd place
4. Scots
5. Kings
6. Grammer
7. Joeys
8. High

GpsRowing4Life

Frank Row (1)
Totally agree. Shore are too far ahead now in the 1st VIII it would take something big to bring them down. Scots seem next likely as we have seen glimmers of hope, same with Kings.

I want to talk about Joeys and Riverview though, correct me if I'm wrong but towards the beginning of the season, their margins with shore were smaller then now. What has happened, I just don't get it.

P.s
I'm a Joeys old boy and still follow the rowing very closely.

A hard week of training for most crews based on reports. with only 1 more SIRC regatta till HOTR

It’s time for HOTR
Predictions everyone!

1st VIII
1. Shore - contenders acquiescent
2. Scots - went for it last year and someone finally knocked off shore can they do it again? Form suggests possibly but more likely 2nd.

3/4/5/6 conditions and illness/injury dependant but looks likely all within 1-2sec, 3 crews with outside chances at Win if shore/scots have a bad day and conditions favour the contenders

Most likely.
3. Kings
4. Grammer
5. Newington
6. Riverview
7. Joeys
8. High

Outside chances.
Kings - could finally put it all together and surprise a win but have been plagued with illness/injury throughout season.
Riverview - Glimmers of speed, a fast 2nd VIII and 1st viii with previous out of form results suggest best is still to come from boys in blue, have finished as high as 2nd.
Newington - with most in GPS VIII would expect consistent front runners, have hit as high as 2nd and lagged as low as 5th. If ignored & a good start could win. Best likely outcome, conservative start, fastest last 500 and get 3rd place.
Grammer - this year group surprised in 2nd at Head of river when in Yr 10 VIIIs can they do it again?

2nd VIII

1. Riverview
2. Shore will get pipped on the day by canvas..
3. Newington Bradbury to 3rd place
4. Scots
5. Kings
6. Grammer
7. Joeys
8. High

GpsRowing4Life

Frank Row (1)
Also, Riverview's 2nd VIII beat their 1st VIII in both races yesterday at SIRC. Not sure if they will change the crews or what, but a few new names in the 2nd VIII whom I've never seen before (must be new year 11).

The 1st VIII has 5 guys from last years VIII which ran 3rd and the remaining 3 rowers are from the 2nd VIII which won last year. Checked rowing nsw and the cox is also the same in the VIII. As we say every year, Riverview's program is designed to peak at HOTR so I believe they are still a chance in the VIII.

Same with Joeys, I believe we are still on the way up getting good boat speed, but left our run too late in the season.

What are everyones thoughts?

Jonterry

Bob McCowan (2)
Also, Riverview's 2nd VIII beat their 1st VIII in both races yesterday at SIRC. Not sure if they will change the crews or what, but a few new names in the 2nd VIII whom I've never seen before (must be new year 11).

The 1st VIII has 5 guys from last years VIII which ran 3rd and the remaining 3 rowers are from the 2nd VIII which won last year. Checked rowing nsw and the cox is also the same in the VIII. As we say every year, Riverview's program is designed to peak at HOTR so I believe they are still a chance in the VIII.

Same with Joeys, I believe we are still on the way up getting good boat speed, but left our run too late in the season.

What are everyones thoughts?

Joeys haven't been in contenders for the 1st VIII since 2015, unless they row a once and lifetime race we're not seeing them on the podium.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Head of the River 2021 Results:Congratulations to The King’s School as 2021 winners of the Head of the River, with Shore 2nd and The Scots College 3rd. Full results here
(AAGPS web site)

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Congratulations to the Kings 1st VIII on their victory (last won in 2007). Seven of the boys are in Year 11.

Today Riverview has broken the AAGPS record (SIRC results spanning from the start in 2001) for the Junior Year 10 1st VIII 2000m HOTR.

Their earlier results at SIRC

- 6th Feb 6.21.88
- 13th Feb 6.25.50
- 27th Feb DNS
- 6th Mar 6.17.76

Today 13th Mar 6.08.67

That's one hell of a coach.

Bigmac75

Bob McCowan (2)
Congratulations to the Kings 1st VIII on their victory (last won in 2007). Seven of the boys are in Year 11.

Today Riverview has broken the AAGPS record (SIRC results spanning from the start in 2001) for the Junior Year 10 1st VIII 2000m HOTR.

Their earlier results at SIRC

- 6th Feb 6.21.88
- 13th Feb 6.25.50
- 27th Feb DNS
- 6th Mar 6.17.76

Today 13th Mar 6.08.67

That's one hell of a coach.
Another year and another relatively disappointing result from shore. Seem to be forming a habit of dominating the early season and then fading on the big day for whatever reason. Once again they went out very fast but faded badly over last 500m. A similar result to last year when scots ran them down. Also riverview from 2018 IIRC performed a similar feat.
Great results for view and kings.

Lotsalunch

Frank Row (1)
Well done Kings for the 1st VIII win finally got a week with all uninjured and well.

I Got both podiums and 2nd VIII winner just not in the right order, and my first outside chance got up :)

Conditions fast today with warm water and the overnight downpour. Top 5 in first viii sub six and winner of 2nd viii sub six, hence the Junior Viii record id say...

Relatively speaking that’s a slower time from shore given conditions but they did hit the podium in all senior boats with a couple of wins... not sure it could be Characterised as a disappointing result and I wouldn’t rule them out for Nationals either.

Top 5 in both races were sub 1:30 first 500m, given conditions would have been interesting to compare gearing of the top 3 in both races

Bigmac75

Bob McCowan (2)
Shore 2 seat ? Shore have done this in the past. Gone out very hard and faded in last 500m. Recall a similar incident 2015 v joeys.
Turns out they lost their 2 seat with a bit over 250 to go - had a melt down poor kid. They would not have beaten Kings but it did effect their time.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
Shore 2 seat ? Shore have done this in the past. Gone out very hard and faded in last 500m. Recall a similar incident 2015 v joeys.
They rowed 5:55 earlier in the season in similar conditions, pace was fine. They just weren’t up to it yesterday for whatever reason. Kings did really well. It’s similar to last year - Shore crew rowed sub:6:00 early season then couldn’t hold their form through to HOTR.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Turns out they lost their 2 seat with a bit over 250 to go - had a melt down poor kid. They would not have beaten Kings but it did effect their time.

7 seat. The replay is on the Cluch app, you can see it quite clearly. A friend of mine was standing in front of a couple of Shore 1st VIII dads and when they saw the first 500m split they commented it was 2 seconds faster than usual and started to panic they would knock up

Shore need to have a good hard look at their overall rowing program. From letting the kids make their own winter sport choice, if they get injured so be it, and giving them the winter off rowing full stop. The same dynamic is appearing every year now - they come out of the blocks ahead of everyone but as the season goes on the others start to peg them back and by the time the Head comes around they are worn out, and most importantly it’s too late to learn how to lose and handle pressure. The same dynamic is apparent from year to year too - the year 8 and year 9 quads win everything but the junior 8s are starting to underperform badly now.

Kings aren’t rowing at the nationals by the way.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
7 seat. The replay is on the Cluch app, you can see it quite clearly. A friend of mine was standing in front of a couple of Shore 1st VIII dads and when they saw the first 500m split they commented it was 2 seconds faster than usual and started to panic they would knock up

Shore need to have a good hard look at their overall rowing program. From letting the kids make their own winter sport choice, if they get injured so be it, and giving them the winter off rowing full stop. The same dynamic is appearing every year now - they come out of the blocks ahead of everyone but as the season goes on the others start to peg them back and by the time the Head comes around they are worn out, and most importantly it’s too late to learn how to lose and handle pressure. The same dynamic is apparent from year to year too - the year 8 and year 9 quads win everything but the junior 8s are starting to underperform badly now.

Kings aren’t rowing at the nationals by the way.
i didn't realise rowing was a year-round program at Shore. I thought of another way to get the boys to rediscover the joy of rowing, understand the impact of external elements, and learn how to handle those twin imposters of triumph and disaster.
Put them into surf boat racing a couple of times a season.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
i didn't realise rowing was a year-round program at Shore. I thought of another way to get the boys to rediscover the joy of rowing, understand the impact of external elements, and learn how to handle those twin imposters of triumph and disaster.
Put them into surf boat racing a couple of times a season.
It’s not a year round sport. That is an urban myth. I have a son who went through the rowing program there for 5 years. He was actively discouraged by the coaches to row in winter when he wanted to join a club. Him and his mates all played rugby - a stack of last years 1st and 2nd viii’s played 1st or 2nds rugby. It’s BS that they row all year.