• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2024 Under 20 Rugby Champs all match discussion thread

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
1715128849280.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Also something to be said about putting a 10 (Grey) at 10 and not just putting them at 15 because they can do it in the younger age groups. Last year Gordon looked out of place many times at 15 and I know they seem to want to develop it long term there but he looked like a 10 shoved at the back.

They just play when settled and not thinking about as many other details re positioning etc that can take away small percentages from their game.

I think the bench is a spot for a guy like Alatini. Be a handful coming on and go nuts for 30 minutes. Let the technical guys grind out the first half.
Alatini had a big impact off the bench, but equally so was Lington Ieli's impact. They were very impressive at set piece off the bench, but would they/could they be even more so starting?

Love2Scrum

Darby Loudon (17)
Just finished watching the replay as I wasn’t able to watch the game live last night. Wow, the run on forwards put in a massive shift through their set pieces and work rate around the park. Well done lads.

The impact of Tevita Alatini and Lington Ieli of the bench best was impressive.

Hope nothing too serious with Oliver McCrea injury. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
Just finished watching the replay as I wasn’t able to watch the game live last night. Wow, the run on forwards put in a massive shift through their set pieces and work rate around the park. Well done lads.

The impact of Tevita Alatini and Lington Ieli of the bench best was impressive.

Hope nothing too serious with Oliver McCrea injury. Wish him a speedy recovery.
Similar - just watched as short of time y/s. Front five went well, and the backs, apart from slippery ball (not) catching, were the difference imo. BackRow disappointing and out muscled.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Alatini had a big impact off the bench, but equally so was Lington Ieli's impact. They were very impressive at set piece off the bench, but would they/could they be even more so starting?
You rally on about mass changes after a loss now you want to change a winning team.
You rally on about the unfairness of comparing game 1 to game 2, yet you somehow think that comparing 20 minutes off the bench, or 1/4 against 3/4 quarters is ok,

I for one hope that they start both those brumbies just to show you how far behind the run on props they are. Neither of them have the motor, or the work rate to win the set piece and do all the work around the paddock as did the run on players for 60 minutes against fresh players.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Australia U20s to play New Zealand at Sunshine Coast Stadium on Sunday 12 May, 3:30pm AEST

Starters

1 Jack Barrett (Waratahs)
2 Ottavio Tuipulotu (Rebels)
3 Nick Bloomfield (Reds)
4 Toby Macpherson (Brumbies – captain)
5 Harvey Cordukes (Brumbies)
6 Aden Ekanayake (Waratahs)
7 Dane Sawers (Force)
8 Jack Harley (Brumbies)
9 Doug Philipson (Force)
10 Harry McLaughlin-Phillips (Reds)
11 Will McCulloch (Reds)
12 Ronan Leahy (Force – vice captain)
13 Divad Palu (Rebels)
14 Xavier Rubens (Reds)
15 Angus Staniforth (Brumbies)
Finishers

16. Bryn Edwards (Waratahs)
17. Lington Ieli (Brumbies)
18. Tevita Alatini (Brumbies)
19. Ben Daniels (Reds)
20. Ben Di Staso (Waratahs)
21. Hwi Sharples (Waratahs)
22. Joey Fowler (Rebels)
23. Boston Fakafanua (Force)

Cockatoo Run

Herbert Moran (7)
Big shifts required again from Barrett, Macpherson and Leahy tomorrow. I think they are the only starters for all 3 games?

Hope Ollie Mccrea is ok. Seemed serious neck and/or shoulder issue after that red card clean out. I understand they flew Eamon Doyle up as lock/backrow cover. He’s only 18 so good experience for him.

Here’s hoping HMP can get enough good ball in the wet to steer them around the park. A lot required from those who started against the Argies to come back in and make amends. The NH u20’s have really gone ahead in standards in recent years, so tournaments like this are a big help for us.

Love2Scrum

Darby Loudon (17)
Big shifts required again from Barrett, Macpherson and Leahy tomorrow. I think they are the only starters for all 3 games?

Hope Ollie Mccrea is ok. Seemed serious neck and/or shoulder issue after that red card clean out. I understand they flew Eamon Doyle up as lock/backrow cover. He’s only 18 so good experience for him.

Here’s hoping HMP can get enough good ball in the wet to steer them around the park. A lot required from those who started against the Argies to come back in and make amends. The NH u20’s have really gone ahead in standards in recent years, so tournaments like this are a big help for us.
Looks like Jack Barrett will have to back up after tonight’s injury with Harry Johnson-Holmes tonight’s game vs Brumbies