• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2024 Under 20 Rugby Champs all match discussion thread

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well that’s kind of the point, eventually teams will learn if they want to compete for the kick off they need to go shorter.
And I like it, I am old fashioned and like a kicker putting up a high kick and it getting contested. Always think at back of my mind kicking long is saying your forwards aren't good enough to get under high ball. I know it's probably not, and showing my age where you always went for contestable kick offs.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Congrats to Grey as well. I've been critical as have many in the past but this is a good effort by all to turn it around especially against a side people assume is very strong. Think we would have beaten them given the chance last year as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dunno if they’ve all been his fault but I genuinely don’t think Goldsborogh has caught a single ball all night.
My thoughts exactly. I know it was his first game in the U20s but he had poor handling all night and put a handbrake on a few promising attacking raids.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay:
Screenshot-20240507-183954-Gallery.jpg

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Huge turnaround and to all the naysayers that were going to burn them at the stake after 1 game and chucked a tantrum around the number of team changes, I hope you might wake up to yourselves in future.
I thought the piggies were the star of the show, those that ran on and the reserves off the bench.
Still not convinced Leahy has the hands to be playing anywhere but on the wing.

Shame there is zero coverage here but in SA articles, blogs and YouTube coverage

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
My thoughts exactly. I know it was his first game in the U20s but he had poor handling all night and put a handbrake on a few promising attacking raids.

I do think most of the passes he received were quite poor and tough to take in the conditions, but he should’ve taken most of them still so yeah he’d be disappointed I reckon. I don’t know about handbrake though - I think it was the opposite where some plays broke down when he wasn’t used when in space.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah a lot of change panic happened and there may have been more than planned because of the loss but these are also trials before the JWC. Yes you want continuity but we need to see guys get mins.

5-6 changes for the NZ game again? Some of the guys who have gone back to back might go to the bench and let some of the Argentina game changes rip back in.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
How'd the third Tuipulotu go at hooker?
He went well, tough conditions for a hooker with that on again off again driving rain and wind. I thought our front row were superb in the set piece and around the paddock. Pilfers, strong defence and carries, they definitely did their job well last night.

I do hope that we get at least one game for each of the teams to see some of the backs show us what they are capable of in good conditions.

I don’t know if any of the 4 southern hemisphere teams are playing at a level to knock off the top two or three out of the north at the moment.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The JW dominated the first half. 15 vs 15 and 14 vs 15. In a dry climate they should have scored more tries

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How do we evaluate the two performances? The first game in a cyclone was dire while the second game saw us beat the favoured side after leading most of the way.

Certainly, the scrum and forwards play generally was better in the second game and seemed to just get stronger as replacements came on. But does that explain the better performance by some of the backs, and the better game management, in the second game? Or did the abysmal weather in the first explain most of the sub-standard performance in that game?

Just looking at the second game in isolation, I thought there were some disappointing efforts and some positions where the bench player looked better than the starter. Both starting centres had too many instances of poor ball handling. Leahy improved later in the game and had some excellent involvements, but Goldsborough looked out of his depth. I reckon Cordukes is another who had a poor outing, especially with his indiscipline. The forward pack otherwise played with a degree of aggression and overall matched the Saffas, but the bench front row looked to have more power and impact than the starters. Grey (at 10) and Staniforth outplayed their opposites while Wilcox had his moments in attack, scoring a couple of tries.

A good win and congratulations to the team. Results are probably indicating there's not much between these four sides and any could win on a particular day against any other. Hoping it all comes together for them in the Championships later in the year.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Also something to be said about putting a 10 (Grey) at 10 and not just putting them at 15 because they can do it in the younger age groups. Last year Gordon looked out of place many times at 15 and I know they seem to want to develop it long term there but he looked like a 10 shoved at the back.

They just play when settled and not thinking about as many other details re positioning etc that can take away small percentages from their game.

I think the bench is a spot for a guy like Alatini. Be a handful coming on and go nuts for 30 minutes. Let the technical guys grind out the first half.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
The benc
How do we evaluate the two performances? The first game in a cyclone was dire while the second game saw us beat the favoured side after leading most of the way.

Certainly, the scrum and forwards play generally was better in the second game and seemed to just get stronger as replacements came on. But does that explain the better performance by some of the backs, and the better game management, in the second game? Or did the abysmal weather in the first explain most of the sub-standard performance in that game?

Just looking at the second game in isolation, I thought there were some disappointing efforts and some positions where the bench player looked better than the starter. Both starting centres had too many instances of poor ball handling. Leahy improved later in the game and had some excellent involvements, but Goldsborough looked out of his depth. I reckon Cordukes is another who had a poor outing, especially with his indiscipline. The forward pack otherwise played with a degree of aggression and overall matched the Saffas, but the bench front row looked to have more power and impact than the starters. Grey (at 10) and Staniforth outplayed their opposites while Wilcox had his moments in attack, scoring a couple of tries.

A good win and congratulations to the team. Results are probably indicating there's not much between these four sides and any could win on a particular day against any other. Hoping it all comes together for them in the Championships later in the year.
‘The bench front row looked better and more powerful’
I love these kind of comments, some of the run on side played 60 minutes in that rain and wind, didn’t lose a scrum, turned over ball and carried strong against a front row with over 40kg on them.